Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hurricane Ian

RSchnell

We dodged the worst in Miami but some areas within 20 miles had some tornado damage and typical flooding.  Several small planes were flipped over and damaged at North Perry airport yesterday.  Many offices and schools are closed today.  Be safe my fellow Floridians.

Update:  4:30pm and we are getting the last of the rain from the outer bands coming through now.

E77A3149-732D-4CD3-BA8E-07F5868115FC.jpeg

8B0A2B8C-3462-4E5A-8E4B-BEF91D057395.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

4 hours ago, slusher said:

l been thinking about Jim, it did  come in south of him"..

I think Jim is in Citrus Springs (Crystal River/Ocala area) which is a couple hours north of Tampa so I'm guessing he's doing okay .  We're in Citrus Park (NW part of Hillsborough County/Tampa) so we're on the weaker side of the storm and are expecting the wind gusts and rain to pick up this evening and thru the night , probably will be some trees down and maybe some minor flooding here but hopefully not too serious .

Edited by TooOld

On 9/28/2022 at 9:34 AM, vamach1 said:

We dodged the worst in Miami but some areas within 20 miles had some tornado damage and typical flooding.  Several small planes were flipped over and damaged at North Perry airport yesterday.  Many offices and schools are closed today.  Be safe my fellow Floridians.

Update:  4:30pm and we are getting the last of the rain from the outer bands coming through now.

E77A3149-732D-4CD3-BA8E-07F5868115FC.jpeg

8B0A2B8C-3462-4E5A-8E4B-BEF91D057395.jpeg

Some of the devastation on the west coast is almost unfathomable. The worst we had here in S. (east side) FL was on Tuesday night. This happened a few miles form me while I was driving in it! 

I've heard from most I know in the path, some I haven't heard from yet. A friend in Naples said he got his power back on yesterday, which is amazing... -RRR

18 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Did that tree actually pull up the sidewalk?

Doesn't look like those any of those trees had very deep root base.

Hopefully they missed the houses. 

Yep It pulled that section of sidewalk up. Oaks & Camphor trees are usually the first to go in a hurricane, their root system isn't very deep at all. At least not around here!

11 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Some of the devastation on the west coast is almost unfathomable. The worst we had here in S. (east side) FL was on Tuesday night. This happened a few miles form me while I was driving in it! 

I've heard from most I know in the path, some I haven't heard from yet. A friend in Naples said he got his power back on yesterday, which is amazing... -RRR

I've been following the Ft. Myers news on FB. Ft. Myers Beach & Sanibel are absolutely destroyed. A lot of history gone, just mind boggling to see the photos. I hope Thomas Edison's & Henry Ford's houses escaped any serious damage. I considered moving down that way but just the traffic was a bit much for me.

Got lucky here in Naples. Only lost power for 18 hours or so, probably because all of the power infrastructure in my area was replaced after being decimated by Irma. I live about 7 miles inland on a freshwater canal so I didn't have the storm surge that wrecked coastal areas. There's some cleanup I need to do in the yard but not too bad.

I'm the front office manager at a 183 room hotel on the Gordon River where it meets Naples Bay. Our property was built 7 years ago to withstand both category 4 winds and worst-case storm surge and made it through with flying colors. We're open running on enormous generators and are accommodating FP&L crews who are working to restore power in the area. Our executive chef has been working hard to set up a "soup kitchen" to provide free meals to our guests who can't go out to eat with local restaurants closed. The downtown area sustained significant damage and the beachfront is a wreck. My old hotel on the beach had 8 feet of water inundating the ground floor.

The devastation on the Lee County barrier islands is heartbreaking. Ft. Myers Beach, Matlacha, Sanibel, Captiva... these areas will take years to recover. So much history and local color was lost and it can never be the same. One of my favorite day trips would be to hop in the Miata and take the long route up to the Bubble Room in Captiva for dinner. Seeing all the places that I know well along that drive destroyed is... there aren't really words for it. That doesn't even take into account the human misery. The death toll, which won't be known for a while. People displaced and homeless. 

I love this area. SW Florida has its frustrations and annoyances like anywhere else but when it comes down to it we pull together. In that spirit we will rebuild. Hopefully smarter. Hopefully stronger. The reality is that storms are getting more powerful and major storms seem to be more frequent and damaging. 

I saw these horrible pictures on line.Due to 🫣😭 hurricane Ian, this poor guy had his prize winning Mopars totaled.One was a 69 Dodge Daytona,along with a demolished 70 Plymouth Superbird..As a huge fan of Mopars,this really hurts just to even look at.😱😫.

765F1544-342F-4D0D-9735-04F7C93C8491.jpeg

A2C93BEC-2D65-406D-A935-54D80F4E11E4.jpeg

EEE1ED04-C4A3-4156-81E4-E63B90046FB3.jpeg

• Sad 1