Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paasche H

17 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

Thanks Bob. All that has been checked and double checked. I have found on other person on finescale.com that had this very same problem, but there was never a solution found. I'm going to order a new bottle to try. It's a mystery for sure. 

I would give a Paasche H distributor a call or give a call to the place you bought it from.  Could help.

Looking  at the pic you provided I would suggest trying this. Loosen the set screw and lower the whole assembly a little. Try to get equal amounts on each side. You may have the assembly inserted too far up. If it sprays after that you can fine tune it's position.

1 hour ago, bluestringer said:

Thanks Bob. All that has been checked and double checked. I have found on other person on finescale.com that had this very same problem, but there was never a solution found. I'm going to order a new bottle to try. It's a mystery 

I see the 3 rings around the cone.  Any chance you have a bigger needle inside that 3.0mm cone?  Just checking all Avenues.

It's true that by the photo the needle tip is way too far up in the air stream. I just assumed though that different positions are known and tried. He doesn't seem new to the H or inexperienced. Still, something is causing this and I still contend that it must be simple.

As to paint viscosity ( referring to Bobs post), the fact that it wouldn't even spray water was brought out early on in the thread. Finally though, It would be great to hear this has been and how it was resolved I must say.

The Paasche H is a simple single action airbrush and has now got me scratching my head James.  I do remember when I first got my Paasche H I was using the bottles and the paint would stop coming out due to the small hole on top of the bottle continually clogging up.  I use the metal cup now and have not had a problem.  

When I think back on my own H screwing up and not spraying, it was too low a pressure for viscosity of paint each time of which that's been maybe twice in ten years..  I think twice I did that spraying artist paints, had to thin more then boost the pressure a bit. I mean that's all there is to this device, air pressure, fluid viscosity, no blockages. It should spray.

There is also the factor of nozzle position. For max flow there is a point of diminishing return or honey zone if you prefer. If the nozzle is screwed too far out you actually lose paint flow rather than gain.. There is a defined range there of good flow equal to about three full turns of the nozzle and that's about it.

2 hours ago, DPNM said:

Looking  at the pic you provided I would suggest trying this. Loosen the set screw and lower the whole assembly a little. Try to get equal amounts on each side. You may have the assembly inserted too far up. If it sprays after that you can fine tune it's position.

Thanks Jim. I will give that a try tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

The Paasche H is a simple single action airbrush and has now got me scratching my head James.  I do remember when I first got my Paasche H I was using the bottles and the paint would stop coming out due to the small hole on top of the bottle continually clogging up.  I use the metal cup now and have not had a problem.  

I thought that was the problem to begin with, thought the top had slipped and covered the hole, but it stays clear. 

1 hour ago, Dave G. said:

When I think back on my own H screwing up and not spraying, it was too low a pressure for viscosity of paint each time of which that's been maybe twice in ten years..  I think twice I did that spraying artist paints, had to thin more then boost the pressure a bit. I mean that's all there is to this device, air pressure, fluid viscosity, no blockages. It should spray.

There is also the factor of nozzle position. For max flow there is a point of diminishing return or honey zone if you prefer. If the nozzle is screwed too far out you actually lose paint flow rather than gain.. There is a defined range there of good flow equal to about three full turns of the nozzle and that's about it.

When I first started using it I had problems getting the paint right, I either had it too thick or too thin, but finally got it figured out and have been spraying fine with it. It act as if there is a leak somewhere keeping it from creating a suction. I wonder if the inside of the body can be removed? 

I will have some time tomorrow to do a good investigation into this. When I got the new Iwata the other day I hooked it up and sprayed some small items with and it worked fine, but I have not really used it for full on spraying of a body. I will try it tomorrow to get an idea if maybe the problem is not in the H but maybe my setup. I just can't see where the problem is with the H, it should spray. Maybe I have a air leak in my system somewhere and I'm not getting enough pressure to the brush, although I turned it up to 50psi and it blows out the nozzle well, if there is a small leak it may be causing it not to suction properly. I'll get this figured out. 

7 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

I wonder if the inside of the body can be removed? 

