Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions on the 1967 AMT Shelby GT Mustang #834M/12

Hi,

I'm at a crucial build point with the subject model and am facing a couple of confusing points.

The chassis and interior is complete, and the body is ready for painting (as soon as we dry out a bit here).

-  My first question is, is the radiator assembly glued to the chassis or the body - obviously before they are mated?

-  Are the front and rear bumper assemblys attached before or after the mating of the chassis/body?

In reviewing some YouTube videos, and the instructions, I'm getting mixed signals.  

Thanks all for your input!

With these kits (67 SHelby and fastback) I have glued the front and rear sections together and paint the entire body as one piece.  It’s a little trickier getting the chassis in the body.  This way you can fill in the gaps where there are not supposed to be any.  I cannot remember about the radiator but it should be attached to the radiator support.  Ignore the red reflection on the chrome in the pictures.

C0C2F928-0555-4E3C-AE18-2040D4D38BB7.jpeg

F2FA90D4-5E57-416B-909E-90B68FE5117E.jpeg

9CB8A452-4905-4E24-A04F-94AE02933480.jpeg

Well, I'm thinking I agree with the instructions......the radiator is affixed to the body shell first.

I'd love to put the bumpers on first and "blend in" , but I'm concerned I'll have a serious hassle getting the body onto the chassis.  

I nice YouTube video shows one with the bumpers applied to the body first and then painted as a whole.  But did the modeler have a problem getting it on the chassis?  

I know its a different world out there (compared to my car model building of the 60s-70s), but I do miss the WRITTEN step by step instructions.  I think they are history, now that most (all???) kits are built elsewhere.  

3 hours ago, Bill Anderson said:

I know its a different world out there (compared to my car model building of the 60s-70s), but I do miss the WRITTEN step by step instructions.  I think they are history, now that most (all???) kits are built elsewhere.  

Me too. I guess you’re supposed assemble it in the order indicated by the black numbers.

This is an early photo of a '67 coupe conversion I did with the chassis under it. Same basic body as your GT-350. Just different fascia and tail panel. Installing those pieces first works much better when it comes time to paint. Trying to glue them on after paint is a recipe for disaster. Especially if they happen to not fit quite right.

20191122_141429-1-1.jpg.276b03f8fe1a5d2a9196c2fdd2e55449.jpg

20191122_142038-1.jpg.4b2e7704ba69fbd859f9aa6e19704e37.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, I've come to that conclusion...........  It's proven that the chassis Can be inserted into a bumpered body, and as you all indicated, painted with the bumper assemblies attached will make for a much nicer end result.  

I'm thinking I can get the bumpers attached and smoothed out today, and I already have the spoiler piece in place.  So it should be ready to paint tomorrow or Monday.

Thanks all once again.  

Kind of funny...  I'm an old hat on the Kalmbach model train forum (since 2004) but still a newbie here.  Ha, it's given me a charge to be more patient with the train newbies.....

I built this kit a few weeks ago. I glued the radiator to the frame, not the body. In the instruction diagram it shows it being mounted to the body, but just below that it is already attached to the frame. I also glued the front and rear body clips or bumpers to the body and painted all as one piece.