Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paasche H

For some reason my Paasche H has stopped working. It blows only air, will not suction up the paint. It will not even spray water. I have cleaned it over several times, there is no blockage. I have tried different bottles and cups, no go. Hole in bottle top is clear. I can't figure it out. It should spray but it does not. Last time I used it was a couple of weeks ago spraying some Testors enamel, cleaned it good before putting it away. 

One thing I thought of is it's blowing air but is the air flow sufficient ? No leaks or blockages on the air side of things, including the hose and regulator ? Boost your pressure to 35 psi and see if it sucks any fluid up then.

Also be sure your feed line isn't cracked and is sealed tight, good fit etc. Be sure the very tip of the nozzle is clear and clean.

The H is pretty simple. What do you use to clean it out with after you spray enamel? If you've changed cups and it still won't spray it sounds like the nozzle is clogged. I'd suggest seeing if lacquer thinner will drip through it with a (glass) eyedropper, carefully. If it doesn't go through I'd remove it and soak it in lacquer thinner for a while then try again. Once it's soaked for a while run a brush through it, if you have one. If you don't you may want to get some. I use the nylon but there are wire ones. Not too pricey and good to have.

https://spraygunner.com/accessories/cleaning-maintenance/orange-cleaning-brushes-2-pcs-by-no-name-brand/

https://spraygunner.com/grex-mini-cleaning-brush-set/

Edited by DPNM

I have used a Paasche H for many years now. What  DPNM said was probably true.  I use Savograms Paint Brush and Roller cleaner callede Quikeze in the blue can. Most hardware store carry it. . It will cut through anything, even dried acrylic. Get yourself some Q-tips that fit in the end of the airbrush and some pipe cleaners.  Dip them in in the Quikeze and clean out the paint. I once had an airbubble that solidified in the paint tube of the airbrush.  It looked clean because it was clear. It was maddening. You don't have to break down the H everytime. Just jam some of this cleaner through with the q-tips and the pipe cleaner then spray about 1/3 of a cupful of Quikeze through it to clean the nozzle.  Be careful you don't get a snootful of this stuff, it smells bad and hurts too. Make sure you spray it well away from yourself. I shoot it right down the vent tube of my spray booth. Hope this helps.

James, I use the Paasche H and have never had an issue with it.  I always use Acrylic paints most of the time but I always clean my air brush with lacquer thinner and not soap & water.  Like Dave G. & Kurth mentioned, try a different needle and soak the one that isn't spraying in lacquer thinner and clean it really good. 

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. But this has really got me baffled. I have cleaned it several times, there is no blockage. Air pressure is fine, turned it up to 50psi, no go.  I use generic lacquer thinner to clean it after I spray enamel, nothing works. So I got a new needle, cap, bottle, cup. It still will not spray. Air comes out fine, plenty of pressure.  It does now spray a tiny bit, but it would take all day to cover a body with it. It's not my compressor setup because it works fine with my old Harbor Freight setup. So I bought a new Iwata Neo from Hobby Lobby, it works great. 

Edited by bluestringer

11 hours ago, bluestringer said:

So I bought a new Iwata Neo from Hobby Lobby, it works great. 

That's nice but it doesn't solve the issue you are having with the H. Can you post a pic of the H? From the nozzle back just past the trigger would be good. 

I'm curious about this as others are.  Since youv'e got another airbrush now, take the Paasche H totally apart and let it set in lacquer thinner for a few day and see what happens.  These are very simple airbrushes and it's got me stumped as well.  

On 9/20/2022 at 8:43 PM, DPNM said:

That's nice but it doesn't solve the issue you are having with the H. Can you post a pic of the H? From the nozzle back just past the trigger would be good. 

I just got tired of messing with it. Cleaned it about 15 or 20 times, checking over and over again and can't find anything wrong with it. It shoots air fine, but it's not suctioning the paint. I've checked all over looking for a crack or something but can't find anything.  I wish I could get it working because the Iwata is nice for small parts but the H does a better job with large parts like bodies, frames, etc. 

DSCN0165.JPG

On 9/21/2022 at 3:53 AM, kurth said:

Another needle did not work? 

Is the O ring between the head and the body of the airbrush intact? There is not much that can go wrong with the H and now I just want to know what happened. 😃

It's never had an o-ring that I know of. I've never taken the body off. 

Have you taken the tip/needle nozzle assembly off and unscrewed the nozzle from the needle and checked all those passages.You keep talking about the body and bottles but I've heard no mention of this thus far. IE take the needle assembly off the body, you have to loosen the set screw on the bottom to get it out. The body is fine, no paint goes through the body and you're getting air. It's a simple device it's got to be a very simple answer as well. 9 out of 10 times these issues come down to cleaning.

