Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sealer over Molotow and Alclad


Recommended Posts

I know there was a thread about sealers over Molotow and Alclad chrome but searching didn't come up with anything.

Yesterday I airbrushed resin bumpers...first time spraying a larger area.  

I just know when I handle the bumpers to install them there is a great possibility I will smudge them or worse.

What cha got Guys'  ??

Thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, yh70 said:

for Molotow Chrome, you can find it on eBay..dont know if u can use it on Alclad ..P90721-090132.jpg

Evidently this product is not available in the U.S.      The Ebay sellers are in Tiawan, supposed deliver in 2 months.

 

16 hours ago, Michael jones said:

Tamiya enamel clear also works very well surprisingly very similar results to S-02 chrome sealer.

Have you actually used it on Molotow or Alclad  Michael?

20 hours ago, stitchdup said:

x2 on the s-02 or theres also gauzy shine enhancer

Thanks Les, the Gauzy is interesting. Wonder if anyone has used it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Evidently this product is not available in the U.S.      The Ebay sellers are in Tiawan, supposed deliver in 2 months.

 

Have you actually used it on Molotow or Alclad  Michael?

Thanks Les, the Gauzy is interesting. Wonder if anyone has used it.

 

I've used both and they did the job. The gauzy can be overpainted with other paints after it has dried. I haven't tried it with the s-02 but it works on the molotowe. With both of these the molotowe needs to sit for week before overcoating as it will marr the chrome

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, stitchdup said:

I've used both and they did the job. The gauzy can be overpainted with other paints after it has dried. I haven't tried it with the s-02 but it works on the molotowe. With both of these the molotowe needs to sit for week before overcoating as it will marr the chrome

Thanks Les.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Evidently this product is not available in the U.S.      The Ebay sellers are in Tiawan, supposed deliver in 2 months.

 

Have you actually used it on Molotow or Alclad  Michael?

Thanks Les, the Gauzy is interesting. Wonder if anyone has used it.

 

Gidday, I wouldn't comment if I hadn't used it(on molotow). I believe I even posted results about the S-02 over molotow a couple of years ago on this forum (the picture posted above is my hand even!) The tamiya enamel is equally as good(maybe even slightly better), but may be hard for you to find as you are from the USA....

 

Another alternative I heard works is testors enamel clear. I guess it is very similar to tamiya enamel so might have a very similar result. - Not tried by me however, but just a thought as you probably have some or can get some easily.

Edited by Michael jones
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Michael jones said:

Gidday, I wouldn't comment if I hadn't used it(on molotow). I believe I even posted results about the S-02 over molotow a couple of years ago on this forum. The tamiya enamel is equally as good(maybe even slightly better), but may be hard for you to find as you are from the USA....

 

Another alternative I heard works is testors enamel clear. I guess it is very similar to tamiya enamel so might have a very similar result. - Not tried by me however, but just a thought as you probably have some or can get some easily.

Thanks again Michael.  Are you talking about the X-22 Acrylic Tamiya?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Repeating myself.

After painting any part with Molotov Chrome, it goes into my dehydrator for about 8 hours. Before I handle any part sprayed with Molotov, I wash my hands. My dehydrator dries out Testators Gloss Black enamel in 10 hours or so.

IMG_1866.thumb.JPG.cd995ca385723a34f06b087fc5513555.JPG

 

Good luck

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well not enough opinions to form a real opinion here.  Seems the Tamiya X-22 may be the way to go since what seems to give the best result is the S-02 and getting it from Tiawan in 2 months is not an option for me. Reviews I read for the Alclad Aqua Shine not too promising.  The Gauzy shine may be an option but reviews on it also a bit iffy.

Hmmmm

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Well not enough opinions to form a real opinion here.  Seems the Tamiya X-22 may be the way to go since what seems to give the best result is the S-02 and getting it from Tiawan in 2 months is not an option for me. Reviews I read for the Alclad Aqua Shine not too promising.  The Gauzy shine may be an option but reviews on it also a bit iffy.

Hmmmm

 

if you order the s-02 from amazon its much faster delivery

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Michael jones said:

The very end of the video gives a great comparison. If you test on a scrap piece, I think you may find tamiya/humbrol/testors enamels will give similar results.

humbrol dont do clear enamel, its a celulose paint for all of their clear colours.   It wont do the job on molotowe as it just turns it primer grey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Michael jones said:

The very end of the video gives a great comparison. If you test on a scrap piece, I think you may find tamiya/humbrol/testors enamels will give similar results.

Pretty sure I'm gonna go with the Tamiya X-22.  But of course I still have to order online. Sure wish HL would carry the Tamiya paints.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/17/2022 at 2:32 PM, TransAmMike said:

Well not enough opinions to form a real opinion here.  Seems the Tamiya X-22 may be the way to go since what seems to give the best result is the S-02 and getting it from Tiawan in 2 months is not an option for me. Reviews I read for the Alclad Aqua Shine not too promising.  The Gauzy shine may be an option but reviews on it also a bit iffy.

Hmmmm

 

took less than 30 days when i ordered mine..

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...