Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1959 Continental --restoration of original issue kit

rsmodels

I've been busy and haven't posted a model for a while so thought I'd take some photos today. This one has Modelhaus bumpers, hubcaps, and hood ornament. The tires are original 1959 issue. I realize there are better tires available and sometimes use them but I like the looks of these originals. I guess I'm nostalgic. The trim, of course, is Bare Metal Foil.

I really like the 59 Continentals and have four built. I posted my black Craftsman series one a few months ago. I'll probably build another at some point.

I appreciate your taking the time to look and hope you like this one. I'm always open to comments ,questions, and suggestions, and appreciate them all.

I would like to ask for some honest opinions. I know I still need to improve my photos but it has been suggested to me that my backgrounds may be distracting to some people. I usually try to include original boxes in the background because I like seeing them.

I could use a plain background just as easily and would like to know what you all would prefer. I'll go with the majority.

Thanks again for looking.   -Rich

DSC02425.JPG

DSC02411.JPG

DSC02417.JPG

DSC02388.JPG

DSC02393.JPG

DSC02392.JPG

DSC02410.JPG

DSC02377 (2).JPG

DSC02377 (3).JPG

DSC02379.JPG

DSC02393.JPG

DSC02397.JPG

DSC02403.JPG

DSC02415.JPG

DSC02425 (3).JPG

DSC02427.JPG

DSC02431.JPG

DSC02433.JPG

DSC02434.JPG

DSC02436.JPG

DSC02437.JPG

DSC02439 (2).JPG

DSC02440.JPG

• Like 5

Very good-looking restoration, beautiful choice of color, and nice BMF work.  I do find the boxes to be a distraction and make it difficult sometimes to focus on the build itself.  I am often distracted by the pictures of what is in the boxes as I reminisce of the days of my youth.

Another beautiful build of vintage kit. It's always a pleasure to see your builds Rich. Personally, I prefer a background for my photos but it's a personal preference and, as it's your model, it's your choice to display as you see fit. A few well taken photos in different angles and views when we can see the model in focus and crisp details is always nice to look at. Why not try a mix of photos with the box and some with a background ? In the end, it's your model, your choice, I will enjoy looking at your models whatever the background maybe. Please , keep them coming.

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

Very good-looking restoration, beautiful choice of color, and nice BMF work.  I do find the boxes to be a distraction and make it difficult sometimes to focus on the build itself.  I am often distracted by the pictures of what is in the boxes as I reminisce of the days of my youth.

Ricky, thanks for your comments and for giving your thoughts about the backgrounds.

1 hour ago, happy grumpy said:

Another beautiful build of vintage kit. It's always a pleasure to see your builds Rich. Personally, I prefer a background for my photos but it's a personal preference and, as it's your model, it's your choice to display as you see fit. A few well taken photos in different angles and views when we can see the model in focus and crisp details is always nice to look at. Why not try a mix of photos with the box and some with a background ? In the end, it's your model, your choice, I will enjoy looking at your models whatever the background maybe. Please , keep them coming.

Thank you Mario, a mix sounds like a good solution. I may try that.

39 minutes ago, Street Rod said:

Another beautiful model! Personally, I don’t mind the boxes as a background. I usually don’t pay much attention to backgrounds unless it’s part of the display of a model, like dioramas, etc.

Thank you Doyle, about my model and your opinion on photo backgrounds.

Edited by rsmodels

Another beautiful build! I’m always impressed with your mastery of script details. Simply stunning! 
As for the photos I think a mix would work well. I, too, like looking at the old boxes, but they do take away from the subject at large. A less busy background lets the details stand out and you’re not mentally trying to separate the subject from the background. For instance in pictures 1 & 15 the bit of the red and white car on the box that’s behind back edge of the deck appears, at first glance,to be a part of the car. 
Lighting could be better, too. There seems to be a yellow tint to most of your pics. The picture second to the bottom is the big exception. I’m guessing this is the only pic that closely replicates the true colors of the car. I don’t know what changed in this pic, but whatever it was it worked. I assume the others are shot under “soft white” lighting. Not that my pics are all that good, but I usually try to use at least one “daylight” bulb and 1 or 2 other sources of light (usually a mix of a daylight bulb and a fluorescent and/or actual daylight) I try different angles of light and subject to soften the shadows and or to highlight a detail. This seems to give me a reasonably true representation of the subject.

