Model Cars Magazine Forum

GMC Topkick Rollback

I picked up this cab and bed from Mikemodeler a couple of weeks ago. Thanks again! I built a 64 GMC 1 ton to go on the back of this one when it is done. This one will be curb side, but I am mocking up a crude representation of a 3116 Cat for under the hood. It will look like a 3116 from the bottom anyway. I have been working on the bed. I have it mocked up for now.

8F3C98E2-3B09-411B-8087-7BC971587185.jpeg.5dd05ac95e7dd95f9b0b0cf280d2e703.jpeg

• Like 3

It’ll be terrific. A seldom seen model, yet a perfectly common outfit. I imagine the hood isn’t separate and/or it would be a pain to get it to operate? Nonetheless, a good option to do a basic representation of the 3116. Looking forward to watching it come together.

7 hours ago, vincen47 said:

It’ll be terrific. A seldom seen model, yet a perfectly common outfit. I imagine the hood isn’t separate and/or it would be a pain to get it to operate? Nonetheless, a good option to do a basic representation of the 3116. Looking forward to watching it come together.

Thanks Victor! The hood and cab are cast as one piece. The combination of cutting the hood loose, scratch building a firewall, and completely scratch building a 3116 from top to bottom, put me on the curbside path.

2 hours ago, Warren D said:

Looks good so far, interesting subject.  What did you use for the chassis?

Thanks Warren!! I used the 4300 Transtar chassis. I lengthened it and narrowed the front axle. I like these chassis because they are straight and were cheap at Ollies, so I stocked up on some.

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2022 at 7:51 AM, mikemodeler said:

That is looking awesome! You have done more in a month with those parts than I did in 5 years! Love the wood deck,

Thanks Mike!

On 9/23/2022 at 12:15 AM, slusher said:

Looking great' Brain very interesting project!

Thanks Carl!!

I’m just about to the finish line on this one.

DC45C494-D763-4595-A1D1-1B9B59FA8F88.jpeg.0f9825ed70aedb66a6cc70501965907f.jpeg
F4EA75AA-B783-40F1-9D5C-ECF48A288B4F.jpeg.87a272d744c46b1a96503e3470ecf0fd.jpeg

• Like 5

Very nice looking rig. Did you build the under-bed workings (hydraulic cylinders, slides for rollback, etc.)?  If you did can you show us how that was done. Several years ago I built one on a modified 1/32 Mack firetruck body without any of the underpinnings.  I am wanting to take it off, widen and lengthen the bed and make it operational if possible.

Thanks guys!!

On 9/14/2022 at 1:46 PM, Engine 51 said:

Nice! Really like that cab. Wonder if there are any more knocking around??

Thanks Joe! I’m not sure who manufactured this cab, but I believe it to be the nicest one that I have seen. Mike had one from P&P as well, and this one looked much nicer to me.

10 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Very nice looking rig. Did you build the under-bed workings (hydraulic cylinders, slides for rollback, etc.)?  If you did can you show us how that was done. Several years ago I built one on a modified 1/32 Mack firetruck body without any of the underpinnings.  I am wanting to take it off, widen and lengthen the bed and make it operational if possible.

Thanks Rick! I picked up the bed from Mikemodeler. They are available on Ebay from bcs-trading though. The deck and cylinders seem to be styrene. The headache rack, side rails, frame, slide/tilt assembly and wheel lift seem to be made from some type of 3d printing process. I’m not familiar with 3d printing processes, but this almost looks as if it was printed with plastic string. It builds up pretty nice though. The wheel lift didn’t have a cylinder so I made one. Bcs-trading offers a roll off body that I may have to check in to. They also offer a smaller roll back bed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2022 at 7:53 PM, redneckrigger said:

Nicely done, Brian! 

Thanks Tom!!

On 10/6/2022 at 11:11 PM, gatorincebu said:

Brian ,

As I expected you did a mighty fine job on this one !

Be Well

Gator

Thanks Gator!!

On 10/28/2022 at 8:59 PM, Chariots of Fire said:

Looks good, Brian.  Don't forget to chain down that load!  That's a beauty also.  Wouldn't want it to fall off on the way home!!😁

Thanks Charles!! I better get that done in before I have an accident! 

• Like 1