Model Cars Magazine Forum

Detail Painting the Edges of XKE Windows

I'm building a Jaguar XKE and I'm to the point of fitting the glass onto the model. The instructions call for painting the edges of the two side windows and the rear hatch window silver or chrome. I've coated them withe Future to make them clearer. I've tried using silver acrylic craft paint. I placed a little acrylic on a hard surface and tried to touch the edges of the windows in the paint. I'm getting uneven edges and some clumping. I guess I could thin the paint some to reduce the clumping and continue trying this method. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better method to paint the edges?

34 minutes ago, Miatatom said:

OK guys, how do you suggest putting it on the rear window and rounding the corners while keeping them even so all 4 corners look even? The side glass looks fairly easy.

The same way that you would do it if the trim was on the body rather than the glass.

Trim around front or real glass is never a single piece on the real car, so place your foil seams in the same places that they appear on the 1:1.

Usually those seams are not right in the corners, but somewhere near the corners on a straight section.

Usually, I’ll start with either the top and bottom followed by the sides, or vice versa, and overlap by just a fraction of an inch.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The same way that you would do it if the trim was on the body rather than the glass.

Trim around front or real glass is never a single piece on the real car, so place your foil seams in the same places that they appear on the 1:1.

Usually those seams are not right in the corners, but somewhere near the corners on a straight section.

Usually, I’ll start with either the top and bottom followed by the sides, or vice versa, and overlap by just a fraction of an inch.

Steve

Should the inside of the corners be rounded or squared?

1 hour ago, Miatatom said:

Should the inside of the corners be rounded or squared?

I’m not sure that I get your meaning.

The corners of the glass in this car appear to be quite rounded in comparison to most rear windows, so yes, I would say that the inside of the corners need to be rounded.

Steve