Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need A really small diameter circle decal.

I need 2 really small (I'd say about 6mm) circles to mask off for painting. No way my hands are steady enough to try this with an exacto knife. I have one of those hole punches for leather that is really good for this kind of thing, but the largest hole is way too small. My next stop is the dollar store. They always have that one isle with the sticker packs for the kids. Any other source for this kind of thing?

Just a suggestion:  Take a piece of brass tubing with the inside diameter the size you want for the disc.  File or grind the outside edge so that it forms a sharp inner edge and use it as a punch.  You will probably have to "sharpen" the edge as you use it as it tends to roll over when you tap it on a hard surface.  But it works!

I was almost certain that I bought 20220906_164550.thumb.jpg.d5ab89f4a049812a4a91e3d72d0d03e2.jpg20220906_164659.thumb.jpg.1a297a17fceee2f8be1f3a038db2b982.jpgone of those cheap harbor freight hole punch set and went insane looking for it. In the back of a drawer. I found this old binder hole punch that I forgot all about.  I stuck  piece of the masking tape to an old backing from a vinyl decal and it worked out perfectly.  I'll put them inside an old dollar store bottle for safe keeping until I'm ready to paint my '70 super bee. I like it with the '69 tail stripe.

20220906_164550.thumb.jpg.d5ab89f4a049812a4a91e3d72d0d03e2.jpg

23 hours ago, Mike C. said:

I need 2 really small (I'd say about 6mm) circles to mask off for painting. No way my hands are steady enough to try this with an exacto knife. I have one of those hole punches for leather that is really good for this kind of thing, but the largest hole is way too small. My next stop is the dollar store. They always have that one isle with the sticker packs for the kids. Any other source for this kind of thing?

Arctic Decals from Finland sells fantastic masking sets, four of them with different sizes: https://www.arcticdecals.com/tuotteet.html?id=21459/

Here's the one that would suit your needs:

ARC72-FR06_Circular_vinyl_paintings_mask

I use them often, both the 'inner' parts (to cover 1/72 scale wheels) and the 'outer' parts to cover the tires.

Rob