Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fugimi Lamborghini Countache 5000 qv: WIP

David G.

19 hours ago, slusher said:

Coming along very nicely, David very clean work also!

Thank you Carl.

18 hours ago, majel said:

This is looking great!  I really like your choice of color for the interior.

Thank you Jim. It seems like the three main options for that era were tan, red or white. Though I did seriously consider each color, tan just appealed most to me.

David G.

Hello Everybody!

The interior is nearly completed with just a few more finishing touches that need done. Though not perfect, I'm pleased with the way the embossing powder carpet came out. The subtle pre-shading I did on the seats was maybe a little too subtle but it's there. Mostly, I'm satisfied with how it all came out.

87_Lambo_15.jpg.6309c02a0c78978734612f04124ca17e.jpg

During my test fit of the rear glass I discovered that it appears to be just a little too tall compared to the top portion of the interior. This may cause some interference during final assembly. I'll check the fit against the body and make any needed adjustments. 

Also, I'm thinking that the area behind the glass (outside the cockpit) should probably be white as it looks to be more of a part of the body than the interior. I'll do some more research to try to find out.

87_Lambo_16.jpg.57a8719d588699a102df2094161518b0.jpg

All finished! The top of the rear window did indeed interfere with the roof so I filed it down. Before I glued the rear window in place, I also added some black trim around it with a Sharpie pen. 

I couldn't find any clear photos of the area behind the rear window and the kit directions called for it to be painted tan. So I decided to leave it tan instead of painting it white.

87_Lambo_17.jpg.0d1623e9b84e40bdd5825216a6bd8ee5.jpg

That's all for now. As always, thanks for looking and please feel free to comment.

David G.

Hello Everybody!

I managed to get a little more done on this kit, the progress has been slow and steady.

Here it is masked and shot with the first primer coat. I'll also make another application of panel line darkener.

87_Lambo_18.jpg.4fd986adb0bd8d48418aa9f522c0c0a8.jpg

The doors consist of three pieces each. It took me an entire build session to cut them from the sprues and clean them up. Not that they were in bad shape, there are just a lot of surfaces to deal with.

87_Lambo_19.jpg.f6891ec1408469f61f5203c2df3a4594.jpg

I honestly have some concerns regarding the iconic scissor doors. I'm a little intimidated by the thought of getting them to operate properly. So far though, it looks like fit and alignment should pose no problems. We'll have to see when it comes to the mechanism.

87_Lambo_20.jpg.b54a1b2e1271ee02b90cf5c3cc64e271.jpg

Here's a test fit of all the panels thus far. Everything looks as it should at this stage. I've even added another application of panel line darkener.

87_Lambo_21.jpg.5a292f19609990c24bbfbda8075133c1.jpg

That's all for now. As always, thanks for taking the time to look. And thank you to those who take the time to post a comment or two, I really do enjoy reading them.

David G.

20 hours ago, slusher said:

Nice progress David, so your doors open?  That’s really neat.

Thank you Carl. Yes, the doors are designed to open and close. I'm honestly feeling a little intimidated at the thought of making the mechanism work properly, but so far it seems workable

19 hours ago, thebavarian said:

Nice interieur. I hope the door a working better that mine from the Aoshima Diablo GT

Thank you very much Thomas for your compliment and wishing me success with the doors. 

David G.

16 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

David, here's a helpful hint on those working doors.  They will work quite nicely BTW if you are careful. .  Right where the hinge is at the front of the door, thin the plastic down for clearance.  And think about adding some magnets to hold the doors  in place

Thanks for the tips Rich. I do have some small magnets that I've been wanting to try using. Maybe this is the opportunity I've been waiting for.

David G.

Hello Everybody!

It's time for a progress update on the Lamborghini.

I got a good coat of paint down on the body, Tamiya TS-26 Pure White. Most of the body is in good shape with very little flash and no sink marks that I've found. There was one small casting flaw in the hood (not shown here) which I should be able to work out.

87_Lambo_22.jpg.863c56a0c9e2f41762e67312e1a30460.jpg

On the rear deck lid, Fujimi provides an insert for the open vent in the center. The directions call for the area rearward of the center vent to be painted flat black but no insert is provided. To my mind, this is a bit of a problem as any photos I've found of that area show some type of louver there. I plan to correct that with the use of some strip styrene.

87_Lambo_23.jpg.682e9d463d29d78670ff1b6d41e4506c.jpg

I cut two styrene strips and arranged them in a stair-step fashion. I then trimmed and filed them to fit the space.

87_Lambo_24.jpg.e41d1d3e989b87ca7f913e77627f80a8.jpg

Though not technically a louver, I think it looks better than a patch of flat black paint.

87_Lambo_25.jpg.2612aa9d5bbc11bf23173b61e11817ad.jpg

That's it for this round. 

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everybody!

I knot it's been a little while since the last update so here's another.

More white paint, this time for the trunk lid and vent boxes. And another panel line treatment.

87_Lambo_26.jpg.16b30a950a6393ada8dc5436052448e0.jpg

The side-view mirrors are meant to just be glued to the doors. For a number of reasons, I decided to pin them in place with some 26ga wire. While test fitting the mirrors I discovered that when positioned properly on the doors they stick out at a weird angle. They should be quite a bit more horizontal than they are.

87_Lambo_27.jpg.171c3c02c40245209ec7d8b15b092f12.jpg

At first I thought I would need to heat and bend the mirrors into the proper angle. Not a very pleasant nor easy task. After seeing them in place however, I decided that shimming them with styrene wedges would be a much easier way to do it. Shimming would also eliminate any chance of causing heat damage to the mirrors.

87_Lambo_28.jpg.2a0f4c8418df002cb20e4037264c343a.jpg

Here are the tiny wedges I made to correct the mirror positions. The wedges will tilt them outward so they are more horizontal.

87_Lambo_29.jpg.3099101508592119d2cbbc9b65255636.jpg

That's all I have for now. As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

Hello Everybody!

Here's (hopefully) the final chapter of the Saga of the Side-View Mirrors.

With the wedges added and filed to match the base and a coat of Dupli-color flat black applied to them, here is what they look like now. I'm considering filing the base on each one down a little thinner, but the wires I installed would make doing this neatly and cleanly a bit of a challenge. Given that, I think I can be happy with this. 

87_Lambo_30.jpg.9cabda2ba4455bf62cdf51936d088355.jpg

In either case, mission accomplished! The mirrors now look more like side-view mirrors than bat ears. The thick bases don't seem that noticeable but I'm still considering filing them down a little.

87_Lambo_31.jpg.fd1afd31e962873ffca7f7ffef159c6f.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions.

David G.

• Like 1