Model Cars Magazine Forum

A small rant.

Brutalform

I understand that the rules on this board are there for a reason. But what I don’t understand is why do some of the ads on this board conflict with the rules. 
Example: Donkeypox is destroying America add seems to pop up regularly, conflicting with the “no politics” rule. But the one that really gets me is the ad I’ve seen with a woman with these large, rubber latex lips, that looks like a sexual device. I must have a dirty mind to think this, but I just think about some of our younger users on the board viewing this. I dunno, maybe it’s just me? Rant over. 

• Haha 1

Believe me. We wish we had some sort of control over the ads that appear here. 

But the ads are totally a Google thing. We cannot pick and choose what ads appear on the board.

And we definitely get some interesting ones, because of all the discussion about "models." 

And with "drag models" being discussed here quite a bit, that definitely tweaks some of the google algorithms!

• Haha 2

Thanks. I get ya! I kinda felt a little weird asking, because I wouldn’t want to start a debate and have a thread locked. “Models” is a pretty broad term to be searched by Google. 
Just last night, my wife and I were talking with the TV off, and we don’t have Siri anywhere in the house, and when we turned YouTube on, the suggestions were in relation to our discussion. But that’s where we are at today I suppose. Thanks again. 

Blame Google and your browsing history. The ads are tailored to reflect what you've been looking at with your computer. Everyone sees different ads. I've never seen the ads you're referring too, don't even know what donkeypox is, I assume it's similar to monkeypox though

Last year, I looked up the proper name for a style of Stetson hat for another member here. I've been getting ads for western hats, boots and clothing ever since, but it is falling off.

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

My wife is of Ukrainian heritage and my daughter is quite involved in competitive Ukrainian dance. Combine that with my searching for info on models, and we get some interesting ads at home!

Apparently hot Ukrainian women are looking for Canadian men. 

Lol… hot Canadian men, or just mediocre Canadian men? I can move to Canada if it’s the latter. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Ads can be irritating I know, but if they are funding this forum then I am prepared to let them be.

If every user decided to use an ad blocker then where would we be?   On pay to use forums that's where!

A UK forum named Scale Models Forum used to be free to post and reply on. Not any more. Their newly introduced annual fee is reasonable at £10 per annum. But if every model making forum went over to pay to use, then the users will be forced to make choices about what ones are really important to them. If this were to happen there would be many forums that would fall by the wayside. So yes, I am prepared to put up with the adverts if it means keeping forums like this one solvent.

Incidentally, on many other forums you cannot upload pictures directly as you can on this one without having to use a third party hosting site. We all know about the Tinypics and Photobucket debacles in the past.

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 2

Well since the ads are based upon your search and viewing history I sometimes actually click them. I bought a couple of kits from my banner ad for Hobby Sense.

ad.PNG.960dfff4899c3388652a2008d8527dd3.PNG

Have a guy on one of my car forums that complains that all ne ever get's is ads for bras and panties. Does NOT get that the results are based upon his history!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unless you are having an issue with ads covering content then I think it worth putting up with the ads.

I see several issues with paying for the site. Some will not have the money to spend. Others will be unwilling to pay. And finally what about those who contribute Wips, tips, and other useful info. Should they have to pay. Plus who's going to handle handling the administration tasks. Just don't see paying for the site is a good thing.

On 9/29/2022 at 11:13 AM, Brutalform said:

I understand that the rules on this board are there for a reason. But what I don’t understand is why do some of the ads on this board conflict with the rules. 
Example: Donkeypox is destroying America add seems to pop up regularly, conflicting with the “no politics” rule. But the one that really gets me is the ad I’ve seen with a woman with these large, rubber latex lips, that looks like a sexual device. I must have a dirty mind to think this, but I just think about some of our younger users on the board viewing this. I dunno, maybe it’s just me? Rant over. 

I didn't read all the replies, so this might have been covered.

1. Ads on any website you go to are driven by your internet use and search history. So you will see ads related to what you do or search for ont the internet. The people that manage this forum have zero control over what ads you see.

2. Please join us in the 21st century and use an ad blocker.  They are free. If you use Google Chrome for your internet browser do a search for an ad blocker chrome extension, install it, and enjoy nearly ad free internet use.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ctruss53 said:

2. Please join us in the 21st century and use an ad blocker.  They are free. If you use Google Chrome for your internet browser do a search for an ad blocker chrome extension, install it, and enjoy nearly ad free internet use.

But, how will the forum generate operating revenue?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ctruss53 said:

Ummm, the forum belongs to a business that sells things. They can make money there.

They sell magazines, which has been a dying industry for many years. I don't think they can afford to keep throwing money at something that doesn't turn some kind of profit. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

They sell magazines, which has been a dying industry for many years. I don't think they can afford to keep throwing money at something that doesn't turn some kind of profit. 

Money generated from ads on a forum doesn't amount to much anyways.

Go ahead and "support" the forum by keeping the ads.  But that is your choice. You can choose to see ads AND complain about the ads.

54 minutes ago, ctruss53 said:

Money generated from ads on a forum doesn't amount to much anyways.

Go ahead and "support" the forum by keeping the ads.  But that is your choice. You can choose to see ads AND complain about the ads.

I didn't say you can't complain, go for it. I'm sure you wouldn't mind that ad revenue in your pocket though.