Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sealer over Molotow and Alclad

I know there was a thread about sealers over Molotow and Alclad chrome but searching didn't come up with anything.

Yesterday I airbrushed resin bumpers...first time spraying a larger area.  

I just know when I handle the bumpers to install them there is a great possibility I will smudge them or worse.

What cha got Guys'  ??

Thanks in advance.

20 hours ago, yh70 said:

for Molotow Chrome, you can find it on eBay..dont know if u can use it on Alclad ..P90721-090132.jpg

Evidently this product is not available in the U.S.      The Ebay sellers are in Tiawan, supposed deliver in 2 months.

16 hours ago, Michael jones said:

Tamiya enamel clear also works very well surprisingly very similar results to S-02 chrome sealer.

Have you actually used it on Molotow or Alclad  Michael?

20 hours ago, stitchdup said:

x2 on the s-02 or theres also gauzy shine enhancer

Thanks Les, the Gauzy is interesting. Wonder if anyone has used it.

3 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Evidently this product is not available in the U.S.      The Ebay sellers are in Tiawan, supposed deliver in 2 months.

I've used both and they did the job. The gauzy can be overpainted with other paints after it has dried. I haven't tried it with the s-02 but it works on the molotowe. With both of these the molotowe needs to sit for week before overcoating as it will marr the chrome

1 minute ago, stitchdup said:

I've used both and they did the job. The gauzy can be overpainted with other paints after it has dried. I haven't tried it with the s-02 but it works on the molotowe. With both of these the molotowe needs to sit for week before overcoating as it will marr the chrome

Thanks Les.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Gidday, I wouldn't comment if I hadn't used it(on molotow). I believe I even posted results about the S-02 over molotow a couple of years ago on this forum (the picture posted above is my hand even!) The tamiya enamel is equally as good(maybe even slightly better), but may be hard for you to find as you are from the USA....

Another alternative I heard works is testors enamel clear. I guess it is very similar to tamiya enamel so might have a very similar result. - Not tried by me however, but just a thought as you probably have some or can get some easily.

Edited by Michael jones
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Michael jones said:

Gidday, I wouldn't comment if I hadn't used it(on molotow). I believe I even posted results about the S-02 over molotow a couple of years ago on this forum. The tamiya enamel is equally as good(maybe even slightly better), but may be hard for you to find as you are from the USA....

Another alternative I heard works is testors enamel clear. I guess it is very similar to tamiya enamel so might have a very similar result. - Not tried by me however, but just a thought as you probably have some or can get some easily.

Thanks again Michael.  Are you talking about the X-22 Acrylic Tamiya?

Well not enough opinions to form a real opinion here.  Seems the Tamiya X-22 may be the way to go since what seems to give the best result is the S-02 and getting it from Tiawan in 2 months is not an option for me. Reviews I read for the Alclad Aqua Shine not too promising.  The Gauzy shine may be an option but reviews on it also a bit iffy.

Hmmmm

50 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Well not enough opinions to form a real opinion here.  Seems the Tamiya X-22 may be the way to go since what seems to give the best result is the S-02 and getting it from Tiawan in 2 months is not an option for me. Reviews I read for the Alclad Aqua Shine not too promising.  The Gauzy shine may be an option but reviews on it also a bit iffy.

Hmmmm

if you order the s-02 from amazon its much faster delivery

2 minutes ago, Michael jones said:

The very end of the video gives a great comparison. If you test on a scrap piece, I think you may find tamiya/humbrol/testors enamels will give similar results.

humbrol dont do clear enamel, its a celulose paint for all of their clear colours.   It wont do the job on molotowe as it just turns it primer grey

2 minutes ago, Michael jones said:

The very end of the video gives a great comparison. If you test on a scrap piece, I think you may find tamiya/humbrol/testors enamels will give similar results.

Pretty sure I'm gonna go with the Tamiya X-22.  But of course I still have to order online. Sure wish HL would carry the Tamiya paints.

On 9/17/2022 at 2:32 PM, TransAmMike said:

Hmmmm

took less than 30 days when i ordered mine..

• Like 1