Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question for the Drag guys

JerseeJerry55

Hello all hope everyone is well. I am contemplating on doing my AMT 1968 Camaro at a minimum as a street racer, or even more as a match racer, or pro stock. That being said I could use suggestions on then following:

• What frame/floor pan would I pirate to use for the Camaro?
  • What aftermarket site(s) would I use to source the following- Rear tires, wheels. Front tires, wheels. Pro Stock type hood. Traction/ladder bars?
  • Big block Chevy motor?
  • Roll cage? For this I could just use a parts box NASACAR roll bar.
  • I assume Slixx will have what I need in the way of decals for my project

Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

2 hours ago, JerseeJerry55 said:

Hello all hope everyone is well. I am contemplating on doing my AMT 1968 Camaro at a minimum as a street racer, or even more as a match racer, or pro stock. That being said I could use suggestions on then following:

• What aftermarket site(s) would I use to source the following- Rear tires, wheels. Front tires, wheels. Pro Stock type hood. Traction/ladder bars?
  • Big block Chevy motor?

Ebay should have everything you need.  I'd just use the stock chassis unless you want a true tube chassis for a real pro stock car. That's my 69 Street strip car. I don't think the yellow slapper bars are on it in that pic yet. I got those from e bay along with wheels and tires already printed white. Use MAD   Distributors - Morgan Automotive Detail (madmodeling.com)  for your wired distributors. They have other parts too. Most realistic dist. around. Model Car Garage for nitrous tanks and shifters and such. Too many resin manf. out there too. Too many decal makers too.

115804209_305175237391590_7420740967143931001_n.jpg

• Like 2

You mention wanting to put together an AMT '68 Camaro with a big block. You might want to consider one of the Revell '67 kits released in the last couple of years. My reasoning for the Revell kit is, in my opinion, a better proportioned body, it has a big block in the kit, and I think they even offered slicks as an option. Sometimes this can be easier than trying to mix parts from a lot of different sources. The changes for the '67 to the '68 are very minor such as side running lights and removing the vent window post. Revell has just released a new tool '69 Camaro that also is a big block kit.  

18 hours ago, JerseeJerry55 said:

• Big block Chevy motor?

The answers to most of your questions are highly dependent on things like what era and type of race car (ie. what class? street/strip or race car only?). 

The roll cage or roll bar style will also vary based on the previously mentioned variables. I haven't studied any of the NASCAR cages n quite a while, but, one might work in a mid-'80s-on car, if you cut away the door bars and replace them with a diagonal bar. 

Whether you're building a replica, or something from your imagination, there can never be enough said for research! Fortunately, that's much easier today than it was in those aforementioned 1980s.😀 There are a lot of folks  who are willing to help, but we'll need something a little more specific, to be of much help.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

The answers to most of your questions are highly dependent on things like what era and type of race car (ie. what class? street/strip or race car only?). 

The roll cage or roll bar style will also vary based on the previously mentioned variables. I haven't studied any of the NASCAR cages n quite a while, but, one might work in a mid-'80s-on car, if you cut away the door bars and replace them with a diagonal bar. 

Whether you're building a replica, or something from your imagination, there can never be enough said for research! Fortunately, that's much easier today than it was in those aforementioned 1980s.😀 There are a lot of folks  who are willing to help, but we'll need something a little more specific, to be of much help.

This what I want to more or less replicate. My 1967 Chevelle SS. So I guess it would be classified as a match racer. Someone suggested the Revell 1967 Camaro. However can’t find one reasonably priced. 

0456C34F-6063-40DF-B0A1-0FA56ACF3478.jpeg

Revell and Amt 67 Chevelle pro street kits are a good candidate for this project. Might have to adjust the floor pan to correct the wheel base. These also have the tires, rims, and the associated other parts. Plus a BBC engine. Another kit that can be sourced is the AMT pro street nova. This kit will have a SBC. But it’s a smaller floor pan so it might be better suited for the Camaro you mentioned. 
But like mentioned above, simply back half a Camaro kit that has the BBC would probably e the easiest route. 

Edited by Brutalform
  • Like 1

I don't see any need for a single aftermarket part for the project you describe; everything you need is available in kits. Don't worry about using the AMT '68 body, it can be made to look very good. How important are chassis details to you? The '68 is workable, but finding a Revell '69 chassis is simple. They are newer tooled parts, accurately detailed, and are plentiful. It fits the AMT body with just a little work. Big block engines are everywhere: Revell Camaros, Chevelles from AMT, Revell (stock and pro-street versions), AMT '70 Monte Carlo, AMT and Revell Corvettes, and on and on...

Much depends on a specific plan.

As meantioned the AMT 67 Chevelle Pro Street chassis or I've used the AMT 66 Nova Pro chassis.  I've also seen some fellows use a chassis from one of the NASCAR kits.  Once you start modifing you'll have to tweak things here and there to get parts to fit. 

Edited by Zippi