Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis cadillac 57

happy grumpy

I wasn't sure if I wanted to post this. An old kit for sure, the multi piece body design is not the most accurate. This thing fought me all the way. The top doesn't fit properly and and basically , everything else. I wanted to reproduce the box art. Not my best piece for sure but , here it is. It's not bad but not great either. Not an expert so I don't know if the proportions are right, they look ok to me. The top is painted Tamiya pure white and the body is tamiya bright red. I knew what I was getting but it's the only choice that I know of. 

thanks for looking.

cadillac fleetwood 1957 00.jpg

cadillac fleetwood 1957 01.jpg

cadillac fleetwood 1957 02.jpg

cadillac fleetwood 1957 03.jpg

cadillac fleetwood 1957 04.jpg

cadillac fleetwood 1957 05.jpg

cadillac fleetwood 1957 06.jpg

• Like 9

First model car kit I ever attempted long, long ago and I’ve tried at least twice more over the decades to make a decent model out of that kit . . . without much luck. The Caddy is indeed a tough build but you clearly mastered it.  Beautiful job and stellar photography!

8 hours ago, 70 Sting said:

Excellent build quality and photography… as usual.

8 hours ago, Slotto said:

Super clean machine.

8 hours ago, Jim B said:

That's really cool. Well done.

Thanks guys. Glad you like it.

8 hours ago, Steve Geer said:

First model car kit I ever attempted long, long ago and I’ve tried at least twice more over the decades to make a decent model out of that kit . . . without much luck. The Caddy is indeed a tough build but you clearly mastered it.  Beautiful job and stellar photography!

Thanks Steve. It sure was a rough ride, especially after building a modern Tamiya kit.

7 hours ago, grodudulle77 said:

Very nice build, as usual your pics are very neat !! 👍😀

Merci Phillipe.

7 hours ago, espo said:

A shame the body proportions are so far off because the finish and trim detailing here looks great. 

Thanks David.

5 hours ago, cobraman said:

Looks darn good to me.

Thanks Ray. 

2 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Looks great!  I always like your pictures..

Thanks Chaz, I appreciate it.

2 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice Caddy!

Thanks Larry.

1 hour ago, Street Rod said:

Great job in spite of the difficulties you had! Looks like a real car sitting in the garage.

Thanks Doyle. Colleagues at work get often tricked by my wallpapers on my computer.

58 minutes ago, john sharisky said:

Thanks for the link John, an interesting story. I'm glad they did that kit even if it's flawed.

40 minutes ago, bondo bill said:

sweet

Thanks Bill

38 minutes ago, Lunajammer said:

Lovely Caddy! That's about as good as can be done with this kit.

Thanks Mike. I'm glad it's finished.

15 minutes ago, Kah puts said:

Excellent job on a finicky kit, bravo. 

Thanks Glenn. cheers from a Canadian neighbor.

This kit was developed so long ago, in a time when "close" was good enough. Technology and Engineering was much more rudimentary. That said, I actually have come to appreciate these vintage kits for what they represent—a moment in the history of the hobby. They serve as a sort of a living history exhibit. They remind us to be grateful for what we have offered to us today. And, as shown in this example, scale fidelity aside, they make for a beautiful display if time and care are taken. Beautiful build! Made me smile to see one of these built and detailed so well.

• Like 1