Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salvino's Pre-Production Richard Petty 1971 RoadRunner

Art Laski

Just completed this Salvino’s Roadrunner sample build for them to display at the NRHSA Convention & Table-Top Expo in Las Vegas this week. Tamiya spray paint on most of the chassis and parts, and Splash paint Petty Blue and 2K clear for the body. Since the kit is not yet released, the decals were a mix of a Power Slide Yesterday’s sheet and miscellaneous Salvino’s decals.

You can pre-order from Salvino's now, but will also be available at ScaleProShop.com around November.

Photo Sep 11, 4 58 32 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 11, 4 58 41 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 11, 4 58 48 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 11, 4 58 54 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 11, 4 54 13 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 11, 4 54 20 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 11, 4 54 37 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 11, 4 54 42 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 11, 4 54 46 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 11, 4 54 54 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 11, 4 55 38 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 11, 4 55 41 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 11, 4 55 50 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 11, 4 56 06 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 11, 4 57 29 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 11, 4 57 52 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 11, 4 58 12 PM.jpg

• Like 7

On 9/12/2022 at 7:22 PM, satterwhite78 said:

Well that's a treat! Any other "tantalizing tidbits" in the box?

Charles, the tree I had had two front valences and two rear bumpers, so I think you'll get a choice of year.

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I think you'll like the kit. 

Hi Sir!

Nice build, bravo!

A question: I see small light reflection points spaced evenly in the joint between the top of the front bumber and the upper "valence"... Are those created by locating pins that secure the bumber at the proper position at the edge of the front body cavity?

Just curious... 

CT

1 hour ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Beautiful build Art. I'm no expert but the body appears to be a good representation of the real car.

The one thing holding me back is their poorly designed generic chassis/engine that just does not cut it for me.

Salvinos seems to be getting up to speed on accuracy, still room to grow. But HOW did they get that chassis so WRONG. Wrong type suspension on their early releases. Then they issue a fix.....that was WRONG TOO!!! I know many folks that consulted with Monogram on their series offered free help. It was met with 'start your own model company'  I have supported them by buying kits.....but if they were more correct I'd have hundreds like I do with Monogram. 

Just for your info.....The issue with suspension was the early kits offered only leaf springs on kit leaf spring would have been illegal on the real car. The fix was add a trailing arm set up.....but it was 1/32 scale!!!! (see below) Correct set up from a AMT kit, Salvinos on right. The transmission hump on the chassis is way to big, not a biggy but so easy to get right. 

We need Salvinos and I think they are becoming more open to outside help......Monogram used LOTS of outside help aand this made them better. Thanks

rear.JPG

Edited by Dave Van

23 hours ago, Art Laski said:

Charles, the tree I had had two front valences and two rear bumpers, so I think you'll get a choice of year.

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I think you'll like the kit. 

Jim mentioned on Jay Savarese's build that he'll be making an adjustment on the spoiler to move it to a more upright position and reduce the height before it goes to full production.

• 2 weeks later...