Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan 1962 Oldsmobile Super 88 --built from NOS kit.

rsmodels

Here's another one I used an NOS kit to build. I like Oldsmobiles and have quite a few. My first car in 1967 was a 63 Super 88 and my dad had a white 63 wagon. One of my 1:1 cars now is a 63 Dynamic 88.

I have one of my 59 kits painted and in progress so it will be coming at some point.

This one is box stock including the original tires. All the trim is Bare Metal Foil, the grille, interior, hubcaps, etc. are detailed. I also widened the track a bit.

I noticed in some of the photos that a couple of the tires are crooked.  They are not glued and must have shifted as I moved the car around. 

Thanks as always for taking the time to look. All comments are always appreciated.

I was set up to take photos of the 62 Imperial I finished today but decided to post this one first.  -Rich

DSC01730.JPG

DSC01731.JPG

DSC01674.JPG

DSC01677.JPG

DSC01681.JPG

DSC01671.JPG

DSC01703.JPG

DSC01704.JPG

DSC01706.JPG

DSC01707.JPG

DSC01711.JPG

DSC01713.JPG

DSC01719.JPG

DSC01720 (2).JPG

DSC01722 (2).JPG

DSC01723.JPG

DSC01722.JPG

DSC01724.JPG

DSC01727.JPG

DSC01729.JPG

DSC01732.JPG

DSC01733.JPG

DSC01675.JPG

DSC01679.JPG

• Like 5

That's a beauty, especially that blue interior! This one scores extra points with me for being an early 60s Olds 88. I recently picked up an actual 1961 88 4-door hardtop as a long term project; maybe this winter or next summer. No engine or tranny, so definitely going to be a resto-mod kind of project.

5 hours ago, cobraman said:

SWEET !!  

Thanks Ray

2 hours ago, oldscool said:

Beautiful! Very precise trim work.

Appreciate it Gerald.

1 hour ago, Kah puts said:

That's a pearl, the white looks right on and attention to detail is off the chart.

Glad you like it Glen

1 hour ago, happy grumpy said:

A really nice and impressive model. the trim is really clean and precise.  👍

Mario, thank you.

23 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

That's a beauty, especially that blue interior! This one scores extra points with me for being an early 60s Olds 88. I recently picked up an actual 1961 88 4-door hardtop as a long term project; maybe this winter or next summer. No engine or tranny, so definitely going to be a resto-mod kind of project.

Hi Rusty, I really like the 61-63 Oldsmobiles. Here's a photo of one of my built  61's before detailing the hubcaps. I posted a blue one a few months ago. And here's a shot of my unrestored (besides paint) 1:1 63 Dynamic 88  Holiday Hardtop. I'd love to see your 61.

DCFC0008.JPG

62 PLYMOUTH-63 OLDS-11-18-14 036.JPG

• Like 1

Wow, that '63 is one handsome ride. Now I have Olds envy! Mine has some typical lower body rust, but nothing catastrophic, worst is the left rear skeg, and that's an easy shape to deal with as far as making a patch panel. Interior, faded but complete and still sits well. LOVE those Olds dashes and steering wheels, and the over all design of the upholstery work. I will keep the interior close to these stock colors when I get around to it..

'61_88 (1).JPG

'61_88 (2).JPG

'61_88 (3).JPG

'61_88 (4).JPG

10 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Wow, that '63 is one handsome ride. Now I have Olds envy! Mine has some typical lower body rust, but nothing catastrophic, worst is the left rear skeg, and that's an easy shape to deal with as far as making a patch panel. Interior, faded but complete and still sits well. LOVE those Olds dashes and steering wheels, and the over all design of the upholstery work. I will keep the interior close to these stock colors when I get around to it..

'61_88 (1).JPG

'61_88 (2).JPG

'61_88 (3).JPG

'61_88 (4).JPG

Rusty, thanks for the photos. It really looks pretty complete (minus engine)  without too much rust.  It should be a good project. I've always wanted to a project like that but never had the space.

GM had some great dashes back in the day and you can't beat those Olds steering wheels! My favorite dashes are the 61 Pontiac and 63 Olds. The 63 Olds dash looks very similar in design to the rear bumper on the 60 Olds. With factory air (my first one had it) the left and right dash outlets even look like the backup lights on the 60.

Here's a couple more of my present 63 and one showing the interior of my blue 61 Olds. Johan did a pretty good job on it.  -Rich

62 PLYMOUTH-63 OLDS-11-18-14 025.JPG

OLDS DESOTO 11-15-2014 042.JPG

DCFC0021.JPG

2 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Yes, I've got to find one of those JoHans. Your '63 is just blowing me away; there's no viewing angle I don't like. That rear view has such wonderful lines. Those designers liked their job!

Rusty, there's a seller on Ebay who makes a copy of the Johan 61. It's a complete kit and he does great work but it's not cheap. Neiither are the   rebuilders that come up once in a while but there are deals if you keep watching.

I have a picture of the original owner standing by my 63 when it was pretty new. I  bought it-the car- from her daughter in law about 20 years ago. The owner had the bobble head dog in the rear window from the time it was new so I've kept it there in her memory. Normally I wouldn't   have stuff like that.  It came with the poverty hubcaps and I left them because my dad's 63 wagon had them and they bring back great memories. My 63 Super 88 had the  Starfire 394 4 barrel engine and the Starfire spinner hubcaps. I'll post my 63 Dynamic 88 wagon sometime (resin).  

My Dynamic 88 has the optional (at no extra cost) low compression 394 2 barrel.  The standard engine was the 394 high compression 2 barrel.  When I first  got it I kept being told it was the wrong color (it is not) so I did some research. I had never heard of it before but I'm glad it has it as it runs fine on regular gas. I'm guessing it's kind of rare because I've never seen another with that engine in it.  -Rich

Edited by rsmodels

The guy that owned my '61 had the 394 out for a rebuild, and the shop folded and his engine just came up missing somehow. All the accessories (breather, pulleys, etc) are still in the trunk. Don't think mine, if I had it, would have liked regular...

breather394.JPG

12 hours ago, bisc63 said:

The guy that owned my '61 had the 394 out for a rebuild, and the shop folded and his engine just came up missing somehow. All the accessories (breather, pulleys, etc) are still in the trunk. Don't think mine, if I had it, would have liked regular...

breather394.JPG

The missing 394 could be a blessing since it might direct you to a newer engine/trans and that way you will replace the horrific Slim-Jim Roto Hydramatic. 

This is a 61 Olds C/B ambulance I had MANY years ago.

61 olds back_seat.jpg

61 olds dash.jpg

61 olds front.jpg

61 olds rear.jpg

• Like 1

Clean build!

If the wheels aren't glued yet, I'd like to make a suggestion:

Here's my '62 built from a Promolite (Tom Coolidge) resin kit. In order to get rid of the typical JoHan too-narrow wheel track, I used brass tube for the axles (.047" I think) cut at lengths that brought the wheels and tires out - closer to the body. So that the wheels/tires/axles wouldn't flop back and forth on the narrow chassis, I made four spacers from Evergreen styrene tube that had an ID to allow them to slip over the brass tubes. Painted black, one spacer was slipped onto the tubes/axles before the wheels were attached. 

John

62Olds1.jpg

62Olds2.jpg

62Olds3.jpg

• Like 1