Model Cars Magazine Forum

*Mint Turquoise with Red Interior '70 Judge*

I'm certain that many of me fellow plastic fanatics have seen this psychedelic Judge; but, for those of you who have not seen this far-out Poncho, here's an article with a compliment of images.

I'm giving serious consideration to painting my current (and ongoing) project 1970 Baldwin-Motion Chevelle Phase III in these colours (interior is already painted red - my original plan was for Tamiya's Mica Silver Metallic), though I'll likely reserve this option for another '70 Chevelle SS.

Without further ado: Color Combo on Psychedelic 1970 Pontiac GTO Judge Never Meant to Be (motortrend.com) 

1970-JUDGE-MINT-TURQUOISE.jpg.15495d2e4bd13191a4f4a62a818b9799.jpg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I like it.

I positively flipped when I first saw it in a c.2018 issue of Muscle Car Review. The red shade is just dark enough - but still bright - to work with and, IMO, compliment the subtle-yet-bright Mint Turquoise. The Judge's stripes help tie it together quite nicely.

Well then. I'm going to have to go back and look through all of my carshow photos over the past few years, because I'm sure I've seen that car. It's somewhat local to me. 

And I like the colour. 

I also like that back in the day, the manufacturers would "break the rules" every now and then. Even today, I don't understand why the manufacturers restrict colours or certain options. They're all on the same production line, so what's the problem? I would have ordered my F150 in Race Red, but you cannot get that colour with the hybrid engine. The EcoBoost or 5.0L? No problem. Weird.

• Like 1

I like it. Things were different back then. My dad was working at a Dodge dealer in the early to mid 70's and he told me that custom paint could be done as long as they could provide a paint code and the cost was something like an additional $50 to the cost of the vehicle. 

21 minutes ago, larman said:

I like it. Things were different back then. My dad was working at a Dodge dealer in the early to mid 70's and he told me that custom paint could be done as long as they could provide a paint code and the cost was something like an additional $50 to the cost of the vehicle. 

I once read a Mopar story where somebody ordered a red '70 Super Bee with a white C stripe and they got a white stripe on one side and a black stripe on the other because that's all they had left in the parts bins. When it came time to restore the car the owner thought about restoring it that way because that's how the factory did it.

28 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

I have like 2 old Muscle car magazines with that one in them. Hard to believe somebody actually ordered it that way back then. I heard many stories where the dealer would refuse to order some combos.

If you read the article, you’ll find that it was apparently an error.

The owner was pissed to say the least, and initially refused to take delivery of the car, but later decided to accept it.

Steve

On 8/23/2022 at 6:31 PM, larman said:

Porsche has been doing this for years. Send them a colour sample, and they'll paint your car in that colour. Or will do the interior leather in that colour.

Of course...it's not a $50 charge! Add a few more zeroes to the end of that number!

GM dealers would order inventory manually, handwritten forms were used into the '80's.  There was an area on the form for the body color, usually a two-letter code denoting the color desired and another two-letter code for the interior. Should someone not print these codes neatly and at the plant the person interring the code misread it or just make a mistake you could get some strange looking color combinations. Usually, if the order would get kicked back from the order bank as a noncompatible combination the dealer would either have to correct the color combination or initial a box on the order form authorizing the combination. I know of one such G10 Window Van that was kicked back to the dealer and the Fleet manager, for whatever reason just OK'd it or the Order Bank just went ahead and built it, just depends on who you were asking. We got a two-tone Blue highline G10 window van with two-tone green interior. Fortunately, we had an interior decorator customer that just fell in love with it, saving the Fleet Managers job as well.  In the mid to late '70's orders could get really interesting if you didn't pay attention to what you're doing. 

• Like 1

Special paint was a factory option on most domestics until the mid 1970's, when flexible "sight shields" became common to hide the gap between the body and the new 5mph bumpers.  Sight shields were painted outside the assembly plant, as they needed a special flexible formulation to the paint.  If you went ahead and ordered special paint anyway, the car was delivered with silver - or gray (molded in color, no paint) sight shields. U_G_L_Y.  Body color racing mirrors were also painted offsite, making this also problem for special paint cars.  As a result, this largely disappeared from the domestic car market at that time.   TB 

On 8/25/2022 at 6:03 PM, keyser said:

13.5-20k depending on car and color. Almost worth it to not have red/black/white/silver. 

My experience is that people appreciate the neutral Porsche colors over time.

After 15 years, I see my bluegrey and all Porsches as a bus (or plane) ticket. You pay and it delivers. Sometimes you see another one that has the same color, but rarely (at least in Sweden) does it have the same color and rims.

Few have succeeded well in choosing the color of the paint and interior themselves.

The GTO is nice but choosing the color yourself is a roll of the dice.

EA0CCE2D-FC04-4394-A765-A000305DDE13.jpeg

• Like 1