Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 2017 Camaro "Fiftieth" Anniversary Edition

mustang1989

I've been working on a pair of 1970-1/2 Camaros for the last couple of months. I am almost finished with my Z/28 version and was just about to get started on the Baldwin Motion Camaro when I found out that a good friend of mine at work is going to retire in late November. He owns a 2017 Camaro "Fiftieth" Edition and I thought I'd build him a going away present. It's rare when I do this as I always tend to feel under the gun of a time frame in which to get a build finished in time.

In any case, Here's the kit.

I already know this; I'm going to have to address........if you guessed it....you're right....the ride height at the front of the car.

• Like 2

Thanks Declan, Ken, Dan and Carl!!! 

Dan: I think he's got an idea that I may be building it for him as I asked him for a few pictures of the interior of his car. The idea is to personalize it some, but I didn't come out and tell him that.

I managed to get the engine finished up this morning. I may come back and do a couple of touch ups here and there. It's all OOB except for the oil filter decal which I just had to add.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The only chrome parts in the whole kit were the wheels and these aren't supposed to be chrome. They are more of a silver with a contrasting darker color used for the inlay areas of the wheel.

spacer.png

So I went to work by stripping all of the chrome off of the wheels and cleaning them up.

spacer.png

Here they are finished up. One of the problems with silver is that any leftover flash at all will show up in pictures. In real life you've really gotta be looking to see it. I used Vallejo Silver for the wheels and shaded the darker areas with ground up black pastel. Just didn't feel comfortable painting the inlay areas. I then put a dot of Molotow Chrome on the lugnuts and then used a toothpick to apply MM Chrome Silver to the Bowtie emblem in the middle of each wheel.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Thanks fellas!! I appreciate the good word. 

James: I saw that one when it was done and it does indeed look good man. Two thumbs up!!! 

I started on the chassis by getting the brake rotors and brake calipers all ready. I really wished there were some "Camaro" scripts for the calipers as they are going to be extremely visible through the wheels. But...that's that and they aint there so....moving on now.

I also started the aluminum shielding for the exhaust painting this morning. I'll be touching up the chassis in areas that didn't get adequate coverage/ overspray/ or totally missed in the days coming.

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 9/24/2022 at 10:24 AM, bluestringer said:

That is looking great. You are doing a lot more detailing than I did. I didn't even do much painting at all, just threw on a clear coat over the colored plastic. 

I've done just that in the past as well James. Thank you for the comments.

On 9/25/2022 at 10:32 AM, slusher said:

Following your build Joe, wheels 🛞 look spot on!  Keep up the great work brother!

'Preciate the kind words and you're following along Carl.

On 9/25/2022 at 11:50 AM, majel said:

Great work on the engine, the colors look spot on.

Thanks James. It'd be really nice to get this one finished up quick but I just don't think it's gonna happen because I'm a stickler for detail. 

LOTSA work going on with this one just trying to figure out how to get the stance right. After several days I finally got the front where I want it after sanding the heck out of the mounting pad on the chassis to get the upper control arm to sit further up. This gave me the scale inch or so lowered that I wanted and I may be able to tweak it just a wee bit more.

Test fit: 

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 1

Thanks fellas!! Getting this one to a lower stance has been a tricky ordeal but I'm making my way through it. I did some work on the rear suspension to get the stance mostly where I want it. Gonna play around with the front a little more to get a tad bit lower. A good test fit/ mock up later:

dxvHaK.jpg

One thing this kit has going for it is a completely detailed out undercarraige. Very high parts count (over 40 parts) and a great effort by AMT on replicating it.

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2022 at 10:02 AM, Randy D said:

Your work so far looks great Joe!!

Helped my grandson build this one awhile back and was impressed by the detail AMT put in.

Randy

Thanks Randy. Sorry for the late reply bud. Been out of pocket now for a few weeks....out of town...sick...other priorities....lol. Never ends.

Well, I've finally got enough done on this bad boy to show some progress. To say that this is one of the better chassis builds I've built up would simply be an understatement. AMT did VERY well on this one. In looking at the reference photos that I had to work with, I knew I had my work cut out for me if was to replicate something with so many different shades of the same color as well as the aluminum & steel paneling that provided the base work for the chassis that included almost 50 parts by the time it was all said and done.

Most of the parts were in the rear suspension. I'm in awe at the amount of detail that was provided. Getting everything to look non "Blase" was a trick in itself.

• Like 1