Model Cars Magazine Forum

What were the first models you can remember building?

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Slightly related: I can't be the only one who got in trouble for using the "good" steak knives to cut parts off the sprues.  Fortunately, not long after, one of my Christmas gifts was my first X-Acto set.  😁 

Hmmm.

Didn’t everybody just break the parts off of the trees?

I still use that “technique” today, depending on the part. 😁

Steve

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Hmmm.

Didn’t everybody just break the parts off of the trees?

I still use that “technique” today, depending on the part. 😁

Steve

Almost exclusively when I was a kid. I was using regular smaller wire cutters for many years now until I just bought an actual sprue cutting tool on Monday. I'm a little more careful these days.

Around 1959, my uncle gave me 5 WW2 fighters for Christmas. I have no idea what scale they were. there was a Spitfire, a Zero, a Messerschmitt, a Mustang and another one which eludes me. Those were the very first. Later I got a 1939/40 Ford kit which I painted red with black fenders as one of my mom's brothers had a 48 Chevrolet red with black fenders.

12 hours ago, Monty said:

Slightly related: I can't be the only one who got in trouble for using the "good" steak knives to cut parts off the sprues.  Fortunately, not long after, one of my Christmas gifts was my first X-Acto set.  😁 

I had a pocket knife as a model tool but usually twisted the parts off the sprue trees.

19 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Does anybody else remember that weird sweet smell that you used to get when you opened a new molded in color Monogram kit back in the late 70s / early 80s?

YES ! Smells are something that can evoke memories more than other sensory impressions.

Edited by Ulf
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2022 at 10:17 AM, iamsuperdan said:

My first kit.

When I was really young, like probably 5 or 6, I had a hospital stay. My parents brought in a kit. I'm pretty sure it was the Lindberg Buick. I remember the swooping body line on the front fenders. I vaguely being into Kojak, and I think he had a Buick. I don't even know if that kit made it out of the hospital with me. 

lindberg-buick-century-32-scale-model_1_7e2d7f5cc8a82cddf6c12655208cccb8.jpg

I can't remember what my first real build was, but I remember some of the early ones.

1167416-26866-92-pristine.jpg

Revell-H-1383-2.jpg

And I remember my first truck kit being one of the Monogram 1:32 Peterbilt trucks. I build a a few of those old snappers.

32-model-truck-kit-vintage-monogram_1_fa7f3143a6d55c55ac38dcb3b012ed32.jpg

As for kits I built and still have?

Monogram 1:24 Superbird. I built two, still have the pieces. One is being rebuilt.

Italeri Mercedes truck. It's a wreck, but I think it's complete. Will do a rebuild eventually.

Wow, we were building almost the same things!

I fondly remember my yellow Lindberg Grand Prix (same series as the Century). Also made a serious mess out of that Midnight Cowboy. Had a full convoy of the 1/32nd scale Monogram Big Rigs too. Been looking to replace many of these, but auction prices on those rigs are nuts. Remember when you couldn't give those away.

Speaking of mess, I still have my first glue kit, this UNO Buick is it. Somehow it's still around after surviving an Autoworld Auto Cutter and I vaguely remember it making through a firecracker blast...

FirstUNOBuick_1500.jpg

3 hours ago, TimKustom said:

Speaking of mess, I still have my first glue kit, this UNO Buick is it. Somehow it's still around after surviving an Autoworld Auto Cutter and I vaguely remember it making through a firecracker blast...

It's the roll cage, those NASCARs were tough. Remember King Petty's crash?

Something funny about a Winston cup racer, cut up for opening doors. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Does anybody else remember that weird sweet smell that you used to get when you opened a new molded in color Monogram kit back in the late 70s / early 80s?

I used to love that smell! 

Now, the more mildew I smell, the happier I am! 😁

Steve

I absolutely remember that smell, every manufacturer had their own unique scent!

I'd like it bottled up and sold like cologne. "Eau de la styrene"

I'd even enjoy it as a car air freshener. Imagine getting in and inhaling that "new car kit" smell!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I absolutely remember that smell, every manufacturer had their own unique scent!

I'd even enjoy it as a car air freshener. Imagine getting in and inhaling that "new car kit" smell!

:D

Steve

On 9/20/2022 at 5:57 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Kits like these.

8233C661-3D06-4136-B88D-EDA4A6F8FD62.jpeg.973f3d84727587f8cdc4b75f687c20ff.jpegB6BA1771-4EF3-4F05-8529-587DA8DF59F4.jpeg.6af712a4f48d2acea281f0cccbfc1069.jpeg

I used to love that smell! 

