Model Cars Magazine Forum

Source for tiny metal nuts, bolts & etc?

1 hour ago, Monty said:

I'd love to find some place that sells extremely small nuts, bolts and other similar items that I can use in various ways.  Seems like someone posted this up a few years ago, but I'm not seeing it.

You mean like these? Can't remember what size the small starts at on the meng but it ends at 1.4mm 

TPTD23239.webp.b95d59fe582ce615ad5382e4c1ab641c.webpMENG-SPS005.webp.684f9db923e2c982cbd5abf22048a372.webpMENG-SPS007.webp.0fe1b5755dc15fdb09dfd1b117127f23.webp

Maybe a bit of lateral thinking here, but it might be worth either looking at the model railroad fraternity, or actual engineering or electronics suppliers for tiny nuts and bolts as opposed to being locked into looking at just model auto offerings.I

A web search should find either.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Those are very nice but unless you’re looking for large bolts, they are not in scale. 1mm is close to 1” in 1/25th scale. I don’t mind putting in some details that are slightly out but sometimes the proportion is so far out, it looks toylike IMO. I can appreciate the model builder who attempts all the detail but I just assume leave it out. 🙂

18 minutes ago, Rick L said:

Those are very nice but unless you’re looking for large bolts, they are not in scale. 1mm is close to 1” in 1/25th scale. 

Some of us build in large scales where these are entirely appropriate.

Anything smaller is pretty much impossible to machine by conventional means, which is where simulated resin or styrene fasteners come in.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I agree that some builders go larger but in 1/16th scale .039 is 5/8ths and 5/16ths in 1/8th scale. The larger you go, the more detail you’re leaving out if you DON’T install the detailed nuts. I once attempted a “Big T” and realized if I didn’t put in the oil pan plug and bolts it wouldn’t be detailed enough. 
such a dilemma!!! I wound up passing it off to a buddy of mine because I didn’t want to spend eternity on the build.🤣

Edited by Rick L

5 minutes ago, Rick L said:

I agree that some builders go larger but in 1/16th scale .039 is 5/8ths and 5/16ths in 1/8th scale. The larger you go, the more detail you’re leaving out if you DON’T install the detailed nuts. I once attempted a “Big T” and realized if I didn’t put in the oil pan plug and bolts it wouldn’t be detailed enough. 
such a dilemma!!! I wound up passing it off to a buddy of mine because I didn’t want to spend eternity on the build.🤣

If you just need a visible flat bolt head, Evergreen styrene hexagonal sprue is a good option - and a $3 pack will make HUNDREDS of bolt heads.

Titchy Train Co makes a bunch of sizes in styrene too, with protruding thread and different shape and size heads.  The model railroad community has a bunch of useful things that we can use for our purposes - the scales are 'wrong', usually, but luckily the bolts don't know what they're being used on...

If all you need are the bolt heads you can make your own with some hex rod and a chopper tool.  Just adjust the blade and stop on the tool for the thickness you want the bolt head to be and chop away.  Hex rod comes in a variety of sizes.  Smallest I have by Plastruct is 1mm but I can make hundreds of them.  Another alternative is to use wire and ceramic hex beads.  #15 ceramic beads by Fusion Beads.  Drill a hole, slip in a section of wire, drop the ceramic bead over the wire and superglue them together.  Snip off the wire and you have the look of a lug nut for a wheel.

• 2 weeks later...