Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Shelby GT350 R-Model 5R101

Okay, guys. I know I've been really hesitant about posting this, but this is my current build, a Monogram 1965 Shelby GT350 R-Model. Shelby American built 36 of these in 1965; the first 2 cars (5R001, and 5R002) being prototypes, and 34 production cars, which were broken up into three batches (5R094-5R108, 5R209-5R213, 5R527-5R540). The car I decided to tackle is 5R101, which is the eight production R Model, and has an incredible racing history. 5R101 was also the most winningest R Model to have competed in vintage racing, racking up 52 wins and 24 podium finishes between 1979 and 1986 with Alan Bolte at the wheel. In 2003, 5R101 was invited to the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Since there are so many different versions of 5R101 throughout the years, I have decided to build the current version of the car. Right now, I am working on doing the rear valence panel, but would like to know how to add the bumps that are under the taillights. So far, I have the interior completed, along with the lines underneath the chassis. 

IMG_4741.jpeg

IMG_4782.jpeg

IMG_4783.jpeg

1965_shelby_gt350_r_52_giylpl.jpg

1965_shelby_gt350_r_50_dvzeea.jpg

1965_shelby_gt350_r_31_tbd3c9.jpg

1965_shelby_gt350_r_2_cjvzny.jpg

IMG_4123.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I wasn't happy with the way the body was coming out, so I started over. We've all been there, and I'm sure you know the saying "s--- happens", and I ended up getting a new body and rear valence panel. I just need to know how to make the rear valence look like a two piece unit that is up to par with the real thing. I tried using that Tamiya 2 part epoxy putty and it actually separated from the panel, causing my part to not be flush. I will provide pics of the new body, and what I am trying to achieve before I put the license plate on.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

IMG_4986.jpeg

IMG_4985.jpeg

IMG_4984.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 6.43.31 PM.png

• Like 3

Hello Maxx.

I'm not sure about what you want the end effect to be. It looks like you might want it to look like one piece of sheet metal overlapping another, is that correct?

My first suggestion is to fill it all in and scribe panel lines where you want them.  But if you want an overlapping look you may have luck using some thicker aluminum foil as the overlapping piece. Burnish and glue the foil over top of the lower piece to create the overlapping piece. You should be able to find some foil that's close to the scale thickness of the metal you want to replicate. I've done similar things before with mostly satisfactory results.

I hope that's helpful.

David G.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, David G. said:

Hello Maxx.

I'm not sure about what you want the end effect to be. It looks like you might want it to look like one piece of sheet metal overlapping another, is that correct?

My first suggestion is to fill it all in and scribe panel lines where you want them.  But if you want an overlapping look you may have luck using some thicker aluminum foil as the overlapping piece. Burnish and glue the foil over top of the lower piece to create the overlapping piece. You should be able to find some foil that's close to the scale thickness of the metal you want to replicate. I've done similar things before with mostly satisfactory results.

I hope that's helpful.

David G.

This part

IMG_5031.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The rear valence on an early Mustang is a separate piece of sheet metal from the rear body panel and the rear corners above the bumper are cast zinc pieces. The valence should be overlapping the body rear panel as it is bolted onto it. The shapes in the body rear panel could readily be made of .020 styrene sheet. Glued in place, then the left tapered down to practically zero, while the right side is left standing out proud, but both sides should be molded to the back panel with white glue or something similar that will fill without requiring further grinding and shaping.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2022 at 7:14 PM, DustyMojave said:

The rear valence on an early Mustang is a separate piece of sheet metal from the rear body panel and the rear corners above the bumper are cast zinc pieces. The valence should be overlapping the body rear panel as it is bolted onto it. The shapes in the body rear panel could readily be made of .020 styrene sheet. Glued in place, then the left tapered down to practically zero, while the right side is left standing out proud, but both sides should be molded to the back panel with white glue or something similar that will fill without requiring further grinding and shaping.

I'm working on that right now as we speak!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chassis looking good. The four rounds are the rubber plugs for the seat mounting studs. There should be 4 more inboard. Most R models I understand didn't have them replaced when the seats were swapped for the race buckets but that would leave a hole with the stud and nut visible and be tough to do. I added four more on my chassis with photo etched rings and filled them with black rubber paint. The ovals are the drains from primer dipping and should be silver/gray galvanized. There would be white overspray on the outer parts of the floor as well as black seam sealer. The transmission crossmember is bare steel so not painted black.

See the source image

See the source image

IMG_4123.jpeg

• Like 2