Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question: Is there a wheel style/brand which "you" would like to see included (more often) as an option in a kit, or available in a parts pack?

On 9/28/2022 at 2:09 AM, Mike C. said:

It does, but it's missing the rivets. And it's six lugs.

73 el c.jpg

I don't know what they're called but I found similar 6-stud wheels in a couple of Japanese kits:

IMG_2688.JPG.7fe8a79ab6dedbf0c44db38cbe2c2c91.JPG

The bottom kit has five of these:

IMG_2689.JPG.3ec03b5f164ab183e28636ff0e436e5d.JPG

IMG_2690.JPG.8451bfc5348f28aa0ddc9b5030c67a96.JPG

Complete with some wide Yokohama Mud Digger tyres.

Also this Aoshima Hilux https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10743568

Has a set of five narrower, unplated wheels that look similar. Bridge Mud Duellers in that one.

But both have rivets, and neither give a clue as to what they're called.

On 9/24/2022 at 2:43 PM, Can-Con said:

How about some good classic wire wheels suitable for hot rods?

Steve-

As a fellow hot rod builder, I totally agree. There are some wire wheel options available from non-hot rodded versions of older cars. Some of the more 'coach' style cars, the old Cadillacs, Rolls, Lincoln et. al. and others have some wire wheels that can be modified to work for a rod. Don't overlook the wire wheels in the Revell '32 sedan kit (too modern looking?) . Norm at Reps and Miniature s of MD had some options, I don't know what he has these days. In the meantime, we'll have to make do with what we have and get creative whit what's out there.... -RRR

3 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Steve-

As a fellow hot rod builder, I totally agree. There are some wire wheel options available from non-hot rodded versions of older cars. Some of the more 'coach' style cars, the old Cadillacs, Rolls, Lincoln et. al. and others have some wire wheels that can be modified to work for a rod. Don't overlook the wire wheels in the Revell '32 sedan kit (too modern looking?) . Norm at Reps and Miniature s of MD had some options, I don't know what he has these days. In the meantime, we'll have to make do with what we have and get creative whit what's out there.... -RRR

Yes, lots of wires out there but I'd just like a good set of Kelsey-Hayes wires similar to those that came on early '30s Fords. Bent Spokes would be ideal.

I did use the Revell sedan wheels on my last '29 pickup but there's just something about them that looks "off", even after I modified the centers to accept AMT '32 Ford caps.

A good buddy of mine has a printer. If he can find a good file, maybe I'll get him to print a couple sets for me.

IMG_2890-vi.jpg

These are my two favorite wheel styles, Cragar Street Star/Weld Pro Star, and Weld Superlite II/Cragar Street Lite. It would be awesome to have them available in a kit or parts pack. I will say though, Morgan Automotive Detail casts very good examples of these wheels for a pretty good price. I had a set of Cragar Street Lite's on my 1983 Monte Carlo SS.

prostar__16680.jpg

s-l500.jpg

MYBAD83SS1.jpg

Edited by Dragonhawk1066
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 9:23 AM, Plowboy said:

I'd like to see a set of Weld Drag Lite’s. One of the most popular wheels ever and only came in the Pro Stock kits.

IMG_0306.thumb.JPG.6921c7844705dab4397a4488a377d1d0.JPG

On 10/2/2022 at 8:05 PM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

These are my two favorite wheel styles, Cragar Street Star/Weld Pro Star, and Weld Superlite II/Cragar Street Lite. It would be awesome to have them available in a kit or parts pack. I will say though, Morgan Automotive Detail casts very good examples of these wheels for a pretty good price. I had a set of Cragar Street Lite's on my 1983 Monte Carlo SS.

prostar__16680.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Fully agreed!  Drag Lites & Drag Stars (or name your equivalent from another manufacturer) have been popular ever since the mid-80s, at least.  In my opinion, they look good on almost anything.

As Roger said, I dont believe the Drag Lites have ever been offered in anything except some of the Monogram Pro Stock kits.

Drag Star type wheels are currently available in the Revell "chop top" Mustang 5.0 notchback drag kit, and were also in the nineties-tooled AMT '57 Corvette Street Machine.

image.png.a58f64ee9d4d0bbe1ef8cf004d859273.png

Aside from that, I think the only others were in some of the Pro Stock kits.

Really kind of amazing for two wheel styles that have been installed on hundreds of magazine feature cars over the course of the last 35 years.  Yet, we got Centerline type wheels up to our ears in different kits over the years.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 3:01 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

I don't know what they're called but I found similar 6-stud wheels in a couple of Japanese kits:

IMG_2688.JPG.7fe8a79ab6dedbf0c44db38cbe2c2c91.JPG

The bottom kit has five of these:

IMG_2689.JPG.3ec03b5f164ab183e28636ff0e436e5d.JPG

IMG_2690.JPG.8451bfc5348f28aa0ddc9b5030c67a96.JPG

Complete with some wide Yokohama Mud Digger tyres.

Also this Aoshima Hilux https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10743568

Has a set of five narrower, unplated wheels that look similar. Bridge Mud Duellers in that one.

But both have rivets, and neither give a clue as to what they're called.

While I’d like a couple of those wheel/tire sets, I think anywhere from $125 to $200 is absolute madness for that kit but that’s just my opinion.

On 9/27/2022 at 8:40 AM, Plowboy said:

I saw those. But, at $30 plus shipping for a set of wheels and tires, that's a hard hard pass!   

$30 is shipping included in the US, but they are not plastic tires thus the price. Rubber resin is very epensive and very hard to print right. I understand its not cheap but its not cheap for me to make and package them, there is also the time I have to put into it.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 9:23 AM, Plowboy said:

I'd like to see a set of Weld Drag Lite’s. One of the most popular wheels ever and only came in the Pro Stock kits.

IMG_0306.thumb.JPG.6921c7844705dab4397a4488a377d1d0.JPG

A set of Rod Lites would also be nice.

s-l500.jpg.7a0ab8658e2b2cf712f2367dda74c4c0.jpg  

I'd also like to see some more modern wheels like Revell did with the California Wheels and Foose kits. But, more up to date.

I have both of those and centerlines and torque thurst and cragars and others. But as others have said my prices are too high, but like I said the price to make them and ship them is not cheap.

• 5 months later...
On 10/2/2022 at 7:35 AM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Steve- Norm at Reps and Miniature s of MD had some options, I don't know what he has these days. 

I have Norm’s latest catalog saved on my IPad. He will email it to anyone that contacts him. I’m not sure how to post it here or even if it’s allowed.

I gotta plug the old Halibrand 5-slot kidneybean mag wheel with 3-blade knock-offs.

It was the original wheel in the first AMT Shelby Cobra kit (#2170) and needs to be returned to that kit.

It's a great all-purpose vintage sports car wheel (1955-63 era) and looks good painted up for competition or polished up for the car show.

The wheel was (is?) available in an AMT parts pack and was last available in 1997 in their AMT/Ertl 8435 Custom & Competition Parts Pack. The availability of that parts pack is fading into the past and needs to be renewed.

(And, yes, I'd like to see the AMT Firestone Darlington racing tire reproduced along with a Goodyear Sports Car Special racing tire!)

IMG_0344.jpeg

IMG_0347.jpeg

IMG_0346.jpeg

Halibrand Kidneybean Shelby Cobra.jpg

1959 Corvette XP-87 Stingray Racer + Elvis Presley Clambake (1967).jpg

Edited by blizzy63
  • Like 1