Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Mustang Mach E

It's still a boring vehicle, and why anyone would want a real one or a model of it escapes me.

Thanks for dumping my apparently rabidly offensive post, too.

I guess the hyper Jag C-X75 doesn't count as an "EV", even though it's a turbine-electric hybrid? Good to know.

Wouldn't want anyone to mistake mentioning a vehicle that achieved the performance of a Bugatti Veyron, the emissions of a Toyota Prius and the pure electric range of a Chevrolet Volt as anything but a rant against EVs. 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

As expected, this thread needed some cleanup.

What started as a thread about a potential plastic model kit turned into a diatribe against EV cars, and against vehicle nomenclature.

🙄

Try staying on something resembling on-topic.

F34C58F9-E138-4FB4-B7D5-B1515427EC2E.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It's still a boring vehicle, and why anyone would want a real one or a model of it escapes me.

Thanks for dumping my apparently rabidly offensive post, too.

I guess the hyper Jag C-X75 doesn't count as an "EV", even though it's a turbine-electric hybrid? Good to know.

Wouldn't want anyone to mistake mentioning a vehicle that achieved the performance of a Bugatti Veyron, the emissions of a Toyota Prius and the pure electric range of a Chevrolet Volt as anything but a rant against EVs. 

That plus the fact that if it didn’t carry the Mustang “nomenclature”, it wouldn’t even be worth discussing as possible model kit.

No more so than any other run of the mill SUV.

Steve

• Like 1

I don't get the fuss over Chevy II either.  To me, it's like Moebius and AMT set up a focus group and went, "Here's every car made between 1960 and 1969.  We want you to pick out the least interesting car possible.".  Yet apparently people are buying them, and that's good for the company.   In the real world, most people see cars as tools, and generally we like our tools to perform their tasks with as little drama as possible.

Maybe whether we see the point or not isn't nearly as important as we think.

7 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And we get it too. Dissenting opinions not allowed.

No, just every time it comes up it’s same. Like the pre 48 street rod brawl, or the airbags, or the catalysts, or save the stick,….

Opinions are great. I agree with some, consider others. But (not just you Bill) everyone shouts opinion, if you disagree, they shout louder and demonize you. Ergo no progress. Lather (literally), rinse, repeat. 
Wait til Fords Nucleon comes out, that’ll be hilarious. 
https://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/17/nuclear-powered-atomic-age-classic-cars/

32 minutes ago, keyser said:

...Wait til Fords Nucleon comes out, that’ll be hilarious. 

bbbbbbutt...it's nookulur !!!!!  OMG OMG OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the meantime, I'm holding out for the Studebaker Manta Ray, which obtains its environmentally-sustainable energy from decomposing medical waste fed to genetically-modified electric eels wired in series, living in an onboard tank.

1951 Studebaker Manta Ray concept : Autos

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

8 minutes ago, keyser said:

No, just every time it comes up it’s same. Like the pre 48 street rod brawl, or the airbags, or the catalysts, or save the stick,….

Opinions are great. I agree with some, consider others. But (not just you Bill) everyone shouts opinion, if you disagree, they shout louder and demonize you. Ergo no progress. Lather (literally), rinse, repeat. 
Wait til Fords Nucleon comes out, that’ll be hilarious. 

that looks like a batmobile and a falcon had a baby

Not to be a broken record, but I too dislike the new SUVstang.  BUT - my beef with it isn't that it shouldn't be named 'Mustang' - its more that it's a missed opportunity.  They could've done something REALLY wild and raised the bar.  Something incredibly cutting edge, design wise, that makes every other car out there look dated just by existing.  Do something amazing with aggressive planes and stance, something so futuristic and wild looking that it would be just as much of a revelation as the original Mustang was, but adapted to a much-changed market place.  Lets face it, SUVs are probably the what we're going to be seeing the most of by FAR in the next 20-30 years (compared to sedans and compacts of years gone by), but no-one has made that ICONIC future-classic SUV yet.  One that you'd want to own and drive even if you didn't NEED everything it has to offer - just because, as car guys, we think its KILLER.  Like the VW Beetle was, or the Mini or other 'regular' cars that were actually kinda extraordinary.

