Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1949 Mercury Custom Coupe

THarrison351

Revell '49 Mercury Custom Coupe. Painted Testors Extreme Lacquer Purple-Licious. The interior is flat white and Testors gloss grape. My son gave me this many years ago to build soon after it's release in 2007. I'm not much on building the Kustoms and was never sure or inspired how to complete it. Now that I'm building again, I had an idea and followed through. Glad it's finished. Not a difficult model. Looks good on the shelf. The kit comes with three grills. Stock, eleven '53 Desoto "teeth", and complete '54 Pontiac center bar and parking lights. Typical customs used the Pontiac center and '54 Chevy parking lights. That's what the built cover art used. Something was lost there. Other body options are a smooth hood or louvered as I used and stock fender skirts or the custom ones. There's two taillight sets, tunneled with pointy tips or '49-'50 Lincoln tri-bar. Both are kind of weak and a disappointment. I replaced my pointy lenses with longer ones from an AMT '64 Marauder that I had in the parts box. It can be built with stock bumpers or the ribbed ones I used. It also comes with a set of dummy spotlights that I'm not a fan of. It comes with several decal options. The decals as old as they were still did well and responded to solvent. I Almost forgot. There's another set of wheels and tires. Chrome reverse "steelies" and black wall tires in a lower profile with disc brakes all around. The biggest issues I had were the chrome was weak and the interior could have had better detail. Well, maybe not. It's hard to see through the tiny windows of the chopped top. Speaking of which. It's not quite proportioned right in my eyes. Someone commented the "b" pillar is too tall. Anyways, here it is in it's imperfect glory.

2v2azAZ9NxAVNRq.jpg

2v2azAZuWxAVNRq.jpg

2v2azAZJGxAVNRq.jpg

2v2azAZEnxAVNRq.jpg

2v2azAZaFxAVNRq.jpg

2v2azAZZyxAVNRq.jpg

2v2azAZQ5xAVNRq.jpg

2v2azAZcqxAVNRq.jpg

The color really pops in the light

2v2azAZvyxAVNRq.jpg

2v2azAZKrxAVNRq.jpg

Until I started this build, I hadn't realized how many Mercury Eight models I owned. Of course these are diecast, but anyways.

• Like 6

• 3 months later...