Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Mustang Mach E

I'd buy one in 1:24 scale for sure.

And we're considering one in 1:1 scale to replace wifey's Volvo.

They're fun to drive, lots of room inside for people and for stuff. Will do everything the average driver needs a car to do. Should have just called it a Mach E and left the Mustang name off it.

Looking forward to the Shelby version that will inevitably happen.

Shelby-MachEConcept-datasheet.jpg

Cue the angry people now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rodent said:

I probably wouldn't buy one myself, but kitting more modern subjects sounds like a good way to interest younger folks in the hobby. I don't know too many 13 year olds that get weak in the knees over a 29 Model A or a 65 Belvedere.

Good point. To attract the younger builders, the manufacturers should introduce the "cool" cars that they're into now. Getting production and sales of those should in theory allow them to keep manufacturing kits for the more experienced/older builders. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Good point. To attract the younger builders, the manufacturers should introduce the "cool" cars that they're into now. Getting production and sales of those should in theory allow them to keep manufacturing kits for the more experienced/older builders. 

Cool cars have been and still are are Lambos, Mustangs, Ferraris, McClarens, Corvettes, Camaros etc.  Yes what kid is going to get excited about cars 60 to 100 years old but I also cannot see a ten year old getting excited about a Mach E SUV model.  If you were in your teens in the 80’s who was clamoring for a Minivan kit 😃. While Tesla cars are very popular I’ve yet too see a model cart of one.  Sure they are cool from a technology standpoint but they are sedans meant to get you from point A to B and the styling to me is an after thought.

Probably not. I have nothing against e cars but I am protesting the fact that they named it Mustang. With all the names from previous years Ford could have used and let the Mustang be a Mustang. Comet, Fairlane, Granada, Torino, Pinto. Well maybe not Pinto but you get what I'm saying.

But it would be nice to have more modern cars kitted in an effort to invite new people into the hobby. Why they continue to reproduce these oooolllddd kits is beyond me and I'm in my 50's.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Perspective Customs said:

Probably not. I have nothing against e cars but I am protesting the fact that they named it Mustang. With all the names from previous years Ford could have used and let the Mustang be a Mustang. Comet, Fairlane, Granada, Torino, Pinto. Well maybe not Pinto but you get what I'm saying.

But it would be nice to have more modern cars kitted in an effort to invite new people into the hobby. Why they continue to reproduce these oooolllddd kits is beyond me and I'm in my 50's.

pinto might be kinda appropriate with how fast e cars seem to be going up in smoke, i think even chong would struggle to keep up

• Haha 2

Ford already sell 3d print files of most of the range, they have done for a fair number of years now. when 3d printing was still a distance from being done at home they had files out for the full pick up range. i saw one of the prints from that time and it was like a late 90s computer game version of the truck and nothing like what we can do at home now but thats the market for models of e cars. those owners are less likely to buy a traditional model kit when they can print something at home. what I'm trying to say is we wouldn't be likelly to buy a kit, but neither are the owners. these owners like to think of themselves as a bit ahead of the rest of us so a plastic kit they have to put effort into just isn't for them, a 3d print is right up their street, as simple or as complicated as they want to make it. I'm not putting down the owners, they just dont do things the way we do or would expect

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vamach1 said:

Cool cars have been and still are are Lambos, Mustangs, Ferraris, McClarens, Corvettes, Camaros etc.  Yes what kid is going to get excited about cars 60 to 100 years old but I also cannot see a ten year old getting excited about a Mach E SUV model.  If you were in your teens in the 80’s who was clamoring for a Minivan kit 😃. While Tesla cars are very popular I’ve yet too see a model cart of one.  Sure they are cool from a technology standpoint but they are sedans meant to get you from point A to B and the styling to me is an after thought.

I get what you're saying. But I think kids today though are a lot like the kids of yesterday though. It's all about the speed. And right now, nothing is showing off speed more than the EVs. And kids today liking a somewhat bland looking family car?

What about the past? 

Chev Belair - run of the mill family car

Chev Chevelle - like a Malibu, standard family car

Ford Galaxie - family car

Pontiac GTO - based on LeMans...family car

Chrysler B platform - started as family cars

Yeah, classics now, but when new these were just average cars. Could hardly give them away when they were 5-10 years old.

Anyway, I still think kids today will get more excited over a Tesla or Mach E model that a 50s Chev or 60s Ford that has no relevance to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Perspective Customs said:

If it was Pinto the battery would need to be in the back

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

I get what you're saying. But I think kids today though are a lot like the kids of yesterday though. It's all about the speed. And right now, nothing is showing off speed more than the EVs. And kids today liking a somewhat bland looking family car?

What about the past? 

Yeah, classics now, but when new these were just average cars. Could hardly give them away when they were 5-10 years old.

Anyway, I still think kids today will get more excited over a Tesla or Mach E model that a 50s Chev or 60s Ford that has no relevance to them.

No disagreement there but how many mid 70’s to 80’s “family” cars do you see on the road or for sale?  Cars got really boring and slow and were still gas guzzlers.  By now those cars should be old enough to be cool now but I see a lot of older imports of that era than I do American cars that are in junk yards or have been destroyed.  Even 3-4 years heads turn when they see and hear and older muscle car but a silent electric vehicle would pass by without a glance.

45 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

What about the past? 

Yeah, but they're all 2 door cars. Even today, the 4 door sedan versions of those cars barely get saved for more than parts cars for the sportier models.

Nowadays all the cars are 4 door sedans, so they are hardly anything special. 

14 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Yeah, but they're all 2 door cars. Even today, the 4 door sedan versions of those cars barely get saved for more than parts cars for the sportier models.

that may be the case in america but in the rest of the world we have the audi rs series, bmw m series, mercedes amg, sneaky japanese sedans that hide skylines and evos under the skin and they all have 4 doors, but they also have racecars of them so we get to them rubbing handles on the track or flying sideays in rallying. even the suv kits that are somewhat popular aren't close to the sales of those and i expect any skyline or evo kit outsells all the suv kits combined

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

No disagreement there but how many mid 70’s to 80’s “family” cars do you see on the road or for sale?  Cars got really boring and slow and were still gas guzzlers.  By now those cars should be old enough to be cool now but I see a lot of older imports of that era than I do American cars that are in junk yards or have been destroyed.  Even 3-4 years heads turn when they see and hear and older muscle car but a silent electric vehicle would pass by without a glance.

I think I'm one of the few that love the big 70s cars! You're right though, they're not exactly cool.

24 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

All the ones I mentioned had 4 doors launched either before or at the same time as the 2 doors. Many had wagon variants too.

But you're right, the 2 doors of old are far more popular than the 4 doors.

But that's the generations of the past. Today's youth don't know any different. If 4 door is all they've ever known, then that's what they'll be into.

:)

Anyway, I'd like to see Tamiya do a Mach E, full engine visible from underneath, with opening frunk. GT Premium trim level, with the factory Brembo brakes and big mesh wheels.

1 minute ago, iamsuperdan said:

All the ones I mentioned had 4 doors launched either before or at the same time as the 2 doors. Many had wagon variants too.

But you're right, the 2 doors of old are far more popular than the 4 doors.

But that's the generations of the past. Today's youth don't know any different. If 4 door is all they've ever known, then that's what they'll be into.

:)

Anyway, I'd like to see Tamiya do a Mach E, full engine visible from underneath, with opening frunk. GT Premium trim level, with the factory Brembo brakes and big mesh wheels.

wait, issn't there an irony in asking tamiya to put an electric motor in a new kit when it took them so long for them to stop adding them? lol

• Haha 3