Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sebring 12 Hours 1964 Proposed group build thread

Wow, Pierre. That chassis and engine look awesome. I wonder why they used such a small air cleaner. Makes the 427 look that much bigger. You can see why the brakes had a hard time wowing down these babies. I still have this car on my bucket list to pair with the Penske Grand Sport I made a while back. Way in the future though.

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

Wow, Pierre. That chassis and engine look awesome. I wonder why they used such a small air cleaner. Makes the 427 look that much bigger. You can see why the brakes had a hard time wowing down these babies. I still have this car on my bucket list to pair with the Penske Grand Sport I made a while back. Way in the future though.

Thanks Mark. I started with a standard sized air filter but could not quite clear the hood despite my best efforts to get the engine low in chassis. The 9 in. filter benefits the hood opening I carved for the hood scoop. I'm doing csx2196 Sebring spec (The Turd) which was a leaf spring car with a H&M 427 thrown in and pretty rough fender flares to widen the track. The one you want to do is the heavily re-engineered csx 2196 in Nassau specs with the clamshell front and rear bodywork (Flip Flop). BIG challenge, perfect for you!

9 hours ago, absmiami said:

The new bonnett dimensions match the measurement that i took from the worn out rep daytona coupe bonnett shell … 23 ish  inches to not quite 1 scale inch …

Andrew - I was surprised to find out you had to lengthen the bonnet on the Harold Bradford Daytona. Back on page 9 you say that the wheelbase was correct so unless I am missing something, does that mean you now have to shorten the body?

2 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Thanks Mark. I started with a standard sized air filter but could not quite clear the hood despite my best efforts to get the engine low in chassis. The 9 in. filter benefits the hood opening I carved for the hood scoop. I'm doing csx2196 Sebring spec (The Turd) which was a leaf spring car with a H&M 427 thrown in and pretty rough fender flares to widen the track. The one you want to do is the heavily re-engineered csx 2196 in Nassau specs with the clamshell front and rear bodywork (Flip Flop). BIG challenge, perfect for you!

Now I don't even know if I want to attempt it. Sounds way above my pay grade.

On 9/6/2022 at 3:10 PM, absmiami said:

Mel Kiper’s best remaining:

#4  Grand Sport / Penske
#14 Shelby Cobra / Hill 
#20 Lola Mk6 /Augie Pabst
#22 Ferrari 275P race winner  -  note  -  this selection will require a build w engine detail  [sorry]
#59 Ford Lotus Cortina / Clark 

If these cars are still available, I would like to join in with the Lotus Cortina being my first choice and the Grand Sport my second.

Phil !!

andrew Mcd wants to build the Clark Lotus Cortina #59  -  but but but - im planning to do one of the prototype GT40s - they were entered but never came - they weren’t ready -

SO - consider building the Lotus Cortina entered (but no-showed) - for Mike Spence - .   and and and -  you can also post and start the Penske #4 GS - and its yours - Ill double check but pretty sure # 4 is still available - and like all of Penske’s cars - it was really well finished and presented …

1 hour ago, absmiami said:

Phil !!

andrew Mcd wants to build the Clark Lotus Cortina #59  -  but but but - im planning to do one of the prototype GT40s - they were entered but never came - they weren’t ready -

SO - consider building the Lotus Cortina entered (but no-showed) - for Mike Spence - .   and and and -  you can also post and start the Penske #4 GS - and its yours - Ill double check but pretty sure # 4 is still available - and like all of Penske’s cars - it was really well finished and presented …

OK - if the #4 Grand Sport is still available, I will build it.

I am still curious about your Cobra Daytona build -Do you have to lengthen the wheelbase or shorten the body because of you increasing the length of the bonnet?

Against the shop lamp light you can see how thin the casting is - so i want to use only a minimum amount of putty - the scientific “finger”’test tells me that there is more to  be done - but I’ll probably throw some primer on this just to see how close i am …

54725320-C751-4ED8-9D3A-D3BAC4EFD327.jpeg

A59B4166-1A25-4C06-8ACC-DBD0A3809218.jpeg

68C601E3-3E3A-448C-989A-03BCF41D2C2D.jpeg