Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Plymouth GTX

mrmike

A new project started out of a need to add another coat of paint to my 1997 Dodge Caravan.  I envisioned the '69 GTX painted with the same color of MCW Seafoam Turquoise Metallic with the Performance Hood Package.  The engine will be the standard 440 CID engine with 6 Pack carburation.  If that doesn't fit under the hood, I will use the stock 4-bbl. carb.  The transmission is the Mopar A-833 4-speed transmission.  I started by trimming all of the little bits and pieces of flash and realized that I would have to assemble the firewall, side panels and core support if I am to wash the body and chassis before adding primer and paint.  The wheels are Cragar SS mags, my favorite!

More GTX to come...

69GTX01.JPG

69GTX02.JPG

69GTX03.JPG

Edited by mrmike
  • Like 1

Thanks Curtis!  I needed to mix more paint for a second coat of paint on my '97 Dodge Caravan and I have been imagining this color on the GTX, which would look sharp, especially with the Performance Hood Treatment and gloss black rocker panels.

Last night, before turning for the night, I added some strip styrene and glue to the score line under the '69 GTX hood.  I wanted to fill the score line and to strengthen the hood since I have been "tweaking" it to fit level on the body without moving.  You can barely see the scoreline from the topside of the hood.

More GTX to come...

69GTX04.JPG

69GTX05.JPG

69GTX06.JPG

• Like 3

Even though it is on the underside of the hood, it is there and it stands out like a sore thumb.  I had to do something about it and this seemed like a good way to take care of it.  It is not perfect, but I did try to do something about it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mrmike said:

I figured the best way was to fill the voids with plastic and glue and sand it a little bit.

+1 on the super glue and baking soda to fill the lines. Using plastic and solvent type glue can cause the line to reappear because of the solvent softening the thin plastic, letting them "ghost" in as the solvent eventually completely dries out. I'd use a gel super glue, sprinkle full of baking soda, and have a good small file ready to rough down the filled area. Important to level the soda/glue filler as soon as possible, because it will become so hard that it's difficult to file or sand without removing too much surrounding plastic. You'll be filing down in about a minute or less.

• Like 3

Spent a little time on the GTX this afternoon.  I assembled the engine and lettered the tires.  The engine had no valley pan of cover and the intake manifold just sat on top of a wide open area.  I made a cover from a piece styrene and glued it in.

More GTX to come...

69GTX07.JPG

69GTX08.JPG

69GTX09.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Carl!  I think I got lost as I was going to use a six pack intake and carbs on this.  I realized this when I had found a 4-bbl air cleaner with a 440 CID decal already attached.  I think the 6-barrel carbs require the Coyote Air Intake hood, but I'm not sure.  More research is required... 

Edited by mrmike

Tonight I painted the engine, the distributor and cap and I made an ignition coil, painted it and wired it and the 6-barrel carburation.  Now, you are asking why did I paint the 4-barrel and the 6-barrel intakes?  I haven't decided which one I will use yet.  Why they don't add ignition coils to these kits is beyond me.

More Plymouth to come...

69GTX13.JPG

69GTX14.JPG

69GTX15.JPG

• Like 2

I started detailing the engine.  I added my plug wires, fan belt with power steering pump and alternator and the fan.  I had to make an ignition coil from a piece of round styrene stock and added a wire to it.  The tires proved to be problematic, so I replaced them with a set from Revell and I will add some white letters to the tires.

More GTX to come...

69GTX16.JPG

69GTX17.JPG

69GTX18.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, deuces wild said:

It's already got mag wheels so why not paint the engine orange?????.....🙂

Just because it has mag wheels on it doesn't mean to paint the engine a different color.  Street Hemi Orange is the standard color of a high performance 440 CID engine.

• Like 2

The 440 CID engine is complete and ready to be installed in the chassis.  I added the air cleaner and decal and then I installed a STP Racing decal on the oil filter.  The alternator has some clear red paint on the fins to represent the wire turnings on the armature.  The wheels and tires have been further detailed and I still need to find tire decals in my stash that I know I have.

More GTX to come...

69GTX19.JPG

69GTX20.JPG

69GTX21.JPG

• Like 3