Now, the more mildew I smell, the happier I am! 😁

Steve

I get the same way with the new Airfix aircraft kits I build from time to time. Like the old Monogram kits, the Airfix stuff just has it's own unique smell. After 30+ yrs of doing paint & body work, I'm just glad I can smell anything!

Folks got me a 64 Galaxie Craftsman and a 49 Ford when I had my tonsils out c.1967. I handled the Galaxie OK, and Dad helped with the 49. Or I helped Dad, IDK. I built miscellaneous small scale planes and ships, and some small scale cars. First 1/25 glue kit I did by myself was the MPC Mr. Norm Charger funny car. Dad helped with the paint because Mom was SURE I was going to spray paint my face instead of the car.

Man, first model I remember building with Dad, a 65 Riviera.  And I remember the headache and weird feeling after working on it with the glue and paint too!   Then I asked Dad if we could get a model of a 67 Sportwagon, but we only found a 66 Skylark GS and built that the next week.

I started building in 1959 at age 8. I think the Johan 59 Dodge and Oldsmobile were my first. I still have a few of my original builds and they have never been altered in any way. Here are 3 of them.

The 62 Fairlane was purchased on our summer family trip home from  Tennessee and I built it when we got home to Ma.  I painted it with AMT lacquer spray and also used the same  can to spray the 62 Chevy pickup my brother got on that trip. He was older but I was better at painting so he wanted me to do it.

The 60 Lincoln and 62 Rambler are a couple more of my original builds. As you can see, I wasn't painting the chrome trim in 1960.

-Rich

DSC02355.JPG

DSC02357.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I still enjoy opening an old kit  from my stash and just looking at it. The smell of the plastic is still there and yes, different manufacturers had different smells, just like real cars. It really brings back great memories.  -Rich

2 hours ago, rsmodels said:

I started building in 1959 at age 8. I think the Johan 59 Dodge and Oldsmobile were my first. I still have a few of my original builds and they have never been altered in any way. Here are 3 of them.

The 62 Fairlane was purchased on our summer family trip home from  Tennessee and I built it when we got home to Ma.  I painted it with AMT lacquer spray and also used the same  can to spray the 62 Chevy pickup my brother got on that trip. He was older but I was better at painting so he wanted me to do it.

The 60 Lincoln and 62 Rambler are a couple more of my original builds. As you can see, I wasn't painting the chrome trim in 1960.

-Rich

DSC02355.JPG

DSC02357.JPG

How cool that at age 8 and after, you had the foresight to take care of all those builds. You have a visual history of how you've progressed. 

I have a bunch of my old builds, but not all of them and many of them are broken. I should do basic repairs and post them on this site.

Is there a thread related to showing our old builds?

• Like 1

I have fond memories of building a 70 Chevelle. It was molded in dark blue. I also remember the distinct smell of burning plastic and for some reason whenever I hear U2 Sunday Bloody Sunday on the radio, I think back to those days at my desk with that kit. It's strange how sights, smells and sounds can take you back to another time in your history.

For myself and a good friend,we used to always build old monster trucks on his kitchen table.We had newspapers down,and glue,and some small bottles of paint.We often never painted the body,but we would try and paint the small details,the shocks,the engine,the interior.And of course we always tried to put the decals on,but most of the time,we use to mess them up.

05A45358-E926-4583-BD3F-A1DAD24C8BA2.webp

B98D03F5-F9CB-4C93-83FC-65550673B529.webp

8B4D870C-3AD7-42D7-8CFA-BE46BF045076.jpeg

Edited by NYLIBUD

12 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

How cool that at age 8 and after, you had the foresight to take care of all those builds. You have a visual history of how you've progressed. 

I have a bunch of my old builds, but not all of them and many of them are broken. I should do basic repairs and post them on this site.

Is there a thread related to showing our old builds?

Interesting question! Why don't you start one? I've got at least a dozen of my old builds from the '60s still wearing their original paint. Would be glad to post some of 'em up. B)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

For myself and a good friend,we used to always build old monster trucks on his kitchen table.We had newspapers down,and glue,and some small bottles of paint.We often never painted the body,but we would try and paint the small details,the shocks,the engine,the interior.And of course we always tried to put the decals on,but most of the time,we used mess them up.

B98D03F5-F9CB-4C93-83FC-65550673B529.webp

Bigfoot was always my favorite. 

Ever since it made a cameo in a long forgotten movie "Take this job and shove it!" and "Cannonball Run 2".

Edited by Oldcarfan27