Instead, we got something that kinda looks like a Hyundai...but imagine something like this adapted with a higher waist and roofline:

LA Auto Show: nature-inspired futuristic concept vehicles | Guardian  Sustainable Business | The Guardian

Or like this, but a little longer and lower... incorporate the iconic three-bar Mustang taillights into the rear and a futuristic take on a classic 5-spoke wheel pushed right out to each corner

Best Car Concepts, Designs and Random Automotive Weirdness from 2021 -  Core77

I have similar thoughts on what the new version of the Mini could've been too - I'd drive THIS...but not the one we have now:

P90222685_highRes_mini-vision-next-100.jpg.4a23ff57e6a3edb13bc479012b49b9f6.jpg

I guess I'd just like to see someone pushing things forward more - but also, I recognize that the team that designed the Mustang SUV likely wasn't designing it for people who want a crazy futuristic cutting edge sportscar that can seat the family AND scare you when you plant your foot to the floor...it was likely much more the 35-45 age demographic of people who want the coolness of owning a 'Mustang', but with room in the back to take the kids places and run to IKEA to get a bookcase before heading to yoga.

In the meantime, I'll keep waiting for that SUV that makes me go 'WOW - I WANT one!'

Edited by CabDriver
  • Like 1

A few of comments....hopefully more to the core of this thread....

1) Mustang Mach E is now selling faster and in bigger volumes than any other other Electric Vehicle than the Tesla Model 3 and Model Y in the US market, and reportedly has a huge backlog of unfilled orders.  It's also doing very well in certain European markets (e.g. Norway), and I believe it is now selling in China as well.  Must be pretty appealing to some...

2) Comments about model kit topics appealing to young people is as valid today as it has ever been.  My hope is that the new tool AMT 2021 Bronco 2-door kit will tap a bit of relevance to this market, at least in the States/Canada'Mexico.  As would a Generation 7 2024 Mustang Dark Horse or any of the C8 mid-ehgine Corvettes.   But I'm (relatively) old now; what would I know about this subject? 

3) The AMT article copied above is worth a read for anyone interested in how the model car market works.  The AMT National Sales Manager quoted throughout the article, Tom Valmassei, was the guy I dealt with in doing contract projects for AMT in 1975-78.  Nice guy, and I learned a lot about the kit business from him and his AMT colleagues.   But note the comments predicting the Budweiser Clydesdale team still being in the catalog ten year into the future.   Nope (at least not that I recall).  '32 Fords, '57 Chevies, Peterbilts and Kenworths, still cranking it out 40+ years later, and especially Star Trek subjects.  But scale horses...not so much. 

TB 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As the OP of this post , it has had remarks a bit of topic for the original question, But I don't  mind , I like the adversity of the comments. 

In addition to my opening post I would like to add that I think the use of the Mustang moniker was slam on the history of the Mustang and should have had a more suitable name  such as maybe "Ampster" , it still has a animal vibe or a more stylish body design such as the regular edition of the 2023 Mustang.  It is akin to calling the Chevy Bolt a Corvette 

As far as cleaning up the thread I think it should have been my call to do it if I found it necessary.  

Edited by Jon Haigwood
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

1) Mustang Mach E is now selling faster and in bigger volumes than any other other Electric Vehicle than the Tesla Model 3 and Model Y in the US market, and reportedly has a huge backlog of unfilled orders.  It's also doing very well in certain European markets (e.g. Norway), and I believe it is now selling in China as well.  Must be pretty appealing to some...

And the Chevette was the best-selling small car in the U.S. for model years 1979 and 1980, with 2.8 million sales over its 12 year run.

But all public demand really proves is that stunning mediocrity sells well.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY

Not anymore. Mediocrity dies usually. 
Ford doesn’t make cars anymore really. Mustang, Continental, thassit. 
It’s really a MachE. 
SUVs are it now. Largest selling Toyota is RAV4, hasn’t been a car in years. 
I choke on Lambo/Ferrari/RR/Bentley/Porsche SUVs but they outsell cars by multiples. 
Porsche got saved by SUVs. 
My wife has a GLC63S, tuned, stupid fast. I still won’t have one for myself. ICE or die. 🤷🏻But I respect them for tech. 
Horses for courses. 

28 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And the Chevette was the best-selling small car in the U.S. for model years 1979 and 1980, with 2.8 million sales over its 12 year run.

But all public demand really proves is that stunning mediocrity sells well.

Lots of ho hum cars were sold for basic transportation but this does automatically translate to model kit sales.  At the time there were probably good sales of Pintos and Vegas and K-cars other econobox cars but assuming that 99% of them are no longer on the roads what person under 30 will even know what one is much less say wow I need to pay $30 for that kit.  While the Electric SUV is more pleasant looking from a stying point and the demand for them shows they are desirable as a practical full size vehicle, I believe the demand for a kit (glue or snap) would be minimal.  I think most of us modelers fall into the trap of wanting what is NOT available and assuming enough others would want the same thing to make it viable from a profitability standpoint.

• Like 1

Every generation has it's own ho-hum family sedans GO back to the 50s. Mid-50s Chev 210 sedan. With that crazy 6-cylinder engine and 135hp. Or go nuts with a 180hp V8. These days, people see that thing as stylish and cool, even with that awkward roof line, but it was the run of the mill family sedan back in the day. 

