Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kurtis Midget Hospital Build

My wife and I are in the hospital for a few days because we welcomed our 5th child, a son. Since I’m an old pro at this after 4 other births I decided to plan ahead for the boredom that would ensue. I pulled a kit off the shelf that I would build box-stock. I grabbed the Revell Kurtis V8-60 Midget. I did all the major spray painting a couple of days ago so it all had time to dry. (Tamiya lacquer) then prepared a small tool box with the essentials, hobby knife, glue, paint brushes and a bunch of the small testors bottles of paint. The nurse seemed impressed I brought a project to work on.

After the birth and everyone was asleep I started in. Man is this fun! And, what a great kit! Here  some progress pics. 

Pre-painting at home:

3C652BC3-A752-4008-9862-973912D49057.jpeg

Hospital tables make a great workbench!

99E7A873-1BD9-4B47-8299-1A0BD3ECE7F1.jpeg

5D5E872D-728D-407B-A75F-886B8A01FC74.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by Dan Hay
  • Like 1

Almost done. Decals are wrinkled and all the tiny parts were finicky but it was fun and helped pass the time.  We will probably go home this morning. I highly recommend a box stock build to pass the time if you’re in the hospital, vacation etc…

image.jpg

image.jpg

Few things.

First, congratulations.

Second, I thought you were supposed to sleep when the baby sleeps?

But seriously, these are great little kits. They are so well engineered that with the pre-painting done it was a great choice for a quick build.

I think the kit came with a small prop rod to put on the tail so it would sit up level without being attached to a tow vehicle.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Few things.

First, congratulations.

Second, I thought you were supposed to sleep when the baby sleeps?

But seriously, these are great little kits. They are so well engineered that with the pre-painting done it was a great choice for a quick build.

I think the kit came with a small prop rod to put on the tail so it would sit up level without being attached to a tow vehicle.

Momma and the baby sleep off and on all day, I can’t really nap anymore at my age, and the “daddy couch” in the room is one step up from a park bench in relation to comfort… and they need quiet so no TV. This was the perfect quiet activity .

Thanks for the tip about the prop rod, I’ll have a look see. I thought about just gluing a nickel to the underside front of the trailer for counterbalance.

I was very impressed with the kit, the detail and photo etched parts included.

• 2 weeks later...