Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sebring 12 Hours 1964 Proposed group build thread

Thank you guys. I did a bit of reshaping of the front wheel opening flanges (too flat at the top) and brushed on the primer. Not bad. Some work needed to smooth out the back end and I will need to find a way to hide the body thickness around the nose GTO style cooling holes.

Cobra Sebring wip6.jpg

Cobra Sebring wip7.jpg

Edited by Pierre Rivard
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Thank you guys. I did a bit of reshaping of the front wheel opening flanges (too flat at the top) and brushed on the primer. Not bad. Some work needed to smooth out the back end and I will need to find a way to hide the body thickness around the nose GTO style cooling holes.

Cobra Sebring wip6.jpg

Cobra Sebring wip7.jpg

The "turd" did not have the FIA trunk dimples, it was as standard.

I said I would put a driver figurine in entry #1. Easier said than done. I had a figurine of unknown origin in my spares but it was far from an easy fit in the small Cobra cockpit. After a lot of cutting and reshaping of limbs here it is. Took 2 days but here it is. I think if I pull it off at the painting stage it will add to the build. Something I really want to repeat on future builds If I can find a source for more figurines.

Anybody know the color go the great Ken Miles' racing suit at Sebring in 64? Thinking off-white or powder blue....not sure.

Cobra Sebring wip8.jpg

Cobra Sebring wip9.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 10:46 AM, Pierre Rivard said:

Work has started (slowly) on entry #1, CSX 2196 cooked up by Ken Miles. Series 1 leaf spring chassis stuffed with a big block 427. 

First step, I wanted to lower the ride height on the chassis by 2 mm, making sure to do it with suspension tweaks, not chassis to body relations knowing engine to hood clearance will be a challenge with 427. I like the way she sits now and will work out the fender openings & flares accordingly.

Speaking of the 427, that's a big boy! So far I gave kept the kit's trans and the engine comes from a Polar Lights Torino kit. To make room the passenger tub footwells need to be narrowed and I still need to find a carb and filter combo that will clear the hood.

Cobra Sebring wip1.jpg

Cobra Sebring wip2.jpg

Wow, Pierre, this is going to be another great build. Looking forward to more updates.

On 11/21/2022 at 5:10 PM, Pierre Rivard said:

I said I would put a driver figurine in entry #1. Easier said than done. I had a figurine of unknown origin in my spares but it was far from an easy fit in the small Cobra cockpit. After a lot of cutting and reshaping of limbs here it is. Took 2 days but here it is. I think if I pull it off at the painting stage it will add to the build. Something I really want to repeat on future builds If I can find a source for more figurines.

Anybody know the color go the great Ken Miles' racing suit at Sebring in 64? Thinking off-white or powder blue....not sure.

Cobra Sebring wip8.jpg

Cobra Sebring wip9.jpg

Very cool. A driver. Where did you get that guy?

37 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Like I said, "I dunno"

If I did, I'd get more because I really like the idea of a driver, especially for an open cockpit car.

They had 1/24 scale drivers in the old nascar kits from the early 2000's, I think, but they looked like Mannequins from a department store. And they look way too big if you try to use them in a 1/25 scale car. I tried toc cut one down and use it for a 63 Chevy I built, but he still looked way too big. 

#10 goes back to surgery …

for this procedure I’m using one of those neato razor saws that you can get on the UMM site - this new blade has teeth that curl around from length to width - its good for scribing a cut with tape as the guide … and in the last photo i’m about to cuT off my left thumb - that’s ok - we all came w two - right ??

0D8D24F8-9872-41C6-8105-E4D9AE238C5A.jpeg

27C46902-6794-4963-B157-0F6668146EFF.jpeg

A5E2052B-B5EF-4452-BD9E-3942620F9995.jpeg

5F25748B-AEA2-43B2-872A-55A3D7A8E0AB.jpeg

You’ll recall that the bonnett on the Bradford Daytona Coupe kit was missing about 3 to 4 inches of length ….  So once the bonnett was sawed apart i glued a peice of Renshape that is .140 thick on to the bonnett to produce the missing 3 / 4 inches … remshape

bonds well w CA glue …

0FC39962-C12F-4356-B45D-95FD548432EB.jpeg

54816FB5-550E-406F-A82D-F9613D72B7D8.jpeg

E778F898-3BD8-4C7C-B4C2-618EC9C9D9B3.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Gramps

pierre - gonna use the same peice of Renshape to lengthen the frame - and then Ive got re-site engine mounts … the Perma-grit bit is random toothed and is great for shaping the Renshape - also used a sanding drum and some sanding sticks …

2D89B929-F283-4F01-805E-A7233E0EC144.jpeg

8739448A-AE85-471F-BCA6-5B869D74ECAF.jpeg

13C44F4B-DE5A-49D1-B5B3-89E4CAD37B87.jpeg

Andy, you make the hard stuff look easy. Well done.

Allow me to insert an update on entry #1. The build is moving well and fast (for me)

Engine and chassis are all done. For the engine I grafted the Cobra kit's trans to a Polar Lights 427 and built up missing elements from spares (overflow tank, fuel pump and added a variety of aftermarket parts. Oil filter, breathers, carb and air filter from Protech, Connkur distributor, Parts by Parks accessory drive and VGC resin headers modified to a vertical outlet.

Chassis is pretty OOB with exception of mods to fit the bigger engine, scratch building shock absorbers and substituting kit wheels & tires with HRM components. I scratch built exhaust pipes with 3.2 mm Evergreen rod and tube material.

Cobra Sebring wip10.jpg

Cobra Sebring wip11.jpg

Cobra Sebring wip12.jpg

Cobra Sebring wip13.jpg

• Like 2

Update “allowed” indeed encouraged - really looking good - 

replica Daytona Coupes are actually not that rare - but they are mostly “old cars” now - you are more likely to see one sitting forlornly in the back of a mechanics workshop than at a car show - the one sitting in a corner of my mechanic’s garage - its been there for months - has what appears to be an accurate body shell - the dimension in the photo shows me that the drawings Im working fr are accurate - the length of the shell past the wheel well is just short of 24 inches - which is what I am doing in scale with the added strip of Renshape …

79F7A620-25A4-4492-9C8A-647B2A1FF656.jpeg

The bonnett is glued back together using plastic guides and CA glue - lots of sanding now - using mostly diamond coated bits and random standing sticks - also modifying the bonnett opening designed to extract the radiator air - the first one or two Daytona Coupes had a central brace and a taper in the trailing edge - the design was simplified as “production” began …

D676D005-F62B-40F7-9762-321C1385C3D1.jpeg

827B350A-CE4B-4060-90F0-09F141DA0CEB.jpeg

D79ED4FD-E360-4D33-AC46-FE65AD312851.jpeg

375278F7-BE2B-4F29-96DB-8FFBE3052F65.jpeg