978F2762-E003-4AFB-B5C2-A6CF6C78B3AB.thumb.jpeg.0fe38b9fd1d45ef8818706726a0918dc.jpegThis is how I take quick workbench photos. Even this shot shows there’s a bit of green tint from the fluorescent light that I wasn’t aware of until taking this pic. Another daylight bulb would be better. (I’m in the midst of cleaning up that clutter on the bench!)

20 hours ago, iBorg said:

This is proof that gold can be made with ancient plastic.

Thanks Mike

20 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Super clean build of a vintage kit not often seen. I agree with those suggesting a neutral and less distracting back ground. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Tom, and thanks for your thoughts on a background.

17 hours ago, #1 model citizen said:

Another beautiful build! I’m always impressed with your mastery of script details. Simply stunning! 
As for the photos I think a mix would work well. I, too, like looking at the old boxes, but they do take away from the subject at large. A less busy background lets the details stand out and you’re not mentally trying to separate the subject from the background. For instance in pictures 1 & 15 the bit of the red and white car on the box that’s behind back edge of the deck appears, at first glance,to be a part of the car. 
Lighting could be better, too. There seems to be a yellow tint to most of your pics. The picture second to the bottom is the big exception. I’m guessing this is the only pic that closely replicates the true colors of the car. I don’t know what changed in this pic, but whatever it was it worked. I assume the others are shot under “soft white” lighting. Not that my pics are all that good, but I usually try to use at least one “daylight” bulb and 1 or 2 other sources of light (usually a mix of a daylight bulb and a fluorescent and/or actual daylight) I try different angles of light and subject to soften the shadows and or to highlight a detail. This seems to give me a reasonably true representation of the subject.

978F2762-E003-4AFB-B5C2-A6CF6C78B3AB.thumb.jpeg.0fe38b9fd1d45ef8818706726a0918dc.jpegThis is how I take quick workbench photos. Even this shot shows there’s a bit of green tint from the fluorescent light that I wasn’t aware of until taking this pic. Another daylight bulb would be better. (I’m in the midst of cleaning up that clutter on the bench!)

Thanks John, I really appreciate your comments. A busy background doesn't bother me but I took another look and see what you mean about the car on the box looking like it's part of my model. I see why the background could be a distraction to some people. I just never thought about it.

And you are correct, the next to last photo does show the true colors better than the other photos. I was closer to the model when I took that photo. I know I need to get better lighting. I added another light but it's not enough. I think I'm going to buy a light box which will have different color backgrounds. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. 

By the way, your work bench looks less cluttered than mine!   -Rich

7 hours ago, slusher said:

Absolutely Stunning!

Thank you Carl!

Oh boy that's a pearl, I love these baroque style Lincolns, there my favorite Lincolns other than the Mark ll, I've built 2 of these one a Palmer, and a AMT, and still have a couple more in the stash unbuilt. I appreciate the original box art but you're builds can speak for themselves, maybe one with the boxes then go from there. Again thanks for posting 👍

On 9/29/2022 at 6:21 PM, Paul Payne said:

Beautiful detailing on a complex car- Well done!

On 9/29/2022 at 7:48 PM, oldscool said:

Outstanding job!

On 9/29/2022 at 11:05 PM, Kah puts said:

Oh boy that's a pearl, I love these baroque style Lincolns, there my favorite Lincolns other than the Mark ll, I've built 2 of these one a Palmer, and a AMT, and still have a couple more in the stash unbuilt. I appreciate the original box art but you're builds can speak for themselves, maybe one with the boxes then go from there. Again thanks for posting 👍

On 9/30/2022 at 7:33 AM, Tom99 said:

Another beautiful build.

On 9/30/2022 at 10:55 AM, drodg said:

Gorgeous

On 9/30/2022 at 11:01 AM, thatz4u said:

very well done, looks real....

Thanks Paul, Gerald, Glen, Tom, David, and Al.  I really appreciate all your comments.  -Rich