Model Cars Magazine Forum

Entex Corvair Monza GT 1/25 kit is it true 1/25

I dug out the kit.

Its wheelbase is 85.73mm approximately, about 3 3/8", or 3.375"

The real car's wheelbase of 92" divided by the kit wheelbase of 3.375" gives a scale of 27.26 to 1, or approximately 1/27 scale.

No telling why such an oddball scale was used, or why it's labeled as 1/25.

Still, it's close enough to be stretched to correct the dimensions with a reasonable amount of careful work.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

11 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I dug out the kit.

Its wheelbase is 85.73mm approximately, about 3 3/8", or 3.375"

The real car's wheelbase of 92" divided by the kit wheelbase of 3.375" gives a scale of 27.26 to 1, or approximately 1/27 scale.

No telling why such an oddball scale was used, or why it's labeled as 1/25.

Still, it's close enough to be stretched to correct the dimensions with a reasonable amount of careful work.

I have diecasts that scale out to 1/26 and 1/27. If they're shaped right (and if they weren't I wouldn't have bought them), I let them sit proudly on my 1/25 scale. They "fit in" better than the 1/24s, to my eye. 

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I have diecasts that scale out to 1/26 and 1/27. If they're shaped right (and if they weren't I wouldn't have bought them), I let them sit proudly on my 1/25 scale. They "fit in" better than the 1/24s, to my eye. 

Yup, but I still have a difficult time getting my head around why accurate measuring, scaling, and labelling seems to be such an elusive goal.

I've got lotsa stuff marked 1/25 that isn't, 1/24 that isn't, ad nauseum...and kits that include parts in a couple of kinda close scales.

I'd prefer to live in a world where numbers have absolute objective meanings, and not fuzzykindasorta gibberish.

Must be one of those geezer things.  ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'd prefer to live in a world where numbers have absolute objective meanings, and not fuzzykindasorta gibberish.

Must be one of those geezer things.  ;)

Don't worry, it's not just a geezer thing.