Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1:24 1966 Mustang "Mustero"

John06

Hey y’all I’m still somewhat new to the model car scene and this is my first custom, it’s the revel 1966 mustang GT350H kit and I’m turning it into a mad max truck of sorts to be used as a body for my scx24 rc crawler, the pictures are outdated but I’ll post updated pictures once I’m home from school. I’m looking for tips on how to make this look better. Also, keep in mind throughout this build I’m 16 and I have to be resourceful with my supplies and tools. For example for roll cages and roll bars I used Q-tips that I’ll be painting black, the paint is also some crappy rustoleum that didn’t cure right, I used it when this was originally gonna be a clean build 

image_67162369.JPG

image_67236353.JPG

as you can see im attempting to turn the fastback portion to a truck bed, the picture here is just the rough cut to get as much material as possible that i don't need out to make sanding and smoothing easier. im probably going to be using the bed floor from this other old ford model i have. 

7 hours ago, dwc43 said:

If you have a hobby knife, you can turn it around backwards and use it to follow the truck lid lines or door lines when you want to cut something out. Takes a while, but it will be cleaner. 

X-ACTO Gripster Knife, Black (X3627)

I ended up using a Dremel to cut out the rest and smooth everything out, I’ll post in about 2-2.5 hours

Edited by John06
  • Like 1

Hey guys im finally back! before i want to start ill just say sorry for the radio silence and thank you all so much for the support, this project has already gotten way more support than i thought it ever would! Ive made a ton of progress since the last updates, I got my hands on a dremel, hobby knife, that instantly drying glue spray stuff (that I may or may not have burned myself with like 20,000 times lol), and even some body filler stuff to smooth out custom panels! 

So far the hardest part of this build was getting that engine mounted straight since its way to big for the original motor mounts, but i got it close enough, I also had to cut out parts of the hood which I personally think unlocks a whole new world of badassness 

image_67183873.JPG

Heres the chopped interior ive got so far, I also added a little lego guy driver because it looks funny. I now also have access to a 3d printer from my school so I might just be 3d printing rollcages and rollbars because that should end up looking much better (I hope)

image_67200769.JPG

image_67517697.JPG

• Like 1

21 hours ago, espo said:

Great to see a young creative mind not afraid of cutting up a little plastic. 

On 9/20/2022 at 8:50 PM, dsummone said:

Nice to see the next generation of builders and tinkerers. 

Thank you both of you, its amazing to see all of this support from the veterans of this community, it means a lot

• 2 weeks later...

Well John, you are getting after it and now talking 3d printing too. 

I see that music exercise book in the last Pic. You play an instrument? 

1 hour ago, John06 said:

sorry for never updating again, the bed is actually in now! I'm going to smooth everything out and use filler to get rid of the wood pattern 

image_67186945.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 3:15 PM, Tarkmucker said:

Man, this is gonna be cool! 

On 10/5/2022 at 5:52 PM, 1930fordpickup said:

Looks like a nice little custom you have going on here John.  Just keep sanding , gluing and cutting away until you like what you have. 

Thank you both of you! I just realized how long it’s been since I’ve updated this…. The bodywork itself is mostly done now and I’ve made it able to mount to the rc crawler frame. I’ll post pictures soon

• Like 1