Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best Y-Block?

I thought the gasser wagon had vintage aftermarket covers.  I'll admit I haven't looked at it in a while, and mine is getting a '70 Torino 429 anyway.  The Y-block will get set aside for something else though, probably a Model A coupe.

For speed equipment, some of the Revell '57 kits have the factory supercharger option.  Make sure you get the right one though, some kits have the chrome parts but not the other parts.  AMT '57 Ford has a non-stock supercharger, similar to the factory one but is mounted on the opposite side of the engine.  Disregard the fuel injection setup in that kit, the pairs of intake stacks are clocked incorrectly.

AMT '56 Ford has a two-fours setup and a nice compact set of vintage headers.

The only Thunderbird finned aluminum valve covers I can recall were in the AMT '56 and '57 T-Bird kits. I have robbed them from both of my kits in the stash so that may be a problem in the future. Would like to know if they really exist in other kits.  

On 9/12/2022 at 2:40 PM, Calb56 said:

Wanting to use one in a 32 build. Best one with Thunderbird covers?

Just curious. 

Y block in  32 is a great idea. Let me give you a couple pointers since I'm familiar with that process.

The Y block and it's front cover/water pump/pulleys/fan assembly is quite long, an very tight fit in the friendly confines of the 32 engine compartment. This project happened to include a lengthened frame, and even so you can see how tight the fit is. All of this can be overcome with a little slice and dice and parts swapping. This engine is from the Revell 57 Ford, with some speed parts from Maple Leaf Modelworks

Edited by Mr. Metallic
  • Like 1

One thing to consider with a Y block Ford in a '32 Ford or anything with a crowded area around the front of the engine. The OEM Oil Sump is in the front of the engine and the pump itself is on the outside of the block on the driver's side. Since we're just dealing with plastic here, just do a 180 with the Oil Pan and mount the sump to the rear. This should go a long way to clear any cross members or suspension issues. 

Didn't two-seater T-Birds have oil pans with the sump at the back?  The Y-block was a legit engine swap for early V8 Fords in the late Fifties and Sixties, look through period magazines and you'll see a bunch of them.  Rod & Custom featured a black '32 Vicky with a Y-block that had the supercharger setup, I believe they even did a Model Sketchpad feature on it where they broke it down into components and suggested kit sources for them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

If you can find one, get the resin Ross Gibson Y-block. Great detail. 

I remember his stuff from when I was modeling before about 12+ years, I take it he's done?

Edited by Calb56
Auto-correct