Model Cars Magazine Forum

RC Cola Porsche 917/10

Here it is. My build of George Follmer’s 1973 RC Cola Porsche 917/10. Built using the AMT (Matchbox) 1/32 scale Martini Porsche 917/10 kit, and Indycal Decals. I’m really pleased with how this kit turned out. I always wanted to build a static kit, reflecting the old Aurora AFX slot car I bought from Auto World, of the same car back in 1973. The kit itself was great to build. The detail is pretty good for what it is. The rear cover comes off exposing the engine. But, once it’s on, it’s so tight, and the engine has so little detail, I decided to just leave it on for these photographs. I did cut the decals, so it can come off if it has to. Speaking of decals, the decals from Indycal Decals where great for this kit. They went down beautifully. And snugged down tight in the difficult places using Tamiya’s MarkFit Strong decal setting solution, as recommended on Indycal’s website.

I’m please with the kit. I’m please with the decals. I’m please with the overall results. And I hope your pleased looking at it here too. Now to go find a bottle of Royal Crown Cola. And raise a toast to George Follmer, Porsche, and the great Can Am races of the 1960’s and 70’s. 

B849641E-4735-4468-A369-86075EFFE08F.jpeg

FDC5262B-7FEA-4722-A48B-4349954B535B.jpeg

48BA8AE8-8B15-4A93-8713-CB55D176AFA7.jpeg

062D73B6-7317-4A38-990C-3359ECF5DC7C.jpeg

1C81FF80-084B-4147-BCF0-7E4D645C7425.jpeg

8BE47076-57B2-4D23-AE13-C9421DBA3A45.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Phildaupho said:

Looks wonderful. Great livery. Would be fun to mount on a slot-car chassis and take it for a few laps !!

I use to do a few laps with the HO scale Aurora AFX version. Though I do have memories of the front spoiler on that car be a bit of a problem on more than a few occasions. Though I still loved it. And though it had paper stickers, rather than tampo printing for its graphics, it looked so cool. So cool, I had to do this kit when I realized the decal were available for it. 

Doing a quick search on the web, I found a good example of the Aurora slot car that inspired me in the building of this kit. Man. I wish I still had one today. But, most of the ones you for sale out there, are either too expensive. Or too beat up. Or both. I wonder if there is any way Round might consider re-popping that one. Maybe with tampo printed graphics rather than stickers. That would be so cool. 

By the way, speaking of Round 2. The present owner’s of Auto World. Did anybody notice one of the sponsor decals on nose of the my model car? It’s Auto World. From back in the day when the owner of the original Auto World, Oscar Koveleski was active in racing. All the more reason Round 2 should bring back the slot car. Auto World was one of original sponsors back in the day! 

D14AE875-0397-4D23-AB11-4C4BE005A4CF.jpeg

Scott...you don't have to wait for  Round 2 to re-pop this car. Here is what I did with a beat up Porsche I purchased off Ebay for $10. Decals are from Indycals. ( nI think they may have the RC ones too)  Hade to repair the wing support and make a new wing.  Luckily I have several originals to use as templates. But still just a couple of hours work here. A roll-back chassis completes this example. It was too pretty to put a racing chassis under it. 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

DSC07504.JPG

2 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Scott...you don't have to wait for  Round 2 to re-pop this car. Here is what I did with a beat up Porsche I purchased off Ebay for $10. Decals are from Indycals. ( nI think they may have the RC ones too)  Hade to repair the wing support and make a new wing.  Luckily I have several originals to use as templates. But still just a couple of hours work here. A roll-back chassis completes this example. It was too pretty to put a racing chassis under it. 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

DSC07504.JPG

Your L&M 917/10 slot car looks great. But, it’s beyond my skill set, doing what you’ve done. Plus I’m not in big rush to get an HO scale version, since I now have a larger 1/32 scale one. If the price was right on an old one in good shape. Or Round 2 did offer a new one. I would add it to my collect. But, until either happens, I’m pretty happy with what I got. Again, nice job on yours. 

1 hour ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thank you Larry. I am very proud of how well this one turned. I can’t always say that every time. Some builds I’ve posted here, I’m not 100% pleased with. This one? I pretty much am. There are flaws. But not many. And I’m not going to point therm out. It’s a good kit and a good build for me. 

47 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Me too. I wish I could find it still. I liked it better than Coke or Pepsi. 

27 minutes ago, magicmustang said:

Walmart by me has them at throwback price of $1 for a 2 liter bottle.

I don't think you can get it this far North anymore. Like 8 years back or so, my sister and my niece went down to southern Maryland to visit my younger sister. We went to a rib chain that we don't have up here and while you could order a fountain drink. they had this iced down tub of bottled sodas. One of them was RC. I grabbed one or 2 and slugged them down. They were delicious! I also seem to remember an extremely long burp after we were finished which of course, made the kids laugh hysterically. To me, RC has always been the best cola of the cola wars.