Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sebring 12 Hours 1964 Proposed group build thread

13 hours ago, MarkJ said:

I can already tell it's going to be a winner, Pierre. That metallic blue looks awesome already and not the hint of a brush stroke.

Thanks Mark. First time using Silver instead of Metal Medium as a metalizer element and I initially struggled a bit but made it work with more thinning.

...  because my shot of the engine bay of 2287  -  taken when I got lucky at the Simeone - years ago - shows that the added space between the engine and the bulkhead is close to spec and now there is room for all of those fiddly details behind the engine ...

013.jpg

9 minutes ago, absmiami said:

...  because my shot of the engine bay of 2287  -  taken when I got lucky at the Simeone - years ago - shows that the added space between the engine and the bulkhead is close to spec and now there is room for all of those fiddly details behind the engine ...

013.jpg

Steering arm running in between exhaust header pipes... now that's packaging creativity and will be fun to model in 1/24 scale!

Shall we call that packaging creativity or gross design negligence ??

The late Venom was actually able to build this kit with the steering arm wiggling thru the pipes -  the added engine bay space will make this a little easier for me …

but i can’t believe that Shelby signed off  on this …

The fix required razor sawing a slot along the door line to “loosen” the panel - just short of removing it - then I glued the inner door panel and a sill that i made from L shaped Evergreen - this was wedged in under the door panel and forced the rocker to “uncurl” … by doing this i recaptured over two scale inches of body height - this was critical - because of the way in which the body attaches to the interior …

C03EFB2E-0F89-4086-8E7F-1857853FA832.jpeg

0D462224-A085-4CEA-B70B-BB18DCD3E4D9.jpeg

EBC809CC-B945-49EB-AED7-6330F0926975.jpeg

That Cobra replica sitting forlornly in my mechanics shop posed for a shot of its beak….  That subtle curve visible looking down is correct - there is a great shot of 2287’s nose in 1964 in the Doug Morton Collection site ….  The kit nose lacks this curve - gotta fix that …

7657DC21-E83A-4D63-966A-498737024BFD.jpeg

87E22EA0-2239-44AF-A9CD-EA39510CC648.jpeg

Great save, Pierre 

Great!  save …

this picture was, i think, snapped by Dave Friedman, who was tabbed by Shelby to document the Daytona Coupe’s development and team racing in ‘64 And ‘65 … and as you can see - the frame rails are as straight as arrows… 

048EF9B5-5AF2-4332-B28B-FB26525FBE1B.jpeg