Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa Ferrari 328 GTS

galaxyg

Background:

I am of that generation where the 328 GTS is the answer to the question "What does a Ferrari look like?". That and it's similarity to to the 308 (Magnum's car), the 512 BB , 365 BB and the 288 GTO makes you wonder if Ferrari could've got stuck in the same groove as Porsche - making every car look basically the same. Fortunately not. I regard the 328 GTS as the ultimate development of the classic Ferrari shape. It's a beautiful car, a work of art.

Pros:

Great proportions, clean mouldings and little cleanup required. A full engine is included and the interior is nicely detailed as well. Also comes with a Photo-Etched fret for some of the more detailed parts and badges. The plated wheels look very good.

Cons:

Parts of it are fiddly to put together, especially the front and rear suspension and the exhaust system, the latter of which is a small 3D puzzle to get the parts into place. The instructions are only so-so, certain parts are not easy to follow and the assembly order isn't always logical. Some of the engine parts would have been easier to assemble if not plated. No Italian number plates included, only German ones which seems odd. The passenger side wiper does not conform to the shape of the windscreen at all, as it's entirely straight.

Verdict:

Very good. Builds into a beautiful model of the 328GTS.

Build notes:

I've added seatbelts and retainers, carpeting, plus quite a bit of extra detail to the engine bay by way of hoses, pipes and most noticeably, the oil filter on top. I also changed the rear number plate and swapped the useless passenger windscreen wiper for one from a Daihatsu Move CS kit. The side Ferrari shields are also aftermarket additions. Undercoated with Tamiya pink primer and painted in Tamiya TS-8 Italian red, with a TS-46 Light sand interior.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5

Nicely done Ferrari, Michael and I have found Hasegawa kits to be of good quality. Having built their Suzuki Jimny, I might fancy building a Ferrari myself !

I agree that the 328 GTS is indeed a truly beautiful motor car. Your paint colour is just right, and the engine detail is excellent. The photography really works with the black background, and of course good lighting. You must be very proud of this build, and rightly so.

David

• Like 1

Beautifully built! The detail you put into her is staggering. I suppose that I, too, am of the age that when someone says “Ferrari,” the 328 is the first mental image that arises. Outstanding rendition! And not for nothing, I enjoyed your well thought out and written synopsis of the kit, build, etc.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...