Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Plymouth LAWMAN

espo

Nice work.  Gotta love the early super stockers.  Just curious, did you fill the holes for the arm rests?  I did on the 1964 Plymouth Belvedere kit I have to make it into the A864 hemi car.  Got it all sanded down, then, surprise, on the other side of the interior panels, as on your car, there are no arm rest holes and a plain interior as the hemi car had.  So, I flipped it over.  Also, did you forget to sand the rear slicks smooth and sand too much on the front tires as I did.

7227737D-0F46-489F-AA6F-3CB593C25794.jpeg

83E28EE0-3824-41C3-820F-1FBF6FB2B52F.jpeg

14 hours ago, R. Thorne said:

Nice work.  Gotta love the early super stockers.  Just curious, did you fill the holes for the arm rests?  I did on the 1964 Plymouth Belvedere kit I have to make it into the A864 hemi car.  Got it all sanded down, then, surprise, on the other side of the interior panels, as on your car, there are no arm rest holes and a plain interior as the hemi car had.  So, I flipped it over.  Also, did you forget to sand the rear slicks smooth and sand too much on the front tires as I did.

7227737D-0F46-489F-AA6F-3CB593C25794.jpeg

83E28EE0-3824-41C3-820F-1FBF6FB2B52F.jpeg

Hi Ron, Thank you for your interest in this. I didn't do enough research to know if the arm rests would be in the car but felt this might be something that they would leave out for weight. For this reason, I elected to fill the holes for the arm rests. The arm rests on both sides of the interior panel reminds me of two Lindberg kits I have from when they were first brought to market. The stock style kit and the Richard Petty NASCAR kit share the same interior side panels. The smooth side was for the race car and the side with the interior imprinted for the stock car. Great idea by the manufacture as this enabled them to use the same panels in both kits and saved them having to make two different parts. I like the color of your interior I used Tamiya AS-15 (USAF) Tan with TS Light Sand Metallic for the seat inserts and the dash panel. I'll look for your build and follow.  

18 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

6 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Nice!

4 hours ago, slusher said:

Beautifully done David!

4 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Very impressive build.  I have the kit and decals in my stash waiting to be done, hope it comes out as clean as your build.

3 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Really nice build.

Thank you, guys for the kind words. I'm actually disappointed in the two-tone paint job. After posting the pictures and seeing them blown up I almost wanted to have the mods take them down. While no one has mentioned it, if you look at the break between the colors, they're anything but straight. I used fine line tape and everything looked great after unwrapping the body and clear coating it. Everything still looked great to me until I saw the pictures up on the screen and I thought, "What Tha". I had an annual appointment with my eye doctor the next day to check my prescription and we had been talking about maybe needing Cataract surgery at some future date. I'm going to a consult with the surgeon at the end of the month. The prognoses is all good and my wife even had a similar operation last year so there really is no concern about the outcome. But looking at those lines between the two colors almost made me want to put this in the pond.     

Nice job David on this max wedge Lawman. I particularly like the paint work in the interior and the mag spoke wheel paint detailing. Don’t beat yourself up over the paint lines, two-tones can be a challenge. I gave up doing them with lacquers due to paint bleed at the masking edges and have had much better luck using the matte base paints (Zero, Scale Finishes) and then clear coating.

I highly recommend cataract surgery, it was a breeze and my eyesight is now 20-20 (I wore coke bottle lens eyeglasses and hard contacts most of my life). I had both eyes done for distance and just use stronger reading glasses for modeling (3X or stronger). Wish I could have had this surgery when I was younger, it’s a real life changer.

Edited by papajohn97
Added content

On 9/8/2022 at 7:21 PM, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

On 9/9/2022 at 6:58 AM, ChrisR said:

Nice!

On 9/9/2022 at 9:37 AM, slusher said:

Beautifully done David!

On 9/9/2022 at 7:44 PM, Zippi said:

Good looking Plymouth.  Nice interior.

Thank you for looking and your kind words. 

21 hours ago, papajohn97 said:

Nice job David on this max wedge Lawman. I particularly like the paint work in the interior and the mag spoke wheel paint detailing. Don’t beat yourself up over the paint lines, two-tones can be a challenge. I gave up doing them with lacquers due to paint bleed at the masking edges and have had much better luck using the matte base paints (Zero, Scale Finishes) and then clear coating.

I highly recommend cataract surgery, it was a breeze and my eyesight is now 20-20 (I wore coke bottle lens eyeglasses and hard contacts most of my life). I had both eyes done for distance and just use stronger reading glasses for modeling (3X or stronger). Wish I could have had this surgery when I was younger, it’s a real life changer.

Thanks John. They now have lenses that will act like reading glasses including the addition to compensating distance and near sight. Even corrected with glasses my left eye is at 35 so it's time to do something. 

15 hours ago, Street Rod said:

Looks really good!

15 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I think you did good David all things concidered.

And I wouldn't worry too much about not sanding the seams off those slicks. A lot of slicks actually have a seam around the center just like that when they're new.

Hoosier 18131D06: Drag Slick 26 x 10-15 - JEGS High Performance

I did scuff all four tires and the slicks actually looked ok to me. This is another reason I'm going to have cataract surgery; I just can't see the details the way I once did. 

On 9/13/2022 at 1:32 PM, R. Thorne said:

Guess you’ve got something like this.  I would be lost without it, especially the light, even though I burn thru aaa batteries too quickly.

A0D9F904-3DC7-4DA7-A30A-32A38C33FCAE.jpeg

I have been using a magnifying glass surrounded by a light on an adjustable arm mounted to my work desk. Very bulky compared to what you have here. Hoping that after the surgery I will not be needing it so much.  

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, R. Thorne said:

Did you have surgery and, if so, how are the eyes doing?

Thank you for your concerns, Ron. I had one eye done just before Christmas and the other after New Years. I'm so blessed with the way it turned out. I now have 20/20 vision and my stigmatism has been corrected as well. I went for the mid-range option of the three lenses offered. This leaves me only needing to wear glasses for reading and at the computer or detail work on model building. The next up option now is like having a lens like I used to wear only built into the new lens. The operation itself was painless, which is good since I'm a baby about those things. Just a couple of weeks with eye drops to promote healing and provide "water" for your eye. I had to wear an eye patch at night to prevent any rubbing in my sleep. Better plan on buying some dark glasses since everything is so much brighter now. Absolutely recommend anyone who needs this type of operation to do it. The advancements made in this type of surgery has advanced tremendously even in just the last year.  

Glad to hear your cataract surgery went well. I’m going on four years with my implants and the only minor issue has been normal scar tissue build-up after one to two years which resulted in a slight amount of fuzzy vision. My doc fixed this in each eye with a quick painless YAG laser shot, took less than a minute and no prep or pain.

I’m approaching 70 and while my vision is wonderful the remainder of my body is aging as expected. This is encouraging me to not waste any time and to build the better kits in my stash sooner than later. Enjoy your new eyes!