Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Fairlane

dsummone

With the recent paint debacle on the midget I have decided to shelve that one for a bit and am starting this 66 Fairlane. 
I’ve never been a big fan of Ford but the lines on the Fairlane are cool. 
This seems to be a great kit, the engine is very detailed, separate oil filter, fuel pump, coil, oil fill tube, even trans linkage. 
Im not exactly sure where I’ll be going with this yet, stock with steel wheels or aftermarket wheels? Stock exhaust manifolds or do I build headers? I’ll probably end up with my favorite style, 70s street rod… but who knows. 
Dave. 

B182DA35-8A49-4874-9274-4F304ABCEC22.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dsummone said:

With the recent paint debacle on the midget I have decided to shelve that one for a bit and am starting this 66 Fairlane. 
I’ve never been a big fan of Ford but the lines on the Fairlane are cool. 
This seems to be a great kit, the engine is very detailed, separate oil filter, fuel pump, coil, oil fill tube, even trans linkage. 
Im not exactly sure where I’ll be going with this yet, stock with steel wheels or aftermarket wheels? Stock exhaust manifolds or do I build headers? I’ll probably end up with my favorite style, 70s street rod… but who knows. 
Dave. 

B182DA35-8A49-4874-9274-4F304ABCEC22.jpeg

I've had that on the shelf for a while now and like you, good question on what to do with it.  Day 2, stock with Cragers comes to mind in a bright color.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also built this kit when it was first released and enjoyed it. The only fit issue I encountered may have been my own doing.  The wheel backs seem to put the wheels to far toward the outer edge of the wheel well opening. Beyond that it's a very well-done kit. Round 2's reissue is of the more desirable and what used to be hard to find 427 with hood Scoop edition. If you elect to build it as a true factory Drag Car, there are some interesting weight saving things that Ford did. On the outside one thing that they did was to leave off the passenger side windshield wiper. They used a small flat chrome plug to fill the hole.  

• Like 2

Engine is in the chassis and it’s now a roller. Set the body on and I’m going to have to work on the inner fenders a bit, they won’t allow the front of the chassis to fit up in the body quite high enough but this shouldn’t be to big a problem. 
My dilemma is, do I go with the bench seat or the buckets (from a charger) and the center console. 
Comments would be appreciated. 
Dave. 

7A5BA23E-8A41-47C6-A906-C38C1D92849A.jpeg

B809A3B5-7E7A-4FF3-9FAF-EF575EF38958.jpeg

8780BD58-B0A3-4812-BEF3-F421F947BF3F.jpeg

B54299A3-EB8E-46C7-991C-0A526048D416.jpeg

234046CB-23EA-4440-842E-FC4F8E0F63FD.jpeg

D24BA9CB-9CD0-410E-826F-313C57EF4B87.jpeg

020B5EB6-DFC1-4B29-B731-8C531FD2EFCE.jpeg

4226CD6D-B8EB-4835-9125-1383DED3BB4D.jpeg

A8F89F3C-7187-48CA-B1E4-073B51AABB6E.jpeg

The only issue I can see with using the Charger bucket seats is the difference with the seat pattern on the rear seat. Might see if you can find some buckets from a Ford kit that would be a closer match. The firewall might be interfering with the bottom and sides of the windshield area on the body. Your build is looking great.

10 hours ago, espo said:

The only issue I can see with using the Charger bucket seats is the difference with the seat pattern on the rear seat. Might see if you can find some buckets from a Ford kit that would be a closer match. The firewall might be interfering with the bottom and sides of the windshield area on the body. Your build is looking great.

I agree with ya on the pattern. 
I think I’m gonna go with the bench seat. My dad had a 69 Continental when I turned 16 and having a girl slide right up next to you while you were driving was pretty sweet… when he’d let me take the car that is. 

• 2 weeks later...

We’ll work has gotten in the way of progress on the Fairlane but I finally got The paint and clear done. Went with Tamiya Pearl light blue and I’m really happy with the way it turned out. The paint and clear went down so smooth I don’t think I will even try to rub it out, just a coat of polish to protect it I think. 
Thanks for looking, Dave. 

0D53E418-94EB-476A-B613-26CDD785C251.jpeg

529A52C3-A6A3-4132-B78A-7FEBE5491819.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluestringer said:

It's looking great. I like that stance, that's the way we did them back in day, jacked them up. Those Cragar wheels are really nice. I've seen this kit at HL, I need to get one.

Every time I think about building one low I just can’t get past my 60s 70s roots.
It’s a really good kit, I enjoyed this one a lot.