And cars like that totally translate to models. 

The older crowd want their kits of cars from the 50s, and how often here do we see people asking about wheels and inline-6 engines, so they can recreate a base model? It happens all the time.

The slightly younger crowd like me enjoy the big boats from the 70s or the malaise of the 80s. Just like the old timers, it's what we grew up knowing and experiencing, and as such, it's what we like building.

And what are today's teens and pre-teens going to be into? Most likely the cars they see on the roads, and in their parents' garages and in movies, and in video games and tiktok videos and on YouTube.

The reissued Pinto kit has a few different versions and is selling well. Cars don't get much more mediocre than a Pinto.

There's demand for the Revell mid-90s Caprice. Again, pretty bland.

Hasegawa, Aoshima, Fujimi, and even Tamiya to an extent have all done incredibly well with selling their kits of everyday cars. Look at the demand for the Aoshima Chev Astro van. Or Tamiya's Volvo 850 wagon.  

And now Revell have their Audi e-tron EV coming out and the pre-sales look to be really strong. So I guess people do actually want cars, even if it is just a fancy four door.

On 9/27/2022 at 11:58 AM, Tabbysdaddy said:

A Chevette kit is on my want list.

I would buy a Tesla kit. 

On 9/27/2022 at 12:09 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Mine too...

Super Sleeper: 427 Powered 1978 Chevrolet Chevette - ClubLexus - Lexus ...

Maybe if enough people ask the good folks at Round 2, they'll bring this back?

1115724-18821-86-720.jpg

Edited by Richard Bartrop
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Which must explain the failure of Microsoft, Walmart, etc. 

No. There’s a difference between affordability and mediocrity. Lots of stuff affordable that isn’t mediocre. Huge stratum differences that WM covers. MSFT I prob defer to best of the available. Motorola and BlackBerry were the bomb, until they weren’t. Nokia too. 
Winders 95 and XP were pretty stable backbones. Rants available, but I ran my biz on them. 

Consider cheap tools vs. reasonably priced stuff vs full FACOM. Glad I have 50+yo Craftsman. 

21 hours ago, Perspective Customs said:

But it would be nice to have more modern cars kitted in an effort to invite new people into the hobby. Why they continue to reproduce these oooolllddd kits is beyond me and I'm in my 50's.

Yes i have to constantly check scalemates on kits i buy to see if it's the first version or the 20th reboxed version lol.  I love older cars and don't mind a lot of the reissue's that come out because i don't have them.  At the same time though i do agree that they do re-issue kits to much especially when it's just a new box. I wish tamiya, and other japan companies would produce cars like revell and amt does cause the quality is so much better.  I'm only 33 and eventually this hobby will get stagnant for me when it comes to cars specifically , and only buying certain kits.  This is why i don't just buy car kits - I have big rig tractor kits, motorcycle kits, few boat kits, fire truck kits, etc etc.  I have enough kits in my hobby room that the rate that i work on them i would be 55 years old before everyone of them got finished LOL.  Lot of kits i buy now are mostly older kits from tamiya or aoshima that look like that came out today.

Far as inviting new folks in it's gonna be tough especially considering how todays world is cell phones etc etc.  Most teenager/adults these days don't have an attention span longer than 20 secs lol thanks to tic toc.  There is no way in the world most teenager/adults  these days are gonna do what WE do with these model kits for a display model.  I know i started in the hobby late, and the reason why i love this hobby and it's not because of paint or etc - it's because i love working with my hands and taking a box of plastic and making it look as close as possible to the 1:1 version. BUT if it wasn't for ollies having kits for $7 -$8, and me buying one just to see what it was about - i probably wouldn't be in the hobby today simply because i knew nothing about a model kit or any websites, and only hobby shops i have are over a hour away, and my main thing was mostly gaming and legos far as side hobbies go. But I'm pretty loyal to the hobby i even spent few grand to remodel my old bed room at my parents house and turned it into a model room, and now i have thousand's of dollars in airbrushes, paint, tools, and kits lol. 

Edited by Dpate
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 12:22 PM, Richard Bartrop said:

Maybe if enough people ask the good folks at Round 2, they're bring this [ 1978 Chevy  Chevette ] back?

That kit is a treasure trove of cool accessories! I have an unbuilt original (I'd built countless copies back when it and its ad sequitur annuals were new) that I'll get to some day.

Now, I must wonder what possibilities exist when it comes to design of E.V.'s? No EPA fuel economy standards to cater to, not emissions standards -- why not go crazy with designs? Talk about retro and individualised styles again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1