Model Cars Magazine Forum

Inexpensive paint booth recommendations

If you go to the “Tips and Tricks” section there is a 17 page thread on “Paint Booths & Safe Ventilation”.  I haven’t read the entire thread, but there are some good tips on building your own booth safely.

Edited by NOBLNG

Cardboard box, 12V bilge fan (USCG 183.410 compliant, ignition protected), furnace filter, dryer duct to outside, duct tape, assembled with common sense.   :D

https://ecfr.io/Title-33/Section-183.410

QUOTING:    § 183.410 Ignition protection.

(a) Each electrical component must not ignite a propane gas and air mixture that is 4.25 to 5.25 percent propane gas by volume surrounding the electrical component when it is operated at each of its manufacturer rated voltages and current loadings

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

27 minutes ago, Raoul Ross said:

Do you think it needs an explosion-proof fan? Do present modeling-type paint booths have them?

It's one of those "why not?" kinda things.

Hydrocarbon vapors from lacquers and enamels can reach high enough concentrations to present a hazard under certain circumstances.

I've seen a fire in a full-scale paint booth caused by a sparking fan motor that had been incorrectly mounted in the exhaust air stream.

Fan motors in units like the Pace are mounted out of the exhaust air stream, but who knows about the cheapo Chinese units?

Are you likely to have a model-car paint booth fire? Nope. But why risk it?

An ignition-resistant inline 12V bilge fan is only $25-$45, and it's pretty cheap insurance against burning the house down.

EDIT: You're also likely to encounter warnings on a packaged booth, something like "Not intended for use with Hazardous Materials, Flammable or Explosive Paints or Materials."

Their lawyers aren't willing to chance it, so why should you?

EDIT 2:  Paint booth precautions are a lot like safe firearms handling procedures. Lotsa folks don't bother, thinking excessive safety awareness is stupid, but they're the ones more likely to have things go wrong, and then blame the weapon when they lose an eye, or a kid.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Ha, if mine started on fire I'd just push it out the window. I'm on the first floor so no chance of lighting-up someone's hair. 🤣

If I was to build one I'd look at a bathroom ceiling fan. Comes with a box and would be easily mounted to a thin plywood board, like 3/8" or so. I think the important part would be filtering, that's where I'd spend the money.

• Haha 1

Just now, Raoul Ross said:

Ha, if mine started on fire I'd just push it out the window. I'm on the first floor so no chance of lighting-up someone's hair. 🤣

If I was to build one I'd look at a bathroom ceiling fan. Comes with a box and would be easily mounted to a thin plywood board, like 3/8" or so. I think the important part would be filtering, that's where I'd spend the money.

All you're filtering with a model booth is outgoing air, taking the particulate paint out of the exhaust. A furnace filter is pretty much all that's required.

Incoming air isn't filtered. The bay where the model goes is wide open to the room, so you can get your paws and airbrush in.

Making sure YOU are clean and dust-free prior to painting, and that windows aren't open while there's a dust-storm blowing outside, that's pretty much it.

8 minutes ago, ksnow said:

Here is my low cost solution. 12 volt power supply and a 12 volt bilge fan. A furnace filter and some dryer ducting. Leftover paneling from a home improvement project. Works very well with spray paint.

Excellent.

I see you have the fan mounted close to the end of the duct, where it's much more effective pulling than it would be mounted close to the booth, where it would be pushing.

Well done.  :D

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Excellent.

I see you have the fan mounted close to the end of the duct, where it's much more effective pulling than it would be mounted close to the booth, where it would be pushing.

Well done.  :D

I read and rearead the paint booth sticky in this forum. If I am going to do it, I might as well do it right. 

And yes, fans are much better at pulling air than pushing air.

2 hours ago, Raoul Ross said:

I wouldn’t use a bathroom fan if the motor is in the airstream.

Edited by NOBLNG

Between the fan and the power supply, I've got $70 in my booth. I bought the supply through an LED light place, I wanted a 10 amp supply, cause the fan calls for a 10 amp fuse. Used an automotive fuse holder and a 12 volt switch for on and off. No messing around with 110 wiring.

It amazes me how so many people will work so hard to do it any way but the right way.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ksnow said:

Between the fan and the power supply, I've got $70 in my booth...It amazes me how so many people will work so hard to do it any way but the right way.

Your setup is the best homebuilt I've seen to date. Simple, obviously very effective and doing exactly what it needs to do, and cheap.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

On 8/23/2022 at 9:33 AM, 64SS350 said:

Thanks for starting this thread, I had decided to put a booth in for this winter. I have read the others and checked prices on premade units for a couple years. This sounds up my alley....DIY!

Same here! Bought a 4” bilge fan for $40 from Amazon, and plan on building mine in the winter also. After seeing the prices of some (safe) quality booths, I decided to build my own also.