Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvinos Petty ‘71 Roadrunner

Matt T.

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

It occurs to me the box art says "1971 Chrysler Plymouth"...I wonder if that's a typo, or a licensing issue with the whole "Roadrunner" name. This kit wouldn't need the cartoon logos that seem to always be the sticking point...

Petty's car was (is) a Satellite. No concerns about licencing the road runner [sic] name.

3 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

..it still makes "1971 Chrysler Plymouth" a weird descriptive of the contents.

The only time I remember hearing the phrase "Chrysler-Plymouth" was in Commercials back in the day. Never hear it otherwise.

I too, was both puzzled and taken aback by the box art call out.

53 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

The only time I remember hearing the phrase "Chrysler-Plymouth" was in Commercials back in the day. Never hear it otherwise.

I too, was both puzzled and taken aback by the box art call out.

In olden days, the dealerships were branded Chrysler-Plymouth, IIRC.

14 minutes ago, keyser said:

I’m sure a Stellantis attorney had input. Current live brand present with dead brand. 
How it goes. 
At least it’s not a Stellantis-Plymouth. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Reminds me of how a 1/64th diecast Hudson Hornet was named as a 'Chrysler Hudson' on the packaging maybe 20 years ago... Racing Champions Mint brand IIRC... licensing, I guess... 

At one time, there were Chrysler-Plymouth , Imperial (standalone), and Valiant (1960-1962, sold through their own dealerships. No Plymouth nameplates to be found).

By c.1970, there were Chrysler-Plymouth-Imperial , and sometimes Valiant (artifact of the 1963 model year).

In the U.S. at least, Dodge was its own entity. Canada had Dodge-Fargo, IIRC.

4 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

And in recent years they have consolidated..the dealer in Phoenix I bought my current Jeep at is a Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram franchise, while my local one here in Cleveland bills itself as Chrysler Ram Jeep Dodge store.  

Here in my neck of the woods many one brand dealers are bought by big auto stores which sell many different brands. the typical town dealership and many brands have gone the way of the Dodo, the love of the automobile has faded too, I think Rob, guys of our generation are one of the last who appreciate this once great invention.

Going back to the '70's when I was a service and parts district manager for Chrysler Corp, my rural districts had Chrysler-Plymouth dealers. Dodge-Dodge Truck dealers and Chrysler=Plymouth -Dodge Truck dealers.  But sprinkled in there for interest were Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge-Dodge Truck full line dealers.  Then there were the hold overs who originally signed up decades earlier who were Plymouth only, Chrysler only, Dodge car only, and Dodge Truck Once upon a time, Chrysler-Imperial were their own franchises until Imperial was added as a line under the Chrysler brand.Chrysler also had the DeSoto brand franchise which went away in 1961 that was usually combined with Plymouth, or Chrysler-Imperial, or Dodge Truck.  Pretty confusing by today's standards, but then again I had dealers who were very small and only sold 20-30 new vehicles a year, but twice as many used vehicles.  Their low overhead, combined with profitable service and parts operations, made them feasible until the late '70's.  Once upon a time, a dealer would sign up as a franchisee for life, and some of them hung in there right up until they left this earth, or just decided to close up on their own. These small, family owned, operations were the best ones that I called on.

A.J.

• Thanks 1