Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg F-150 Flareside 4x4

Smoke Wagon

2 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Umm...why does that Lindberg kit have an AMT logo added...perhaps using MS Paint?

Anyway, I like truck kits. I'll be picking one up for sure if it comes to fruition.

Round2 owns both brands, not surprised they would rebrand it as AMT since it's the more well known of the two (and yes I'm aware AMT made a version too).

Hope it's actually true, it's a well detailed kit and comes with the 5-speed/4x4 combo unlike Revell and AMT which have Auto/2WD setups. Question is though if the stock version is the one they would re-release, since the last couple times have been the modified off-road version.

22 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

Round2 owns both brands, not surprised they would rebrand it as AMT since it's the more well known of the two (and yes I'm aware AMT made a version too).

Hope it's actually true, it's a well detailed kit and comes with the 5-speed/4x4 combo unlike Revell and AMT which have Auto/2WD setups. Question is though if the stock version is the one they would re-release, since the last couple times have been the modified off-road version.

I figured it would be something like that. Will assume that Round2 will create some actual new box art for it and not just do what their rendering shows.

I thought AMT's truck was the previous generation. I know Revell did a Supercab flareside. And a regular cab longbox.

I too hope it's the stock version! 

5 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I figured it would be something like that. Will assume that Round2 will create some actual new box art for it and not just do what their rendering shows.

I thought AMT's truck was the previous generation. I know Revell did a Supercab flareside. And a regular cab longbox.

I too hope it's the stock version! 

AMT did a '97 2wd....IIRC it had a  1:1 regular cab longbed on the box in blue... they also did a SnapFast extended cab in red.

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Umm...why does that Lindberg kit have an AMT logo added...perhaps using MS Paint?

Just a placeholder photo on their website. Although I wouldn’t doubt that Round2 would release this kit under the AMT label, they’ve done that with most of the reissued of Lindberg vehicle kits in recent years.

So, I take it most would agree the Lindberg kit of this F150 generation is the best? I don’t have any kits if this gen, so I’m pleased with the re-release, especially if it’s the better of the three. I don’t have a preference of 2 or 4 wheel drive, flareside or longbox, just looking for the best detail, accuracy, and fit. 

Edited by vincen47

3 hours ago, vincen47 said:

So, I take it most would agree the Lindberg kit of this F150 generation is the best? I don’t have any kits if this gen, so I’m pleased with the re-release, especially if it’s the better of the three. I don’t have a preference of 2 or 4 wheel drive, flareside or longbox, just looking for the best detail, accuracy, and fit. 

The Lindberg and Revell kits both are pretty good. From what I’ve heard, the cab of the AMT tooling has a couple problems with it, but it includes the styleside short box and 16” styled steel wheels.

The only thing I can find to nitpick about the Lindberg kit is the lack of weather stripping detail around the side windows, but that’s easily remedied with some sanding and Evergreen.

There was an excellent comparison article/build-up of all three way back in "the other" magazine. Fuzzy memory tells me the Revell got the nod for the best (most accurate appearing) engine, but all three had strengths/weaknesses, but nothing terrible. Mixing and matching could net practically any body style/chassis available. Cool stuff. Incidentally, this is one of the kits that showed up at our Ollie's store a couple years back for $8.99!

My brief kit breakdown for reference (all represent 1997-1998 models, with the exception of the Lightning):

Revell kits:

1999 Lightning - Only Revell kit with the regular cab/flareside combo. Naturally everything else is pretty much Lightning specific (can use grille to make the painted/mesh grille version, but would need to modify to fit 1997/98 bumper, or modify the standard bumper to make a 1999+ model). Supercharged 5.4L V8, 4-speed automatic.
2000 Harley Davidson Edition - Similar to Lightning kit but with the extended cab, stepside box combo.
XLT Standard cab - Regular cab, long box. Shares the chassis with the extended cab kit. XLT 2WD model, has the chrome cross-bar grille which is used on all Standard (gray), XL and 2WD XLT trims. Also has the 17" aluminum wheels (optional on XLT and Lariat, also comes with the off-road package). 5.4L V8, 4-speed automatic.
XLT Ext. cab - Extended cab, flareside box. XLT 2WD model, same grille and wheels as the standard cab kit. 5.4L V8, 4-speed automatic.

AMT kit:

Styleside - shows a long bed on the box, comes with a wideside short bed (still regular cab). XLT 2WD model. Same cross bar grille as the Revell kits, but has the 16" polished aluminum 5-spoke wheels (box shows incorrect steel wheels). 4.6L V8, 4-speed automatic.
Ext cab Snapfast - Extended cab, wideside shortbed box. XLT 4WD model, can make as a Lariat too. Painted mesh grille, and split 3-spoke 16" wheels (standard Lariat, optional XLT).

