Model Cars Magazine Forum

Schwinn Contiental 10 Speed

Saw this kit for sale and it reminded me of the Schwinn Varsity I bought many years ago.  I put several thousand miles on that bike in the 3 years before I bought my first car.  The MPC kit was ok, there are some errors in the instructions regarding how the shift and brake cables are run.  The biggest is that the rear brake is on the right handle, reverse of what the instructions call for.  I painted mine Sunset Orange which was what I had.

P1030573.jpg

P1030574.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

Very well done. Brings back memories.

Same here. I got a similar Schwinn Varsity in metallic brown when somebody left it on our front lawn. The Police told us if nobody claims it in 30 days, it's yours. Nobody claimed it and my dad went and picked it up from the station. None of my sisters wanted it because it wasn't a girl's bike. It was a little big, but I grew into it. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 12:25 PM, TonyK said:

Very well done. Brings back memories.

Thanks, it brings back memories for me too.

On 9/25/2022 at 2:01 PM, Mike C. said:

Same here. I got a similar Schwinn Varsity in metallic brown when somebody left it on our front lawn. The Police told us if nobody claims it in 30 days, it's yours. Nobody claimed it and my dad went and picked it up from the station. None of my sisters wanted it because it wasn't a girl's bike. It was a little big, but I grew into it. 

I had the 26" frame (largest they made) and it fit me like a glove.  It was too large for others in the neighborhood so no one wanted to borrow it!

Nice model of an unusual subject.

The Schwinn brand name reminds me of the ads that appeared in American comics back in the 50's when I was at school. Those cruiser styled bikes looked so cool compared to our boring old British bikes at the time. Apart from putting cow horn shaped handlebars on them, there was nothing else we could do to make our boring bikes look cool! Of course all that changed in the 80's when the BMX bikes hit the market, and Raleigh, besides making BMX bikes brought out their Grifter bike and their Chopper bikes.

Edited by Bugatti Fan