Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Ford F1 Truck Mild Hotrod

My Dad and I usually do a couple "Buddy Builds" per year (where we build th esame kit, however we want, and get together to talk about them, share ideas, etc). We've only done 1 so far this year, but are just finishing up. Last time I picked a '40 Ford Coupe, this time he picked a Revell/Monogram 1950 Ford F1 truck kit. I had the newest release version (yellow truck on box art), and he had multiple older versions (stock and cutom releases, in the "big box"). Here's mine, finished up last night (I will post his in a minute)...

20220921_004554.jpg

20220921_002009.jpg

20220921_002101.jpg

20220921_004559.jpg

20220921_004626.jpg

• Like 4

Normally, we get together at the end of these, get the models together and I shoot footage for a "Final" video for my YouTube channel, but he's currently pretty sick (it's Covid, despite his vacinations and several booster shots) and contagious, so we weren't able to do that. He's doing well with it FWIW. One last pic of his, sitting with one that he built a few years ago. I always enjoy getting to do this with my Dad after all these years (I'm 49, he's 71) and look forward to the next one, thanks for looking 😊

20220910_203004.jpg

20220910_202949.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks so much, guys! 🙏 

Zippi, there you are, brother! 😁 (You probly know me from a more recent "name", I'm Stephen from Small ADVentures on YouTube), I don't get on here as much as I used to. I just watched your update on your '32 Ford video a few minutes ago, I think I forgot to comment 🤦‍♂️, but it's looking great! That's my experience with their grey primer as well, but it sands out really smooth. Blue is both mine and my wife's favorite color as well, she actually said this was her favorite build I've done "for the last few years".

Espo I didn't have a lighter color blue in my preferred paint brand (Tamiya), but I have several fresh cans of TS26 (what I use on Richard Petty cars), so this truck is Petty Blue, LOL 😜 I learned the blanket trick from Throttle Power on YouTube, printed out several patterns until I found on I liked for this build and used his technique (basically just wad it up several times and it gives that textured look, and I used Mod Podge to glue it over the stock seat).

Vic Florie, Thanks, my friend 🙏 I just spoke with him on the phone a few hours ago, he said he's feeling "MUCH better" (emphasis his) than he had been a few days ago. They were out in Gatlinburg (TN, we all live in Bristol so they do this lots) for the week with their camper, they came back early today, but as my younger brother lives with them he said they'll be staying in the camper in their driveway until he's sure he won't pass it on to him (brother). I wish mine (son) was too. He's built 2 or 3 kits over the years when he was younger, but he's 20 and recently married with 3 awesome step kids (she's 31) of his own now (awesome new grand kids and we love em!), and like his old man he's a gear head so he's more into playing with his real cars than building models, hopefully as he gets older he'll have more interest 😊🤞

Hi Stephen, your post touched my heart. I lost my father suddenly when I was twelve. It's great to see father son projects like these. Your styles are so different but equally pleasing. Your fathers hot rod build reminds me of those wild customs of the late 50s and 60s that teenagers would build from junkyard parts on the cheap. Always cherish what you have with your father, it's special. 

• Like 1

Thanjks, guys! 😊🙏

Calb56 my dad actually printed that out for me (on regular printer paper), got the idea and technique from Tim at Throttle Power Youtube channel ( https://www.youtube.com/c/THROTTLEPOWER )

XYHarry I'm sorry to hear about your dad, my friend 😔 I'm 49 and he's 22 years older. There was a lot of years we didn't get along so well (still don't sometimes), but this does give us a good common ground to enjoy the relationship, we just started doing th eBuddy Builds last year (though we've often talked models and showed them to each other over the years). This was kind of reversed as far as styles go, I usually build more crusty hotrods (not quite a rat rod, but some use/patina) and he usually builds shiny ones, I guess it's just whatever mood we're each in at the time, LOL! Here's a pic of our last Buddy Build projects (using Lindberg's '40 Ford coupe), mine it the crusty one, his is the street rod (that's also his AMT '40 sedan delivery in the back)...

20211102_230117.jpg

• Like 1

great build of a great kit from rev-monogram. You did it justice. I build 2 of those and they are so fun to put together. I like them all but ,like others, I tend to find the blue one really eye catching, in fact they all look pretty cool and building Projects with your Dad is the dream of many modelers. 😎

• Like 1

Your blue Ford is a really good looking truck, very clean with just enough custom touches. Two thumbs up on that one!

Your, and your Dad’s other builds are all really cool, from the rusty crusty to the slick and shiny. It’s great that y’all build together! Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 1:34 AM, Olskoolrodder said:

Now, my Pops is retired, so he builds faster because he has more time to do so. This Buddy Build was to last from September 1 through Septmeber 30. I finished BOTH of these in the first 10 days 🤦‍♂️😂

Sanford's famous ride...

FB_IMG_1662797222041.jpg

FB_IMG_1662797226670.jpg

FB_IMG_1662797231038.jpg

FB_IMG_1662797235551.jpg

FB_IMG_1662797241224.jpg

Fantastic!... 😎👍

I love that sitcom....😁

• Like 1