Model Cars Magazine Forum

Defect in clear parts

On the Tamiya porsche 1/12 935. There are lines in the clear parts that I'm not sure what to do with. On the windshield and back glass there are lines going from top to bottom right in the middle. I thought they were scratches but I  sanded and polished them and they're better but still slightly visible. The side glass' have these weird curvy lines. I  have a backup kit for extra parts just in case and the clear parts have the same lines.

20220918_133059.jpg

20220918_133048.jpg

3 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

That looks like swirls in the plastic from the injection molding process. I don't think I've ever seen that on clear parts before. 

That’s exactly what it is. It’s a result of the plastic flowing through the mold from different directions from different injectors. The plastic from one injector is colder than the other and setting up before it meets the plastic from the other injector resulting in a parting line throughout the part that unfortunately will not buff out. Bummer!

On 9/18/2022 at 11:24 PM, Rick L said:

That’s exactly what it is. It’s a result of the plastic flowing through the mold from different directions from different injectors. The plastic from one injector is colder than the other and setting up before it meets the plastic from the other injector resulting in a parting line throughout the part that unfortunately will not buff out. Bummer!

To add a bit: that's why the best clear parts are molded form just a single injection point per part. That of course avoids the weld lines. Take a close look at different clear part sprues / runners to see what I mean.

Rob