Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sebring 12 Hours 1964 Proposed group build thread

William (Bill?) You call it madness I call it beauty. I am always at awe when I see someone working on one of these MFH kits. Someday I'll need to try one (don't know if they're avail in Canada)

Look forward looking at your #12 entry. My #1 Cobra entry will be a more basic styrene putty mashup!

48 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

William (Bill?) You call it madness I call it beauty. I am always at awe when I see someone working on one of these MFH kits. Someday I'll need to try one (don't know if they're avail in Canada)

Look forward looking at your #12 entry. My #1 Cobra entry will be a more basic styrene putty mashup!

my first try at  a MFH  kit.   Hope i don't  screw it  up!   the kit is mostly metal  and  makes assembly a little harder.  i would prefer  plastic.   Pierre , look  forward  to seeing your  #1  Cobra build.

Bill

7 hours ago, Randy D said:

The Cobra is looking wonderful my friend!!!

Randy

thanks  Randy,   i  have little  experience  with  all these  metal  parts and  maybe i should learn to solder like you do.   But i have been  really  impressed  with how well  JB Weld  super  weld glue   works  for glueing  metal parts together . this stuff is  super strong !

• 2 weeks later...

Work has started (slowly) on entry #1, CSX 2196 cooked up by Ken Miles. Series 1 leaf spring chassis stuffed with a big block 427. 

First step, I wanted to lower the ride height on the chassis by 2 mm, making sure to do it with suspension tweaks, not chassis to body relations knowing engine to hood clearance will be a challenge with 427. I like the way she sits now and will work out the fender openings & flares accordingly.

Speaking of the 427, that's a big boy! So far I gave kept the kit's trans and the engine comes from a Polar Lights Torino kit. To make room the passenger tub footwells need to be narrowed and I still need to find a carb and filter combo that will clear the hood.

Cobra Sebring wip1.jpg

Cobra Sebring wip2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update on entry #1 Cobra csx 2196. Now that I have the engine & chassis integration issues relatively under control I have proceeded with the basic body modifications. The car was pretty rough going into the race after rush overnight repairs following an encounter with a tree during practice.... what... there's a tree at Sebring? Anyhow, I chose to model the body without the rushed repairs... or how it would likely be at the start of practice.

In summary, adding wheel opening flares, hood scoop, enlarging the nose air intake a bit, adding the 3 extra nose vents and 2 on the hood, adding side vents, relocating the fuel filler opening and adding the "suitcase dings" to the deck lid.

Pic of the car in the race and my body. I'll prime it and see if more work is needed.

Cobra Sebring wip3.jpeg

Cobra Sebring wip4.jpg

Cobra Sebring wip5.jpg