I've never seen one split in half but I doubt you would find anything besides an air passage. Being single action it's a simple device. You can replicate it with a blow gun and a straw in a cup of water. The air passing over the nozzle tip creates suction. That is why the hole in the jar lid is needed. With the metal cup it doesn't matter as the top of the cup is open.

If you are getting air your issue is the needle and nozzle.

3 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

I will have some time tomorrow to do a good investigation into this. When I got the new Iwata the other day I hooked it up and sprayed some small items with and it worked fine, but I have not really used it for full on spraying of a body. I will try it tomorrow to get an idea if maybe the problem is not in the H but maybe my setup. I just can't see where the problem is with the H, it should spray. Maybe I have a air leak in my system somewhere and I'm not getting enough pressure to the brush, although I turned it up to 50psi and it blows out the nozzle well, if there is a small leak it may be causing it not to suction properly. I'll get this figured out. 

I hope you get it figured out Buddy.  Let us know what you find out tomorrow.  

9 hours ago, bluestringer said:

When I first started using it I had problems getting the paint right, I either had it too thick or too thin, but finally got it figured out and have been spraying fine with it. It act as if there is a leak somewhere keeping it from creating a suction. I wonder if the inside of the body can be removed? 

The body is just air and air alone, no fluid ever goes through it. I mentioned system loss of pressure in an earlier post actually. Look to see how much drop you have in pressure flowing vs static. It could be dropping below an acceptable level to pick up paint. Your air valve could be flammed up and not letting enough pressure by out to the tip but this really a stretch of imagination. One thing about the H is it likes it's air for sure, especially with the larger needles.

You've tried a couple of bottles and cups, I think we can rule out the paint holding device and delivery tube. So we are down to the nozzle assembly for fluid or air system for proper air flow. Other than that get the nozzle tip down into the main air stream, from the photo you supplied it's too high, too far out into the stream. You want that tip to be about center column of air or even a tad low from center for good suction. Right now your air is crashing into the side of the nozzle vs running over the tip where it creates the most draw.

Ok, the verdict is in, and at the end everyone is going to have a good laugh. I spent most of the morning working on getting it to spray. I started out with cleaning all the passages again, the needle and the cap. I then took a pipette and cut it off so the end would fit tight into the needle where the cup fits in. I filled the pipette with water stuck it in and activated the bulb, water shot out in a nice stream about 3 feet. Ok, I know the passages are clear. I then started checking the air system, looking for leaks everywhere, could not find any. Then I turned the pressure up to 43psi, pushed the trigger on the H and held it, the pressure dropped to 40 and stayed steady. When I released the trigger the pressure went back to 43. Ok, air is good. I then set the needle as Jim suggested, not pushing it all the way in and leaving a small equal amount on each end. I then set the cap as David suggested, just a little past closed. Put the cup on and filled with water, pushed the trigger, I got a little spray but mostly just air. I then filled a bottle and put it on, pushed the trigger, nothing but air. By now I'm pretty well frustrated and angry. I snatch off the bottle, grab the cup again and I jam it it the hole with probably a little too much force and I'm talking to the thing yelling you are supposed to spray you so and so. Fill the cup, push the trigger and it's spraying like a champ. Ok, so now I know what's wrong, and I hate to admit it but I will, idiot error, user caused, I was not pushing the cup and bottle in tight enough to get a good seal, causing the air to not be able to suction properly. Apparently the tubes on the bottle and cup have gotten a little loose over time and now need a little more force to get a good tight seal. I appreciate all the help and suggestions from everyone. 

But that's good news though ! I usually give mine a little twist once I push them in. Push and twist,not forced but firm. I've also used a little light film of bees wax on the pipe in the past, more so it won't get stuck on there but it also helps seal the connection.. This had been more on my Badger 200 but the same would work for the Paasche. I've used bees wax on the threads of the needle too.

For the longest time I used my H with the nozzle set a little back from seated and locked the set screw down there but lately I push it all the way in. I've found it's more how many turns out from seated to spray at than anything. As I mentioned there is a honey zone for this and screwed all the way out isn't in the equation any more than all the way seated is..

Anyway, glad to hear it's working !