Lindberg Kit:

Flareside 4x4 - Regular cab, flareside bed. XLT 4WD model, can also represent the Lariat 4WD. Painted mesh grille and 17" aluminum wheels. This body also has the correct wheel arch moldings featured on the 4x4 models, and all Lariat models. 4.6L V8, 5-speed manual, transfer case. The only issue is you will need the decal sheet from the off road version for the correct 4x4 bed decals.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2022 at 8:52 AM, Jordan White said:

XLT Standard cab - Regular cab, long box. Shares the chassis with the extended cab kit. XLT 2WD model, has the chrome cross-bar grille which is used on all Standard (gray), XL and 2WD XLT trims. Also has the 17" aluminum wheels (optional on XLT and Lariat, also comes with the off-road package). 5.4L V8, 4-speed automatic.

Isn't this kit 2wd also? I have one somewhere in the stash. But, never really looked at it since it was a LWB. If it is 2wd, it shouldn't have the Off Road package.

I just bought the AMT kit. I want to convert it to a styleside Lightning. I never liked the flareside box on this generation F-150. Even on the Lightning. 

Edit: All of the Revell F-150s are 2wd. The Extra Cab Flareside and longbed regular cab both have the wrong wheels as they're the 17" alloy wheels that were only available on the 4wd models. Both come with the 4.6 and automatic. 

If you want a 4wd F-150, the Lindberg kit is the only kit that has it. Hard to believe that Revell didn’t make a least one of their versions a 4wd. Especially the Extra Cab Flareside.

Edited by Plowboy

3 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Isn't this kit 2wd also? I have one somewhere in the stash. But, never really looked at it since it was a LWB. If it is 2wd, it shouldn't have the Off Road package.

I just bought the AMT kit. I want to convert it to a styleside Lightning. I never liked the flareside box on this generation F-150. Even on the Lightning. 

Edit: All of the Revell F-150s are 2wd. The Extra Cab Flareside and longbed regular cab both have the wrong wheels as they're the 17" alloy wheels that were only available on the 4wd models. Both come with the 4.6 and automatic. 

Yeah I said they are 2WD. What I did find is the 17" wheels came with the off-road package, as well as on the 2WD STX package ('98 and '99). It's possible they were available on the regular 2WD XLT and Lariat models, but I can't say for sure. Based on the current box art for the ext cab kit, it shows the 5.4 decal on the air intake. Granted they both look similar, so you could really build it as a 4.6 or 5.4.

8 hours ago, Jordan White said:

Yeah I said they are 2WD. What I did find is the 17" wheels came with the off-road package, as well as on the 2WD STX package ('98 and '99). It's possible they were available on the regular 2WD XLT and Lariat models, but I can't say for sure. Based on the current box art for the ext cab kit, it shows the 5.4 decal on the air intake. Granted they both look similar, so you could really build it as a 4.6 or 5.4.

The Supercab Flareside and the regular cab longbed I have both have 4.6L engraved on the air intake. 

Maybe they just updated it then? I wonder if it also has the Triton badges for the front fenders?

Something I noticed on this boxart is that Revell has the kit grille and bumper photo shopped on the full scale pickup.

1950616496_Revell85-7621Tb97F150sle.jpeg.02beb4b516e7027256f0703bea91b5de.jpeg

You can actually see the glue on the lense on the left headlight. 

Now that you mention it, it does really stand out! The truck on the box appears to be a 4x4, and the 4x4 XLT had the body color grille that's in the Lindberg kit, so it makes sense why they changed it. It is weird how they (and AMT/Ertl for that matter) just didn't care enough to find a picture of the real vehicle actually represented in the kit!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 8:55 AM, Jordan White said:

Now that you mention it, it does really stand out! The truck on the box appears to be a 4x4, and the 4x4 XLT had the body color grille that's in the Lindberg kit, so it makes sense why they changed it. It is weird how they (and AMT/Ertl for that matter) just didn't care enough to find a picture of the real vehicle actually represented in the kit!

These F150 kits came out (if I recall correctly) just as the real trucks were introduced.  Finding factory photography of the specific real truck depicted in the kit at the time the box art was being prepared was probably an issue that dictated doing some adaptation. 

I fully agree that the box art should fully depict what is inside, but the logistics in this case probably did not allow that.  At least it wasn't like the original Revell 1934 Ford 3W Coupe Buttera series kit, where they cobbled together a 1/24th Scale Monogram kit and photographed it for all the box art....TB