2 hours ago, Dave G. said:

Have you taken the tip/needle nozzle assembly off and unscrewed the nozzle from the needle and checked all those passages.You keep talking about the body and bottles but I've heard no mention of this thus far. IE take the needle assembly off the body, you have to loosen the set screw on the bottom to get it out. The body is fine, no paint goes through the body and you're getting air. It's a simple device it's got to be a very simple answer as well. 9 out of 10 times these issues come down to cleaning.

Yes, as I've said I have cleaned it several times. When I clean it I take it completely apart. I shined a light into all the passages, all is clear. I have taken the packing out and checked it, looks good. I have ran cleaning brushes in all the passages. Yes, it is a simple device that is what's got me baffled, I see nothing that would stop it from working. The only thing I can think of is a crack causing it not to be able to suction. But I can not see any cracks. I have also cleaned the bottles and passages in them several times, all clear. I like the H and would like to get it working, if I can't I will probably just get a new unit. 

James...I notice in the picture you have the tip all the way open. It won't spray that far up in the airstream.  It only takes a few turns from closed to spray.  Are you using the correct tip with the correct needle.  The medium (or H) tip and nozzle are the ones I use the most. Also the heavy for thicker paints. The fine tip is the worst as it clogs almost instantly so  I never use it. Soaking parts will not clean any residue off by the way. I t will loosen any dried paint but to get the residue off you have to physically clean it with something. 

1 hour ago, bluestringer said:

Yes, as I've said I have cleaned it several times. When I clean it I take it completely apart. I shined a light into all the passages, all is clear. I have taken the packing out and checked it, looks good. I have ran cleaning brushes in all the passages. Yes, it is a simple device that is what's got me baffled, I see nothing that would stop it from working. The only thing I can think of is a crack causing it not to be able to suction. But I can not see any cracks. I have also cleaned the bottles and passages in them several times, all clear. I like the H and would like to get it working, if I can't I will probably just get a new unit. 

I'd change out the whole tip assembly and maybe put on the metal side cup ( which is what I use 90% of the time anyway) and try again. Sort the other parts from there if it sprays this way..

2 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

James...I notice in the picture you have the tip all the way open. It won't spray that far up in the airstream.  It only takes a few turns from closed to spray.  Are you using the correct tip with the correct needle.  The medium (or H) tip and nozzle are the ones I use the most. Also the heavy for thicker paints. The fine tip is the worst as it clogs almost instantly so  I never use it. Soaking parts will not clean any residue off by the way. I t will loosen any dried paint but to get the residue off you have to physically clean it with something. 

I have tried it from closed to fully open, no difference. 

44 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

I'd change out the whole tip assembly and maybe put on the metal side cup ( which is what I use 90% of the time anyway) and try again. Sort the other parts from there if it sprays this way..

I got a brand new needle and cap assembly when it first started acting up, made no difference. I also got a new cup and bottle. With the new cup it will spray just a little, but not enough to cover a body without taking a long time, and I have to hold it about a 1/2 inch from the surface. 

James.  Makesure your paint is not to thick.  I found this online.  Maybe it will help 

AIRBRUSH DOESN’T SPRAY PAINT

This can be caused by many things; the most common are a blocked nozzle (due to poor cleaning), a loose needle chucking nut, improper/low air pressure and the paint being too thick

• Blocked Nozzle – Clean or soak the nozzle
  • Needle not Moving with Trigger Action – Check and tighten the needle chucking/locking nut.
  • Paint Too Thick – Thin paint with appropriate reducer to a milky consistency
  • Pressure Too Low – Sometimes the paint can be slightly too thick and the pressure is too low to atomize. Increase pressure.

18 minutes ago, Zippi said:

James.  Makesure your paint is not to thick.  I found this online.  Maybe it will help 

AIRBRUSH DOESN’T SPRAY PAINT

This can be caused by many things; the most common are a blocked nozzle (due to poor cleaning), a loose needle chucking nut, improper/low air pressure and the paint being too thick

• Blocked Nozzle – Clean or soak the nozzle
  • Needle not Moving with Trigger Action – Check and tighten the needle chucking/locking nut.
  • Paint Too Thick – Thin paint with appropriate reducer to a milky consistency
  • Pressure Too Low – Sometimes the paint can be slightly too thick and the pressure is too low to atomize. Increase pressure.

Thanks Bob. All that has been checked and double checked. I have found on other person on finescale.com that had this very same problem, but there was never a solution found. I'm going to order a new bottle to try. It's a mystery for sure.