Model Cars Magazine Forum

'74 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus

pack rat

Decided to try something a little different.  

I started with an old '74 Road Runner test shot (a mix of Road Runner and Roscoe-era parts, before it was "accurized" into the Daisy Duke version).

Basically out of the box (bag, actually) with the hood scoop removed and replaced with a section of a '69 Charger roof, a dashboard from an MPC Super Charger, "premier" wheel covers from a '66 Charger annual and a whole bunch of chrome trim cut from evergreen strip.

The paint is an airbrushed mix of Tamiya TS-38 gunmetal and TS-52 candy lime green in an attempt to simulate Avacado Gold...I missed by a mile, but I don't mind the look.  The Satellite badges were copied from a Moebius '65 Satellite body.  They're a little cheesy-looking, I'm working on fixing that.

Not 100% accurate, but it was fun.     

zzzzz1.JPG

zzzzz2.JPG

zzzzz3.JPG

zzzzz4.JPG

zzzzz5.JPG

• Like 15

Beautiful looking paint color and finish. I'm not sure of the color you said you were trying for, but this looks great to me. Nice to see this as a more mainstream body style. All the trim looks really cleanly done and I like the body stripe as well.  

14 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

!!!NICE!!! Did you retain the kit's 'generic' Chrysler B/RB engine? I know that the Sebring/Plus could be had with the 400-HP/4-speed.

Nice, classy RP23 appearance, too. IIRC, Missing Link offers -or did offer- those wheel covers.

Thanks....and now I know what an RP23 is (yeah, I had to Google it).

I built the kit engine as-is...let's call it the non-HP 400. (E64...something else I learned on that Google search!)      

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drodg said:

This is a great build.  I always wanted to build a 73-74 Satellite and you hit it spot on.  What stripes did you use or did you hand paint the pin stripes?

I used this roll of Gunze pinstripe tape I picked up at my LHS many years ago.  No idea if it's still available. 

zzzzzzxx 001.JPG

Wpw! Amazing build! I like the more mainstream look of this one for that era. As someone mentioned, the muscle car era was over and this is what most cars looked like then. I love Avacado Gold. Although you missed it by a mile, as you said, I think the color is very nice and suits the build perfectly.

Later-