Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Chevy Corvette Gasser

Art Laski

Recommended Posts

This build wasn’t in my queue, but the San Diego Model Car Club and the Las Vegas model car club were doing a joint build off, with each club judging the others entries. It was originally supposed to be a tri-five subject, but they opened it up to any 55-57 Chevy, including trucks and Corvettes, so I thought I would jump in. Unfortunately, I missed that deadline by a mile! And the next one, and the next one! The build is now finished, but I am going to post up a WIP anyway, which won’t take too long because there was a lot of work done towards the end that didn’t get photo documented, but it should be enough to see what went into it.


I happened to have this 57 Corvette Gasser kit in my stash, and I thought this would be a great opportunity to showcase all of the Pro Tech, Detail Master, and Model Car Garage (and other) aftermarket parts available on my store at scaleproshop.com. I’ll be calling them out as I go along.




It’s funny, because I had this exact kit since I was a kid, but it became separated from me for probably 35 years and I had totally forgotten about it until my stepmom moved and had me come get a bunch of kits she had stored that I didn’t even know about (score!).


 It  was  given to me as an open kit when I was a kid, and I hadn’t opened it at all until now. I had no idea what I was going to find inside, but it turned out that all the parts were there, even though 90% of the parts were off the sprues.


The only thing is, the engine was just not a good piece, so I went looking for a big block Chevy to put in instead of the small block that came with the kit. I found just what I was looking for in this kit.




Started off cleaning up the parts, and modifying the chassis to add a Halibrand quick change rear end, resin cast by my good friend Dutch Gorsha, @dog3models on Instagram. He does great work, so check him out at Instagram if you get a chance.






Cut out the old pumpkin.








Some of the front suspension pieces were not usable, so I made new ones with brass for a little added strength.








More to come!

Edited by Art Laski
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I went for an anodized aluminum look for the valve covers, so I shot them with Alclad Airframe Aluminum, then Tamiya clear blue acrylic thinned with lacquer thinner.



I also applied the clear blue to the injector stacks, but didn’t need the Alclad because they are already machined aluminum. The stacks are Detail Master DM-3295 HOLLY VELOCITY STACKS, from Scale Pro Shop.



Here are the engine parts painted up. The alternator and bracket is one piece, so an Alclad shade of aluminum chrome was applied to the alternator, then masked off, and Alclad chrome shot on the bracket.

The "carbs" are actually Fireball Model Works FI Tech fuel injectors.




  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...