Model Cars Magazine Forum

An LS powered 2door Cherokee.

1 hour ago, Doug 1061 said:

Wow, talk about shoehorned in.  Looks like fun.

Yea definitely a tight fit,but he made it work.I should’ve asked how much horse power he was running.Never saw anyone stuff an engine like that into a Cherokee.It was pretty cool though. 

Cool! I've often wondered if there's a performance upgrade for the Cherokee. They're generally treated as either winter beaters or weekend trail rigs, so not much motivation for engine swaps there.

I see Cherokees around all the time, and daily drive one. Yeah, they're all beat. And two-doors? Forget it, haha!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 8:17 PM, Spex84 said:

Cool! I've often wondered if there's a performance upgrade for the Cherokee. They're generally treated as either winter beaters or weekend trail rigs, so not much motivation for engine swaps there.

I see Cherokees around all the time, and daily drive one. Yeah, they're all beat. And two-doors? Forget it, haha!

Yea,I mean there are thousands of Cherokees still driving on the roads today.I don’t know exactly how many were built,but as i said they are all over.And yes most have some rust,and usually all in the same areas,especially the older years..I actually have had four of them in recent years.They built them from 84-2001.I had a green two door 4,or,5 spd,I can’t remember.Side pop out windows.It actually was sort of a rare truck in 93,being a two door stick.But back in 2012,some idiot girl is driving towards me at night,while i’m making a left turn.She hits me in the back passenger tire,rolling me over onto my roof.And the reason for the accident,was that the stupid idiot didn't have her head lights on,so i never saw her coming.And it was lifted 5 inches on 33 inch tires.Thank God i had a roof rack and spare tire up on the roof.I just remember rolling upside down.Then i had to take my seat belt off withought falling on my head.Then I climbed out my window with glass everywhere.And all i wanted to do was look for the bimbo who slammed into me.I sued her,had a witness statement that she never had her lights on..But then i picked up a great totally stock rust free,and great silver paint 2000 Cherokee.Then i lifted,but almost 7 inches,on 35 inch tires.I loved that truck,plenty of extras too.But one day i had a blow out,and the truck ran off the road,and i completely wrecked the front suspension,I tore all of it completely off the Jeep,and a bunch other nasty things done to the truck from hitting the curb.😤😤🤬😡The Cherokee was such a great truck,and i thought i was upset when i rolled my 93,but that was nothing compared to wrecking my 2000.I probably would’ve owned that truck forever.And yup I’m still VERY upset that i wrecked it.😭😭😖🙁😫And then i picked up a couple of 2001s.One for parts,and one is my daily driver.5,1/2 inch lift on 35s.A winch,and a lot of other extras.It’s rust free too,with a wrap,etc..But again my 2000 was my favorite..OMG i rambled on,no one’s going to read all this.LOL.This was my 2000,and my 01.

D131B705-6A82-4149-AA1F-FB11F383BF21.jpeg

6190E7C6-C198-424C-98AB-2E1C8C3A7881.jpeg

8040DBC3-17B0-4BEA-9F78-ED5BD51FAF30.jpeg

505BF82C-5DEE-469E-8AF9-B348108BCAC9.jpeg

• Like 1

I still love these things, and miss my old one constantly. Had a 93 XJ Sport. Four door with the 4.0L and an auto. Was somewhat of a rare spec, as it had the factory rear spare tire mount.

Bought it in 1998 with less than 20,000km on it. Put almost half a million km on that thing. Countless camping trips, a couple of Jeep Jamborees. Definitely miss it. 

xj001.jpgxj002.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I still love these things, and miss my old one constantly. Had a 93 XJ Sport. Four door with the 4.0L and an auto. Was somewhat of a rare spec, as it had the factory rear spare tire mount.

Bought it in 1998 with less than 20,000km on it. Put almost half a million km on that thing. Countless camping trips, a couple of Jeep Jamborees. Definitely miss it. 

xj001.jpgxj002.jpg

Nice Jeep,and i never knew that the rear spare tire carrier was even an option on the Cherokees.I’m thinking of putting one on mine,along with a small roof rack.The only thing i don’t really like on my Cherokee are the wheels.So i may change them too.They look like Hummer wheels.

It's fun to see all the love for the XJs :D  But man, those are some of the cleanest-looking examples I've ever seen, guys! Mine is "unmolested" in that it's not modified. But with the winter driving (brine, yech) it's going downhill in an awful hurry. I feel like a monster for letting it happen, but...they did make a zillion of the things, after all! It only has 250k on it, so as long as I don't completely deferred-maintenance it to death, I hope to get some more years out of it yet!