Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch built modern surfboards

I got tired of waiting for somebody to come out with some more modern, shorter, "thruster" type surfboards like the one my friends and I used to use back in the 80s and 90s, so I took it upon myself to try and build a couple of them. I have a couple of surfing type vans in the works, and these would be perfect for these. Now the thruster was a shorter, sort of higher performance type of board unlike the laid-back "cruiser" kind of longer boards of yesteryear. The thruster always had 3 fins. Was fairly thin, with a lot of "rocker"(the arch of the board) especially towards the nose. It's still fun to take out the long boards. They are especially good in smaller surf, but the thruster works better when you have a little more "juice". I would compare it to Driving a Porsche vs. a dump truck around a slalom course. Hers a picture of what I'm going for.

$_58.jpg

Edited by Mike C.
  • Like 1

I started by gluing together 3 pieces of sheet styrene and letting it set up overnight. Their I used my mitre box to cut that fir the 2 halfs. I took a cutting disk on the Dremel to cut out the rough shapes. Then the fun part began. Sanding and sanding and more Dremel this time with the cylindrical bit. I finally got the rough shape. A need a bit of a brake. Now I think I'll start with the plain sand paper. Not looking forward to the fins.20220909_134051.thumb.jpg.bd95f019d7992453cecc2a44960d0ca0.jpg20220909_135353.thumb.jpg.cd0b33ddf40da0e4b6558c74adfc5bcc.jpg20220909_135840.thumb.jpg.511a5d893fc9eea7efecbd3b4ff08947.jpg20220909_140343.thumb.jpg.c7bb3911dc5311c6d5ab953abcc2f319.jpg20220909_142247.thumb.jpg.416f62db3e8d889d9d4ba3280c43c3da.jpg20220909_150551.thumb.jpg.bde4e0c0c6fd0a8ff46266ad8892c44b.jpg

• Like 2

Martin Potter. One of the years he was world champ. I think it was 3 times. He came paddling out with us at our home break. It had to be like 1989. He was visiting the local surf shops on a promotional tour. He came out with us and preceded to blow everyone's mind. He was doing moves like this in 1-foot waves. We were asking each other "where's he getting the speed? "The only reason we were even out was because it was unbearably hot that day. Needless to say, the whole town was abuzz.

224-scan005.jpg

Edited by Mike C.
  • Like 1

Back to the shaping bay. Halfway through the heavy lifting.  I think I'm finished with the power tools. Now downto emory boards and sand paper. I just put some filler on. I'll let that dry a while. The bottoms are a little chard because i had to heat them up with a flame to get the right rocker for both boards. Here is the thinner  styrene I plan to use for the fins. It's that weird piece from the back of the Deserter pickup. 

20220910_090743.thumb.jpg.add8a65da6a1592a5f32d6a55793beb7.jpg20220910_090757.thumb.jpg.bd7883a987367f6b5258d11b900c9b92.jpg

Nice work on the surf boards. I was a skateborder myself but a few of my friends surf. I was asked to show some surf guys around the islands a few years ago simply because both had board in the name, lol. fun guys to hang around with for a few days but since i cant swim its never appealed as something to try. I have enjoyed the grant mcnamara series about big wave riding at st nazairre though, those guys are insane

Nice shaping Les! If I had to do it again, I might choose a softer material like the 1:1s. Foam.

I had to sit there and hold that first trailing fin for what felt like forever waiting for the glue to set up, so I came up with a sort of jig to hold it in place this time. The side fins have to tilt out slightly so I will have to come up with something else.

7 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

So no shark bite out of a board?  Nice work Mike, I am wondering where you were picking up the waves in Pennsylvania.  LOL 

That was back when I lived in Avalon NJ for a while. Eventually came back to PA. Then I would Surf in Belmar NJ (90 miles from my home), when one of my good friends moved up there with his girlfriend. I could rely on them to give me a good wave report. They could tell me if it was worth the ride.

• Like 1