Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch Built 1962 Henschel HS 22 HBM Concrete Mixer with Separate Engine

Hi,

originally Henschel was one of the oldest and largest German locomotive manufacturers.

Due to the economic crisis after the end of WW1 the demand for locomotives dropped to zero, so Henschel had to look for further business activities.

As a result Henschel started producing trucks in 1925 - late by comparison, but very soon Henschel trucks gained a very high reputation.

During WW2 Henschel became one of the leading German arms factories. F. e. Henschel designed and solely manufactured both Tiger tanks I and II and a rather effective video guided RC smart bomb; a few advanced jet plane prototypes did not go into production before the end of the war.

Thus a permanent target for allied bombing all Henschel factories were completely destroyed. Nevertheless Henschel managed to resume the production of heavy-duty trucks in 1949.

While gradually other German truck manufacturers dropped behind in terms of quality Henschel matched up to Mercedes. Finally, however, Henschel was too small to survive as a truck manufacturer. A merger with Hanomag in 1969 did not help, Mercedes bought Hanomag-Henschel and soon after the name Henschel disappeared from the truck market.

One of the most successful Henschel truck series were lightweight short hood 6x4 and 6x6 trucks, particularly adapted e. g. for dumpers and concrete mixers. This series made Henschel dominate the German market for concrete mixer trucks. The final concrete mixer chassis of this series was the 1962 HS 22 HBM.

Most German mixer chassis were equipped with Stetter mixers.

Driving a mixer drum requires appr. 60 HP, so if truck engines, as mostly in those days, had not enough power separate engines for the mixer were necessary.

My scratch build replicates such a combination as shown f. e. on this historic picture:

HS22StetterII-vi.jpg

As with my other scratch built trucks already shown here my sacrifice of time was appr. 1000 hours.

Sadly most chassis details are no longer visible after the final assembly.

Fahrgestell1250-vi.jpg

Henschel001250-vi.jpg
Henschel002250-vi.jpg
Henschel003250-vi.jpg
Henschel004250-vi.jpg
Henschel005250-vi.jpg
Henschel006250-vi.jpg
Henschel007250-vi.jpg
Henschel008250-vi.jpg
Henschel009250-vi.jpg
Henschel010250-vi.jpg
Henschel011250-vi.jpg
Henschel012250-vi.jpg

Edited by Plastheniker
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies!

Since response for my scratch builds declined here steeply during the past years I will consequently confine myself to the German Modell-Laster-Forum and the British 1:24th Scale Model Truck Forum - a good occasion to recommend these outstanding forums once again.

Nevertheless I would show any further AITM cabs still here, and anyhow I will continue to post in the car section occasionally.

smileyswinkende020-vi.gif

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Plastheniker said:

...Since response for my scratch builds declined here steeply during the past years I will consequently confine myself to the German Modell-Laster-Forum and the British 1:24th Scale Model Truck Forum - a good occasion to recommend these outstanding forums once again.

I will certainly miss seeing your always-inspirational world-class work here, and will most definitely look for you on those other forums.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy