Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sebring 12 Hours 1964 Proposed group build thread

23 hours ago, absmiami said:

Too bad that Musk no longer seems to be interested in automotive design …. Do you think that - say - ten years ago - he had Pete Brock on speed dial ??

E44B5B17-B729-4835-9F35-A1C3638422D9.jpeg

Why can't they design a conventional looking grill, even though it's not needed for air intake?

Pierre !   In america, when you invoice AFTER you’ve performed your work, its called a greeting card …. 
In ‘64 - 2287 had blisters riveted to the bottom of the rear fenders - to draw air into the back of the car - other sports cars had this feature - but i think that the Daytona Coupe was the first to sport these - interesting and cool looking - but not carried forward to the other Daytona Coupes …. 

A8777948-0211-43C2-99A0-0DA345E1EEB8.jpeg

F10B1BFE-638F-453B-9F74-B40ED44F97F5.jpeg

5E3139A2-24FF-4C57-9C2C-6CAE843EE1DE.jpeg

B0209CBE-967E-4C48-A4B4-42149F8702A9.jpeg

• Haha 1

Last W.I.P. for entry #1. Paint and decals are done. While the seal coat cures fully I will finish the last bits of exterior trim parts and that's it.

Andy, when I'm done I assume you will want  one pic of the  completed build posted here?

Cobra Sebring wip17.jpg

Edited by Pierre Rivard

lets herd some cats:

there were 10  -  count em  -  10  Cobras entered in the '64 race

Pierre has posted his build/start of the #1  Shelby team entry for Miles and Morton

Vamach has begun the #12  Bondurant car

Smilesperhr  wants to build one of the Cobras:  Smiles - which one ?   

you can refer to the site w all of the entries at the top of the thread ... 

MarkJ  wanted to do #1  -  can I convince you to choose one of the others ??  

the  #11 Cobra  entered for Gurney and Johnson ??  or #14 ??

And we've also got commitments to build - or starts - on:

2 GTOs    Randy D and Ace

- the #37 Porsche 904  -  Gramps

the #48 MGB  -  Misha

the #23 Ferr 275P  -  I think - Ace ?

Lotus Elite   -  RC

Lotus Cortina  -  AndrewMcD

I'm doing the #10  Daytona Coupe

Pierre has already finished the #3 Grand Sport

reminder - you can build more than one entry  -  lots of good ones left ...

is someone building one of the Alpines ?  think so  -  I lost track ...

Dave B expressed interest in the Bizzarrini  - but then came to his senses

lots of entries left ...

am I missing anyone?

over a year left to complete ...

Who else is in ?

Pierre !!  more than one !

and I forgot to tell you ...

since you finished #1 so quickly - you'll have to choose/build another entry ...   

which one ?? 

and you get a "rules bend"  -  you can choose a second Cobra entry if you want ...

we are still a little light on Ferrari entries ...

6 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

JC's CSX2260 looks awesome. Obviously it has received numerous upgrades + special fabrication to enhance the Sunny/Minicraf kit it appears to be based on. Superb!

I'm doing the same thing with a build of CSX2259, which was the first of five FIA cars. That car ran at Daytona in '64 with Dan Gurney and Bob Johnson driving. The two drivers were paired up with the same car at Sebring in 1964. Bob Johnson crashed CSX2259 in the pits at Sebring when he hit an Alfa Romeo TZ that was running without lights. 

JC  -thanks for posting the link - very helpful

I've placed an order for Zero Paints Viking Blue

have you seen their "Viking Blue"  ??

I'll post a sample before I use it

should be good for the Daytona  Coupe #10

it won't match what's on the Simeone car - 

but the Simeone car's finish is old and faded - 

and I'm certain it was re-sprayed at least once back in the day

so I'll have to use some imagination ...

22 hours ago, absmiami said:

Yup - post the kit w box open - glue 2 parts together - or paint a part - and the Penske GS is yours … do you live w/in day trip dx of the Simeone Collection??  - there is a GS engine on display …

Phildaupho has opened the box and glued together the engine block so has claimed the Corvette Penske Grandsport as his to build.

I bought the kit as soon as it was released and soon after acquired the Model Car Garage detail set which then came with a resin transmission with linkage. It also came with a resin differential oil cooler but the car ran with two at Sebring so I am going to have to come up with another. I may have to rob an already built model !! I also have the HRM Nassau Hood and the A-frame kit. I have always liked building white cars as I have had very good success using Tamiya Pure White directly from the spray can.

I am looking forward to eventually posing the Grandsport with my two other Chaparral cars - a 2D and a 70 1/2 Trans-Am Camaro.

IMG-0196.jpg

IMG-0195.jpg

Edited by Phildaupho
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 5:29 PM, absmiami said:

Pierre !!  more than one !

and I forgot to tell you ...

since you finished #1 so quickly - you'll have to choose/build another entry ...   

which one ?? 

and you get a "rules bend"  -  you can choose a second Cobra entry if you want ...

we are still a little light on Ferrari entries ...

I'm not saying no...but definitely not another Cobra

I'd love to do one of the 275P/330P Ferraris but I don't have a kit and Ebay is not my thing. I'll keep my eyes peeled if I see something pop up at Model Roundup or some other vendor.

Would also consider some of the British cars like the Austin Healy of MGB...if a good kit appears...

First things first, Cobra entry #1 is 99.9% done, pics later today!

12 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Phildaupho has opened the box and glued together the engine block so has claimed the Corvette Penske Grandsport as his to build.

I bought the kit as soon as it was released and soon after acquired the Model Car Garage detail set which then came with a resin transmission with linkage. It also came with a resin differential oil cooler but the car ran with two at Sebring so I am going to have to come up with another. I may have to rob an already built model !! I also have the HRM Nassau Hood and the A-frame kit. I have always liked building white cars as I have had very good success using Tamiya Pure White directly from the spray can.

I am looking forward to eventually posing the Grandsport with my two other Chaparral cars - a 2D and a 70 1/2 Trans-Am Camaro.

IMG-0196.jpg

IMG-0195.jpg

Phil, I will be looking at this one with great interest. It's a great kit but it has it's challenges. You won't need the Nassau hood because Penske used it at...Nassau. For Sebring it was the louvers i.e. the kit hood.

GS Penske Sebring.jpg